Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it all take

I am new here and just now starting the process. I talked to my insurance today and they assigned me one of their nurses that will be with me through out everything and give me the names of the hospitals and surgeons my insurance will cover and told me to make the appointment. Does anyone know how long it takes to actually have the surgery after then?

I know i am excited and anxious but can't help it!! I want to be healthy!!

Wow!! That seem's like forever!! MY BMI is 40 right now. What if it drops down below that before then? Will they deny my surgery? I was really hoping not to have to go through another summer this big....

I know this sounds silly and i need to take a breath...

Typical is 6 months. I didn’t lose much weight before surgery and wasn’t told too. Just exercised more. I had to see a cardiologist twice, psychologist once, nutritionist each of those 6 months, and my surgeon or his nurse practitioner every other month. Time will go by!

Wow your results are amazing!!!!

Congrats to you!!

What you actually will need to do will depend very much on your insurance and your surgeon. Some require lots of steps, some require very few. While it's generally true it'll take around 6 months...I've seen it move much faster and much slower depending on the individual requirements.

Some programs require all sorts of things that other programs....don't.

You will likely need to do a supervised diet for a while and prove you can lose weight. You will likely need to get a psychological clearance. You will likely need an Upper GI study...either barium swallow or endoscope. You will likely need chest Xrays, an EKG, and blood work.

Some doctors want other clearances depending on the health of the patient. Some will want a cardiologist to sign off, or a pulmonologist, some will want a sleep study....some will want you to go to a group support meeting, meet with a trainer, etc...etc...

There is no One Size Fits All.

When you pick a surgeon, they'll give you the list of their specific requirements for you.

So overwhelming!! I suppose i will see when i get there. I just have to be patient:)

Congrats on your results!!

Can seem overwhelming for a while:) But bit by bit...it all gets done and you're having surgery in what feels like record time.

This is a big deal. You're changing your anatomy forever. You need time to do your research.

I started in June of last year and I had my surgery February 8th

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

I think it really depends on your insurance and their requirements. I just went to an information seminar today and found out I only need a note from my dr, a psych consult, nutrition consult, and 3 classes that can all be done in the same day. After I finish that they can send my package to the insurance company. I want to have surgery in June and they said that with my requirements it's totally doable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Mine took about 6 months as well. I had to wait for the endoscopy as the Dr was very booked up. I had to go to a psychologist, nutrition classes once a month for 4 months and the endoscopy and cardiac clearance. It went by pretty quickly! Good luck!

I just saw my surgeon yesterday I am looking at around September date for bypass. I have to attend nutrition classes for the next 6 months I need to submit my sleep study and a month of compliance on my new machine and a letter of support from my Pcp also need a psych eval but that's it for me

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

Most people on here are 5-6 months, insurances vary in their requirements as do Bariatric practices and hospitals. Some of our Canadian brothers and sisters it may take up to 2 years. Our UK ones through NHS seems to take a while, that's why many either private pay or go out of the country. The New Zealand, Austrailia, South Africa and the rest you'd have to ask someone from there. I haven't heard anything from our Caribbean friend LillyBilly for awhile, she lives on a beautiful warm island and is going to Columbia South America for her bariatric surgery.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app