Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering which surgery to choose

So, I'm considering weight loss surgery. I meet the BMI requirement and other chronic conditions such as GERD and sleep apnea. I have my 1st mental health eval., plus first MD visit, folliwed by a Nutrition 101 class soon. I have been told what our insurance will pay. I'm wanting feedback on those who have had surgery. I know everyone is different. But I'm trying to weigh my choices. I'm wavering between gastric bypass and gastric sleeve. My GERD is very mild. I do not take meds for it, I mainly just watch the types of food I eat, and remain upright after eating. However I don't want to have a gastric sleeve if GERD will worsen, and then have to do more surgery. I am kind of afraid of more complications with gastric bypass. It looks like lap band is not good and usually ends up getting removed. I only have 100 lbs. to lose. Can I get feedback from you experienced WLS warriors? Experiences, side effects, advice etc.

My GERD went away after being sleeved, but I think it's different for everyone. Mine was was mild as well, I hasnt had issues with it since being sleeved. I had my surgery 12/27/16

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks Mini Me. Can you tell me about your recovery time, or any complications?

I had bypass and zero reflux since. Recovery was easy and minimal other than gas pain for a couple of days. I feel like bypass gives you more benefit but everyone is different

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 191.4
5’6”

Whether your GERD will worsen if you have the sleeve is a crap shoot. It may resolve completely or it may worsen, there's no way to tell. I seriously caution those with GERD getting the sleeve. I think they should know they may have to revise at a later time. Doctors say if you lose the weight and the pressure is reduced in the abdomen reflux will resolve. Again...it may and may not. My friend never even had reflux in her entire life when she had the sleeve and two years ago she had to revise to bypass... And im waiting on my revision date right now (unfortunately).

Thanks Mini Me. Can you tell me about your recovery time, or any complications?

My mom and I both had the surgery, she felt great 3 weeks out, I didn't start feeling normal again until 3-4 months out. I didnt feel pain from the surgery, just discomfort which was mostly gas lol. That went away after a week. My complications came from me not drinking enough, its something you really have to do, even if you dont want to. I had to go back to the hospital twice for IVs, because I was very dehydrated. The room kept spinning and it was hard to get liquids down. It really is a different expience for everyone. Staying hydrated is very very important lol! Around month 4 I finally started meeting my liquid intake goals and feeling energetic, and since then, I havnt had any complications. I started around 226lbs at the time of surgery, and Im currently 108lbs. Im 5'2" and 30yrs old. Im very happy with my sleeve, Id go through those hard few months all over again if I had to, it was worth it. My quality of life has changed dramatically for the better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

So, had a physical therapy preop eval today with goals set. Next week is a mandatory surgeon informational group meeting, followed by a nutrition 101 class, and an individial nutrition appointment. At this time, I still dont know which surgery to choose. I hope to have my questions answered at the surgeon group meeting. I feel like the PT tried to talk me into bypass vs sleeve. When I had a medical eval a few weeks ago with a nurse practitioner, I feel like she was pushing me towards bypass vs sleeve as well. I guess they see the outcomes more than I do. What do you guys think?

I am having a RnY for multiple reasons, some of which- quicker weight loss, GERD, asthma which can be caused/aggravated by GERD, sleep apnea which also could be aggravated by GERD, my age(72) the fact that it is a proven gold standard treatment, and call me sentimental but I loathe the idea of them removing. 75% of my stomach and either giving it to some pathologist or throwing it in the trash. Granted it worked too well at extracting every calorie from foods but I was kind of fond of the old muscular bag, I don't want him yanked out a keyhole incision in my abdomen and cavelierly pitched away. I came into this world with him, I'd like to leave with him still there. So far all I've donated to pathology is 1 appendix, 2 tonsils, 1 thumb joint and some biopsy slides, not ready to up the count right now!

But it is YOUR BODY, you and your surgeon will make the decision for YOU not me. You are the one who will live with your body and your decisions. Decide and decide well, for there are seldom do-overs in Bariatric Surgeries. And no matter what your decision we will help you, love you, encourage you and cheer every triumph you make in your life.[emoji13] Your friend and co traveler on this weight loss road **

frust8

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm in the same boat. I was leaning towards sleeve but now am starting to consider bypass instead. My GERD is not mild and I take meds for it. I still have break-through GERD even with the meds, coughing, hoarse voice, and just a generally raging inferno from hades in my throat at any given time. I also have sleep apnea and high blood sugar. To me, the bypass seems like it might be best. I have my first consult in May, so we'll see what the doc says...

38 minutes ago, Erica_is_pretty said:

I'm in the same boat. I was leaning towards sleeve but now am starting to consider bypass instead. My GERD is not mild and I take meds for it. I still have break-through GERD even with the meds, coughing, hoarse voice, and just a generally raging inferno from hades in my throat at any given time. I also have sleep apnea and high blood sugar. To me, the bypass seems like it might be best. I have my first consult in May, so we'll see what the doc says...

Just a peice of advise from someone who had GERD and was on meds before the sleeve... DON'T DO IT! I mean it may resolve after surgery and it may not...there's no way to know for sure ..it's pretty much a crap shoot. Just know if you have the sleeve, there's a chance you will need to revise to bypass. And you could live in misery every day until the revision.

45 minutes ago, animallover1247 said:

Just a peice of advise from someone who had GERD and was on meds before the sleeve... DON'T DO IT! I mean it may resolve after surgery and it may not...there's no way to know for sure ..it's pretty much a crap shoot. Just know if you have the sleeve, there's a chance you will need to revise to bypass. And you could live in misery every day until the revision.

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather not go under the knife again which is why I'm 99% sure I'm going to pursue bypass.

2 hours ago, Erica_is_pretty said:

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather not go under the knife again which is why I'm 99% sure I'm going to pursue bypass.

It would be interesting to see what your surgeon recommends. I say this because I know some surgeons will recommend bypsss or won't do the sleeve because of GERD. However, my surgeon doesn't think you shouldn't do a sleeve on someone just because they have GERD. Those were the words I wanted to hear since I didn't want bypass. Boy do I regret it now 😧

I had mild GERD before I was sleeved in 2011, I experienced it again after I had my sleeve (for about 3 years) and it just got worse. No matter what I eat or drink, I have horrible GERD & burping. The PPI’s aren’t working for me and I have tried different doses.

Long story short, I am now getting revised to RNY in 6 weeks. I was not informed 7 years ago about GERD being a problem with the sleeve but I am not even sure if it was well known back then either

Good luck to whatever you choose!