Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post sleeve and just ate a whole pint of low cal ice cream

Great idea!! I need to go find some small serving plates and bowls. Thanks Roxine!

14 hours ago, Danbug74 said:

So I’m new here but I need some help. I’m 2 weeks post gastric sleeve. I’ve been doing my best to maintain my diet requirements as far as Water intake, Protein Shakes and blended Soups. Per my doctor’s diet diet plan, I’m able to eat a sugar-free/fat free ice cream. So I went in search of it but only found a pint of low cal, low sugar ice cream. Well, without even thinking about, I ate the whole pint. At the moment, I’m only feeling gas moving around but I didn’t think I’d be able to do that. Aside from feeling like a complete failure right now, I’m worried of what can happen because I did this. Has anyone else ever done this and have you ever experienced any complications? Thank for any and all your responses!

Not the best idea I know it was low sugar/fat as read in your post but how exactly does this factor in with this entire process? That’s the #1 thing we were told to avoid at my seminar from the very beginning. The first bad food in the topic of discussion. At two weeks out stick with healthy choices that will give you the correct calories/vitamins/minerals etc. For me personally ice cream is a thing of the past. It goes against the very reasons for doing this. I would advise better choices. Everyone on here went through the liquid/puréed stages. You can do this!

The liquid stage isn't easy. I can identify with@danbug74. But the better we stick to the plan, the better the chances for success are. I know I would like to be able to be on the pureé stage right now! But I'm trusting in the process and I'm going to follow it because I never want to be where I was again. Never.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi

I would suggest the next time you want ice cream you measure out the amount as prescribed by your nutritionist/doctor - put it in a small bowl (so it looks like a lot) and eat slowly.

For me, I’m only allowed up to 2 TBS of the new soft foods I’m introducing this week (unsweetened applesauce, loose oatmeal, instant mashed potatoes - made with Water only). I bought these small glass bowls and tons of measuring spoons, cups, etc. to learn proper portion sizes. When I move to tuna and scrambled eggs next week, my plan is to use small salad plates. Fools the mind into thinking there is more food

Just my $0.02
Roxine

Yes!!! I still use tiny 1/4-1/2 cup sized Bowls and salad plates daily and I’m four and a half years post op!

Not the best idea I know it was low sugar/fat as read in your post but how exactly does this factor in with this entire process? That’s the #1 thing we were told to avoid at my seminar from the very beginning. The first bad food in the topic of discussion. At two weeks out stick with healthy choices that will give you the correct calories/vitamins/minerals etc. For me personally ice cream is a thing of the past. It goes against the very reasons for doing this. I would advise better choices. Everyone on here went through the liquid/puréed stages. You can do this!

Yeah, it’s on his doctors plan! Color me shocked!

I’d recommend avoiding ice creams until goal! I eat them occasionally now... the halo top mostly... but occasionally the real stuff, but not for the first year!

Once you are cleared to have foods that are blended or whipped (usually pretty soon after surgery) I recommend trying this

I eat this almost every single day. Taste like ice cream/whipped cream and its ingredients are almost completely Protein Powder + fat free milk. With something like this in my diet (which seriously is delicious) I have no interest in eating any junk food/garbage. And its definitely healthy enough to be an everyday food while satisfying that sweet tooth urge.

Glad you know you made a mistake and hopefully you are able to push forward without beating yourself up too much.

I would advise you to stay away completely from ice cream for now...doesn't matter how low in calories or sugar they are. You are only 2 weeks post op and it is just too early for stuff like that. Buy a low calorie sugar-free popsicles instead. Sugar-free Jello is a good snack option as well. In order to be successful in this journey, one gotta be super disciplined and exercise self control at all times because it is very easy to slide back to old habits.

23 hours ago, Danbug74 said:

I think last night I as was a little freaked out of what I had done and was kind of desperate for some encouragement.

Best thing is to take this trigger food off your repertoire.

It's wise to NOT chase sugary or sweet foods ... even those artificially sweetened ones.

Stimulating a desire for sugar/sweet is a huge risk.

I can so relate! I am on my strict low-carb pre-op diet and I freaked out yesterday and had a big bowl of Mac and cheese.

It is ok. Overall I am doing everything right and losing weight. Today is a new day and I started it with a healthy Breakfast.

Keep going! We can do it!

On 3/15/2018 at 10:14 PM, Danbug74 said:

So I’m new here but I need some help. I’m 2 weeks post gastric sleeve. I’ve been doing my best to maintain my diet requirements as far as Water intake, Protein Shakes and blended Soups. Per my doctor’s diet diet plan, I’m able to eat a sugar-free/fat free ice cream. So I went in search of it but only found a pint of low cal, low sugar ice cream. Well, without even thinking about, I ate the whole pint. At the moment, I’m only feeling gas moving around but I didn’t think I’d be able to do that. Aside from feeling like a complete failure right now, I’m worried of what can happen because I did this. Has anyone else ever done this and have you ever experienced any complications? Thank for any and all your responses!

http://yonanas.com/

Try this! Just Frozen fruit & nothing else added. We have one & it works great. Any fruit or fruit mix you want.

3A013D89-4979-4986-BFDC-16E20184C998.png

Edited by Seahawks Fan

39 minutes ago, Seahawks Fan said:

Try this! Just Frozen fruit & nothing else added. We have one & it works great. Any fruit or fruit mix you want.

The best thing about fresh fruit is eating the fibre. (FIBER in the USA)

To make frozen fruit alters the eating properties significantly. It's a 'once in a while' choice.

But at least it's not on the very bad choice scale like juicing fruit and throwing away the pulp.

I'm almost 2 years out, so not sure if you can have this yet. But, I slice very ripe bananas thin and freeze one per zip top bag, then put them in the food processor and it is delicious, not to mention you can customize in many ways. Other fruit, Peanut Butter, small amount of nuts, small pieces of very dark chocolate. So much healthier than the store bought stuff. Right now it is so very important to work on your food choices. I highly recommend working with a bariatric nutritionist because there is so much to learn. I am at a place where I am 100% happy with what I eat and I don't count or measure anything. I had to be at a point that was sustainable for me. I do watch portions and I know I will always have to be mindful of my choices, but I have found substitutes and new foods that are absolutely as satisfying as what I ate before. Follow the rules and your tastes will change. I still see my nut almost monthly and have no plans to stop. The very best to you.

3 hours ago, IveGotThePower said:

I'm almost 2 years out, so not sure if you can have this yet. But, I slice very ripe bananas thin and freeze one per zip top bag, then put them in the food processor and it is delicious, not to mention you can customize in many ways. Other fruit, Peanut Butter, small amount of nuts, small pieces of very dark chocolate. So much healthier than the store bought stuff. Right now it is so very important to work on your food choices. I highly recommend working with a bariatric nutritionist because there is so much to learn. I am at a place where I am 100% happy with what I eat and I don't count or measure anything. I had to be at a point that was sustainable for me. I do watch portions and I know I will always have to be mindful of my choices, but I have found substitutes and new foods that are absolutely as satisfying as what I ate before. Follow the rules and your tastes will change. I still see my nut almost monthly and have no plans to stop. The very best to you.

Yum! Borrowing this idea!!

9 hours ago, Sleeved36 said:

I can so relate! I am on my strict low-carb pre-op diet and I freaked out yesterday and had a big bowl of Mac and cheese.

It is ok. Overall I am doing everything right and losing weight. Today is a new day and I started it with a healthy Breakfast.

Keep going! We can do it!

Today was better. I’m sticking to the plan sans the ice cream. Thanks for the encouragement!

Thank you all so much for your input and encouragement! I am thankful that I’m not alone on this journey. I hope all of us great success in our goals! Have a great weekend!