Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting BMI was 32. Sleeved 11/28, down 52lbs. Don't regret it for one second!

Hello I have a BMI of 33 - I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I'm considering Gastric Sleeve it would be self pay. I've tried weight loss medications as well as weight watchers and Jenny Craig with no success for the past 4 years. For those of you at this BMI or lower are you happy with you decision - and would you do it again knowing what you know and what you have gone through? I know it is a permanent, life altering procedure so I'm currently doing all of the research now. Thanks!

I just got sleeved with a BMI of 34. I have also been struggling more than ever over the last couple of years. I am not far enough out to know whether it was a good decision but I keep telling myself that I was heading fast to a much higher BMI and co-morbidities. This is giving me a tool to get back in the game. My doctor said that in 6 months I will be thrilled.

I had surgery last August 24th and my BMI was 33 and I was discouraged from having the surgery by family and friends who said "you don't need it". By January 6th I had lost 60 lbs and now I have lost 69 and my BMI is 22 and I couldn't be happier. Some of my family and friends now tell my "you're too thin" but mostly people tell me I look great. It is the best decision I've made and I'm off my diabetes medicine and most everything else I was taking before I had the surgery. I too was self pay and it was a lot of money to spend, but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good luck with your decision and I hope you do what YOU feel is best.

I am 37 and I have a higher BMI than you (37), but still considered a low BMI patient. I am scheduled for 4/16 and everyone if my family pretty much thinks I am crazy. But I have severe osteoarthritis and have already had a knee replacement, have a family history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol and a history of pseudo tumor cerebri.

I am not looking to be super skinny, and the way my body is built (I carry my weight in my legs and thighs), I don’t think I ever will be. So my goal is to just lose weight and be healthy, to have more energy and less knee pain. I wish my family would understand this, but I’ve given up at this point. I am doing this for me though, so they will have to get over it, lol.

Anyhow, I will be 229 pounds by my surgery, and my goal is around 160. I am 5’6 and 37 years old.

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG scheduled for 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

On 3/5/2018 at 6:24 AM, GassyGurl said:

My highest bmi was 35.2, and I had surgery around 32 bmi. No regrets! I had a 44 inch waist, high BP and cholesterol and pre diabetes. Now, 6.5 months later, I am about 5 lbs from goal, and suffer from the above conditions no more! Oh, and my waist is down 10 inches, and I feel great. I was self pay with Dr Taggar in Florida.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

That is great! I have all the same conditions as well! I'm moving closer to my journey. Thanks for responding!

On 3/11/2018 at 9:06 AM, TexasMommy80 said:

I am 37 and I have a higher BMI than you (37), but still considered a low BMI patient. I am scheduled for 4/16 and everyone if my family pretty much thinks I am crazy. But I have severe osteoarthritis and have already had a knee replacement, have a family history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol and a history of pseudo tumor cerebri.

I am not looking to be super skinny, and the way my body is built (I carry my weight in my legs and thighs), I don’t think I ever will be. So my goal is to just lose weight and be healthy, to have more energy and less knee pain. I wish my family would understand this, but I’ve given up at this point. I am doing this for me though, so they will have to get over it, lol.

Anyhow, I will be 229 pounds by my surgery, and my goal is around 160. I am 5’6 and 37 years old.

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG scheduled for 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

That is super exciting! I'll be looking for some great updates :) from you!

On 3/11/2018 at 8:10 AM, Excited to lose! said:

I had surgery last August 24th and my BMI was 33 and I was discouraged from having the surgery by family and friends who said "you don't need it". By January 6th I had lost 60 lbs and now I have lost 69 and my BMI is 22 and I couldn't be happier. Some of my family and friends now tell my "you're too thin" but mostly people tell me I look great. It is the best decision I've made and I'm off my diabetes medicine and most everything else I was taking before I had the surgery. I too was self pay and it was a lot of money to spend, but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good luck with your decision and I hope you do what YOU feel is best.

Wow amazing, I bet you feel fantastic! Yay! thanks for responding. I'm so happy for you!

On 3/9/2018 at 6:18 PM, redhead_che said:

Starting BMI was 32. Sleeved 11/28, down 52lbs. Don't regret it for one second!

Wow 52 pounds already! that is great. I really appreciate you responding wishing you continued success!

For those of you who had the surgery, were any of you able to lose weight without having a ton of skin issues?

I am looking to even out at around 160-170 for that very reason. I am a teacher, and yall know we are broke, LOL. Skin removal will never be an option for me. Honestly, though, I want to hold on to a bit of my curves, so I don't mind stopping on the higher end of the scale.

Interestingly enough, I talked to my NUT about my personal goal yesterday. She told me that once you get to a point where you are comfortable, you should then lose another 10-15 pounds because when you go into maintenance, your body seems to react to the change and almost everyone gains 10-15 pounds before leveling out. So her goal for me was to try and get to 155, go to maintenance, and then level off at around 165-170.

She also showed me a chart of national averages of weight loss for people with my starting weight. I am 5'6 and will start at 229. Fifty percent of people at my starting weight will level out at 180 (so reach 165 and then gain a bit back), and 20% will level out at 163. They have been very clear that those with lower BMIs don't lose as fast, so we cant compare ourselves to others...apparently, there have been women at my clinic who actually blame the doctors because they are not losing as fast as others in our Facebook page.

Ha! We should have a Houston meet-up! Houston PowerPuff Girls, UNITE! LOL.

I am 47 my BMI is 47.6 I am 5ft 2in next week is my surgery on Thursday. I have lost 7 lbs on my liquid diet so for in just 3 days.
My husband is finally supportive but was really scared for me to have surgery. He knows I have been trying the last 5yrs every darn diet in the world. We have a handicap daughter who is 28 and I am her primary caregiver since I stay at home. He works long hours and travels out of town weekly. Luckily my other kids live in our rent house next door, so they can check on us while he is gone. My goal is 150 but doctor says I can probably get to 130. I live in Alvin,TX
Good luck to everyone on their journey

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Ha! We should have a Houston meet-up! Houston PowerPuff Girls, UNITE! LOL.

That would be awesome!!!

6 minutes ago, it'sonlythefirststep said:

I am 47 my BMI is 47.6 I am 5ft 2in next week is my surgery on Thursday. I have lost 7 lbs on my liquid diet so for in just 3 days.
My husband is finally supportive but was really scared for me to have surgery. He knows I have been trying the last 5yrs every darn diet in the world. We have a handicap daughter who is 28 and I am her primary caregiver since I stay at home. He works long hours and travels out of town weekly. Luckily my other kids live in our rent house next door, so they can check on us while he is gone. My goal is 150 but doctor says I can probably get to 130. I live in Alvin,TX
Good luck to everyone on their journey

Good luck that is so exciting!!! I know there are risks to all surgeries and the anesthesia but this is generally a pretty safe surgery. Can I ask what doctor is going to do the surgery?

Good luck that is so exciting!!! I know there are risks to all surgeries and the anesthesia but this is generally a pretty safe surgery. Can I ask what doctor is going to do the surgery?

Dr Terry Scarborough at TLC

Hello I have a BMI of 33 - I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I'm considering Gastric Sleeve it would be self pay. I've tried weight loss medications as well as weight watchers and Jenny Craig with no success for the past 4 years. For those of you at this BMI or lower are you happy with you decision - and would you do it again knowing what you know and what you have gone through? I know it is a permanent, life altering procedure so I'm currently doing all of the research now. Thanks!

Mine was 33 or 32 and yes I would do it again. I don’t want to be dealing with all these health issues as I age, I already hurt body wise, I can only imagine how much more painful it would be at 60 and 70.

Lapband 9/11/07 227 pounds
Vsg 2/13/18
Pre op diet 188
Sd. 180
Cw 165.2 Dr. scale says says one pound less
First goal 169 2/26/18
Second goal and doctors GW 150
Goal weight 138