Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who didn’t/doesn’t have to do 2 weeks liquid?

And if you didn’t have to, where are you?

Curious at how surgeons require different things. My husband and sister were sleeved here in Atlanta and had to do 2 weeks of liquid pre-op. However my aunt in Las Vegas did not.

I had a one day fast, nothing but Water. No pre op liquids and i didn't do liquids or puree after surgery either. I ate as soon as I could after surgery and had no problems.

I had a one day fast, nothing but Water. No pre op liquids and i didn't do liquids or puree after surgery either. I ate as soon as I could after surgery and had no problems.

Where was your surgery done?

I had surgery in Mexico. They did a bang-up job. Very pleased with results.

In ma and we had a 2 week low calorie diet (just low calorie low carb) not liquids. It was Clear Liquids only the day before surgery

The reason surgeons require a (sometimes) stringent pre-operation diet is actually to make surgery safer and faster. An enlarged liver and spleen can obstruct the view of the laprascopic camera making the surgery more difficult. As my surgeon says, this is especially the case in larger patients coming to the operating table. I just happen to be one of those too.

I also reason that this pre-operation diet could work really well in my favor if for some reason the surgeon must abort the surgery. If that unlikely scenario does occur, I will already be adapted to the Optifast diet that the surgeon prescribed so I might as well continue with it while the issue gets resolved. I am 6'4" and 356 pounds so I can get to a low of about 290 before losing the qualification for weight loss surgery. If it will be the case that I am not going to be safe for surgery, I will ride OptiFast to its natural conclusion and continue to work with a therapist. There can be bright spots in dark times.

Edited by Mattymatt

I only had the one day clear out the system “diet.”

I am in California. My doctor only does a pre op with the super morbidly obese, 50 BMI and above I think? I was 40.

I lost 100 pounds during my six month insurance-required pre-op diet program, so my surgeon didn't require a pre-op liquid diet from me. I started at a 53 BMI and was right at a 40 BMI on surgery day. I met my goal weight of 180 pounds at 1 year and 4 days post-op, and have been maintaining at 7-10 pounds below goal (23.5 BMI) for the past 5 months.

I’m in Boston, MA. I didn’t have a pre-op diet. My surgeon says that the diets are used to shrink the liver, but in our program we were required to lose a certain amount of weight in the 4-6 months prior to surgery (which also shrinks the liver). They said they prefer to not have a pre-op diet because it’s too much pressure on patients to have to lose a specific amount of weight in the two weeks before surgery, and surgery is stressful enough. I definitely appreciate it.

I lost 100 pounds during my six month insurance-required pre-op diet program, so my surgeon didn't require a pre-op liquid diet from me. I started at a 53 BMI and was right at a 40 BMI on surgery day. I met my goal weight of 180 pounds at 1 year and 4 days post-op, and have been maintaining at 7-10 pounds below goal (23.5 BMI) for the past 5 months.

Congrats!!

Boston here too!

Only had to do 3-5 days of liquid diet before surgery

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 191.4
5’6”

I'm going to have to per my surgeon. Three Protein Drinks per day with other clear liquids like broth and such.