Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved Monday, 3/12/18 & struggling!

I was sleeved on Monday, March 12th, 2018 and life is getting harder than I could ever imagine! Day #6 today has been the worst! I can barely drink enough Protein Shakes to reach about 35grams of Protein, about 40 oz. of fluids, stomach bloating even though I am using gas x thin strips, no bm since last Sunday! Not able to take crushed bitter tasting meds as much as needed! My treadmill died, the weather is not cold and rainy to walk, can't drive, no transportation for Monday and Tuesday, no one to help me if needed...my list goes on and on! The only positive point is that I'm NOT having acid reflux! I was so excited to get this surgery since I've been waiting for 9 years to get approved. Completed the program in 2 months and 10 days! I'm hoarse, tired, grouchy, in pain, and at times wish I had done prep a little differently.

I was sleeved on Monday, March 12th, 2018 and life is getting harder than I could ever imagine! Day #6 today has been the worst! I can barely drink enough Protein Shakes to reach about 35grams of Protein, about 40 oz. of fluids, stomach bloating even though I am using gas x thin strips, no bm since last Sunday! Not able to take crushed bitter tasting meds as much as needed! My treadmill died, the weather is not cold and rainy to walk, can't drive, no transportation for Monday and Tuesday, no one to help me if needed...my list goes on and on! The only positive point is that I'm NOT having acid reflux! I was so excited to get this surgery since I've been waiting for 9 years to get approved. Completed the program in 2 months and 10 days! I'm hoarse, tired, grouchy, in pain, and at times wish I had done prep a little differently.

You’ve waited 9 years for this. Don’t let one week get you down. What you’re describing is pretty much what everyone goes through the first week. Things will get better and better. And then the weight will start coming off and you won’t even remember the first week!

9 hours ago, gkhtoys said:

It gets better! We're surgery twins. I had mine on Monday, March 12th as well. What will really help is getting up and walking. At the risk of being too pushy, it is only rain. Throw on a hooded jacket and go out for even just 10 minutes, 3 times per day. GasX really only works once the gas is absorbed. To get the gas to move and to be absorbed, walking is key. Get some Colace and Miralax to help get the bowels moving.

I don't believe you necessarily planned poorly. I felt much the same way for a while. Today is the first day that I am really starting to feel like myself. I have pain from the port site incision and it has finally dulled down some. Try to get in a little more Protein and Water today. If you continue to have difficulty, it is time to reach out to your surgeon.

I could hardly get down half a Protein Shake the first week or so. It took everything i had to stay hydrated so I focused more on that. We were in the middle of Hurricane Harvey so I could not walk outside but walked all I could around the house. The gas will pass when you move and once you poo you will also feel better. Totally normal to feel frustrated right now. Hang in there!

Couldn't take my meds either. It was at the point where I would hate yogurt and pudding for the rest of my life if I continued to mix my meds in them. Doctor said it was okay to forgo the gallbladder medicine. I called my shrink to get my usual prescription in an orally dissolvable tablet. My insurance didn't cover it and they wanted $800 for a month's supply. I'm off two meds so far until I can swallow tablets. I've got 2.5 weeks to go. It's insane. I hear you!!

Gas X strips were useless on me too! Started taking children's dose of milk of magnesia twice a day and my cramping and bloating finally went away in about two days.

Wasn't getting enough Water in either. I started drinking out of a 24 oz tumbler with a straw (big no no) and found that I drink my crystal light water like it's Diet Coke. LOL For some reason the tumbler and straw have helped me reached my water goals.

I didn't think it would be this difficult. Once I think I have something down, I need to figure something else out. Everything feels so up in the air - Well, I'll try this, and ok, let's see what happens if I do this..nope, gotta try something else. It's such new ground and there's no way for us to predict how our bodies will react to anything right now. It's very frustrating when at the same time we need to follow guidelines from the surgeon.

Edited by logicwand

I was sleeved 3/12 as well. First 3 days were miserable. Soooo bloated and I had to force myself to get in Protein and Water by drinking out of 1oz cups and setting a timer on my phone for every 10 min.

Today I’m feeling 1000x better and I even got out of the house this weekend to socialize. 2 things that I think really helped are first, walking. Since the day I got home from the hospital I forced myself to go outside and walk around the block 2x every few hours. It adds up. I’m doing 2-3 mi/day. Second is a belly binder that I bought from Amazon. Keeps mild pressure on my stomach (like hugging a pillow) and really helps when I walk or get up from sitting. Hope this helps and good luck!

Today is so much easier than ever before! I got dressed all by myself, went to the grocery store and walked the entire store without help! I couldn't pick up everything in my buggy because I had several big cases of water! Thanks for all of the encouragement!

24 minutes ago, gkhtoys said:

Today is so much easier than ever before! I got dressed all by myself, went to the grocery store and walked the entire store without help! I couldn't pick up everything in my buggy because I had several big cases of water! Thanks for all of the encouragement!

Yep, each day you heal a little bit more and a little less pain. Keep soldiering on!

Stay on top of the constipation- it will cause problems! It rained for a week straight after my procedure! I ended up waling in a circle around the inside of my house.