Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal hernia and sleeve surgery

Is there any chance you misunderstood? It's just so bizarre. For a surgeon to fix a hiatial hernia during vsg or RNY surgery takes less than 5 minutes and a few stitches. I have never heard of a surgeon with your surgeons point of view. On the other hand, most surgeons will not do bariatric surgery if an umbilical or incisional hernia (from a previous surgery) is present.

Good luck. Even if I didn't have a hiatial hernia, I would still not use him. Hiatial hernia fixing with bariatrics is mainstream.. Refusal to fix is not.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yea, at first I thought I misunderstood too.. but he repeated himself and you can see everyone in the room looking around at each other.. then that really got people asking other questions like what about patients with Ulcers.. and he said he’d much rather go on a case by case basis on those (you would think it would be the same for a hernia) idk.. I went through everything the last time (different surgeon) but had to stop the process due to personal circumstances.. someone local recommended Dr Floch who does both procedures (if needed) ..

Thanks [emoji120] you as well.. I’ll keep posting updates about this hiccup in my path.

Staying hopeful [emoji5][emoji304]

[emoji991] Instagram: milaalmodovar
[emoji317] SC: almodovarmila

OK, I had another thought. Maybe he feels like you would have post op heartburn, and he just feels like it's not a good option? I could maybe see that, but he would have probably worded it differently. Like if you have heartburn from hernia, you're better off with RNY. I have seen people talk about how their surgeon is pretty adamant about choosing RNY over the sleeve for heartburn patients. It would be interesting to understand his reasoning. Maybe Is he ultra conservative?

OK, I had another thought. Maybe he feels like you would have post op heartburn, and he just feels like it's not a good option? I could maybe see that, but he would have probably worded it differently. Like if you have heartburn from hernia, you're better off with RNY. I have seen people talk about how their surgeon is pretty adamant about choosing RNY over the sleeve for heartburn patients. It would be interesting to understand his reasoning. Maybe Is he ultra conservative?

I’m thinking that’s probably why? I’ll know come Monday when they Bariatric office calls me with the results I already got that same day. Before the hernia I have never experienced acid reflux but I was diagnosed with GERD because of past complaints of acid reflux.. but it’s possible that it could be because of the possible issues after the sleeve surgery and hernia repair if done.. maybe he’ll have me repair first? And then continue on with the steps towards the sleeve?

He performs his own upper endoscopy procedures and does his own GERD testing in office. it should be interesting to know what’s going to happen come Monday.. I have an endoscopy scheduled on the 3rd of April.. I’m wondering if they’ll push it sooner than later to see if the sleeve is even an option for me. Based off that is probably what will help me decide if I’m even going to another Bariatric doc

Hi, I went in for the sleeve almost 4 yrs ago and during the surgery they found a hernia. They performed the sleeve and fixed the hernia. I got down to 160lbs. 2yrs post is my gall bladder failed and at the sane time my hernia came back in the same spot. They took out the GB and repaired the hernia again using a stronger technique to keep it from rupturing again. 2 weeks ago I had my annual check up with my dr and I have been noticing an increase in acid reflux, to the point I need meds. He had me do a barium chalk drink to view my stomach. Turns out my stomach has stretched a little at the top, which is normal, but the bottom is more narrow(could be causing the reflux somewhat)? However, the hernia was repaired twice is back again. His recommendation is to possibly do a bypass to get rid of reflux and we wouldn’t have to repair. Apparently I am prone to getting hernias.

You must be the Hernia Honey. Gosh I hope it all gets straightened out. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall to hear,your doctor say "Guess what YOU have again!" Funny to hear but I'm sure not humorous to live. As the Gastritis Gurl I'm not so much laughing at you as with you. Ain't life weird?

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I went in for the sleeve almost 4 yrs ago and during the surgery they found a hernia. They performed the sleeve and fixed the hernia. I got down to 160lbs. 2yrs post is my gall bladder failed and at the sane time my hernia came back in the same spot. They took out the GB and repaired the hernia again using a stronger technique to keep it from rupturing again. 2 weeks ago I had my annual check up with my dr and I have been noticing an increase in acid reflux, to the point I need meds. He had me do a barium chalk drink to view my stomach. Turns out my stomach has stretched a little at the top, which is normal, but the bottom is more narrow(could be causing the reflux somewhat)? However, the hernia was repaired twice is back again. His recommendation is to possibly do a bypass to get rid of reflux and we wouldn’t have to repair. Apparently I am prone to getting hernias.

Ugh! That’s a bummer. Was it the same surgeon that did the repair?( for the hernia) and your revision to bypass..

I have been told if acid reflux and/hernia were present before surgery for VSG it’s most likely the patient will have worsen cases of acid reflux (idk about the stomach though) Now that I know I have this hernia I think the doc might push for the RNY if I go with him.

How are you doing overall ? 4 yrs later are you staying on track with regular diet and exercise

So update: I never got a call from my surgeons office about the Barium swallow but had my psych Evaluation yesterday and got my clearance from him. Saying I’d be mentally ready for it.. now with that being said. I don’t have anything else major going on with me except for the hiatal hernia, history of thyroid problems, and fertility issues. The psychiatrist suggested I do it naturally.

Has anyone else been told this after their psych eval?

...just wondering

Sounds like: you are cleared for surgery. You are emotionally ready for surgery. But don't do the surgery, do it naturally instead. Interesting, very interesting. Do you sense a dichotomy there? I sure do![emoji26]

I thought the same. When I told him I’ve tried the ‘natural way’ not only have I been unsuccessful, I’ve put on more than what I had lost (frustrating) because it wasn’t disclosed to me that I had a thyroid condition and was suppose to start medication for it, per PCP. The only way it came it light was me calling PCP about blood work results(before) and the nurse told me someone had left a message [emoji849] (she never did) I left that office and found a new PCP now I’m just waiting for a yearly physical which is in a couple weeks. He pretty much said that he wants this to be successful and doesn’t want me to be emotionally distressed by the changes that are coming after the surgery.

Some of these people shouldn’t be working in the medical field

I had an even worse experience. My surgeon operated and found a large hiatal hernia and aborted the surgery. She made me get a barium upper to ensure it was a sliding hernia and then refused to do a sleeve. She referred me to another surgeon who said hernias were very common and that I should have the sleeve at the same time no problem. My operation is now scheduled for April 12 with the new surgeon at a new hospital and it was easily approved by insurance. Good luck.

Sounds like you need to evaluate another program. Make sure it is a center of excellence (search on bariatric surgery center of excellence on google). I personally wouldn’t be comfortable getting surgery done by someone who is uncomfortable dealing with a super common hernia.

I did change doctors who agreed that hiatal hernias are very common and he’s going to repair it when he operates on me next week April 12th. And he said the sleeve was not a problem.

Couldn't see how it could be. Darlin' I am so greatful to hear your story is going to have a good conclusion. If you've been around for a while you probably know my own road has been bumpy, twisted and almost almost derailed once. You have just given me hope my own will be also over and done. If it is happening for you it can for me as well.[emoji12][emoji106]

I have an upper endoscopy to see if in fact I have GERD. The same Bariatric surgeon is doing the endoscopy. That’s tomorrow morning...