Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being at restaurants and getting asked "did you not like your food?" and wasted money/food

2 hours ago, sleeved2win said:

@mstipps I spent my afternoon checking out some of these-- it's cool bc I wasn't really aware of most of these lesser know U.K. Bands. Anti Clone was pretty cool.

Skindred and Sodom are the only ones I really knew. I'm into Soil, Coal Chamber, Rammstein, I miss Mudvayne but love Hellyeah, Slipknot, Machine Head, Lamb of God, System of a Down, etc. so I guess more mainstream stuff-- but I love a good metal festival with unknowns. Just fun to go and feel the energy and meet new people. Have an awesome time!!!! emoji3.png

OMG yes I love lamb of God, megadeth old school Metallica, prophets of rage (ratm), system of a down, slipknot, rammstein, slayer, rob zombie, five finger death punch etc too - they only come to the big summer festivals though as they have such a big fan base.

you're so right. It's the people and the atmosphere that makes it special. I love going into the mosh pits. You can be ragging someone one minute and the min they hit the deck your lovingly hauling them back up so they don't get trampled lol x

Edited by MsTipps

As you eat push your food to the outside of the plate, leaving a good sized empty spot in the middle of the plate (not exact center). They will see the large empty spot and think you ate a lot more than you did.

So I've been traveling for the last week - on the same week as I was cleared to eat more normal food. My hotel rooms haven't had fridges (to store Protein drinks) or microwaves, and there's been a lot of going out to restaurants with people from work or friends I know in the city. And every time I go to a restaurant, I can maybe eat 1/4th of the plate at most, even less often. Example I went for brunch where they always have huge plates - got an egg scramble - didn't touch potatoes or bread and had 1/4th of the egg scramble so it basically still looked like a full plate.

And every time I've been asked "did you not like it?" and I've just said "oh it was great but just full".

Also it's crazy how much food I'm actually wasting and it's not like I can take it back home or anything - plus doggy bags are annoying to carry around while still out and about even if I was at a home. I would share Entrees but everyone's wanted their own so far.

For those that are like over 3 months out - how much of a restaurant entree can you finish? How do you find eating out? Do you just share food or something - and if not with a husband / wife - do you split the bill evenly still?

I did find a great solution though around getting asked did you not like it, and that's Korean BBQ - you can hide how little you eat when with a bunch of people [emoji4]

No problems. Been eating out since perhaps 3 months. No one asks me questions. I was away for four days so only ate at the hotel . I have a starter of say duck leg it's in gravy unions and spinnach. . My kids may want to try some or my mum I'll give some out before I start. Or sometimes I don't. And they will ask if I want a main and I just say no. I do have main sometimes. Usually a ceaser salad. Or I tried an avacado and feta salad the other day. It was abit awkward at first. But I don't mind now. I wouldn't want to share a meal as in order one meal between two. But I know some people prefer it.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I get a free meal at work as it has a cafe

The order of halloumi cous cous salad pita bread.

I tell them to hold the cous cous and the pita and the salad. I'll have some hallomi tomatoe cucumber and olives. They often are super embarrassed giving me the plate as it looks empty. They do ask me if I have alergies. I simply say "no" lol

I havent eaten out yet but I'm going away for the weekend to a heavy metal festival so I know I'll find it tricky. I forsee a lotta Soup minus bread!
[mention=330039]Creekimp13[/mention] I love the idea of having a medical card to order from children's/senior menu. I will definitely be asking if they do them here in the UK at my next consultation.
I was thinking either order a starter only or asking for a half portion may be an option but the children's menu maybe a better solution.
[mention=334711]michaeli[/mention] while we all adjust to our new lifestyles, we've gotta stop feeling guilty.
Like [mention=325565]Rainbow_Warrior[/mention] said, I too grew up in a household where plates were to be cleared and if they weren't it was an insult not only to your family but to God for what he had provided for us and to the starving people of the world. It's only now that I'm training myself to stop feeling bad when I can't clear my plate.
If my kids leave stuff cos they're full, I don't have to eat it for them. We are not garbage disposals and don't need to feel guilty or give restaurant staff an explanation if it makes us uncomfortable.
Be kind to yourself.
The children's menue are so crap in most UK restaurants I've been too just friend and dried crap my kids end up ordering bits of the adult menue lol. And I'd be interested to hear if they do these cards in UK.
I've never heard someone be refused to order kids menue. But maybe depends were you are. I love my starters though :)

I find the phrase "it was good I'm just getting over something" works well. I usually try to order things that are in small quantity or share with my wife. In cases where there are things like potatoes etc I ask for them to be left out. That way I don't waste them and am not tempted to try them. Some places give a discount when I do that.

If I need to meet someone for a meal I always push for Breakfast as it's easy to order ala cart.

I tried to order a half portion of Soup at a cafe and got refused. Tried the kids menu - it was unsuitable. The place didn't do starters so I left empty handed. Hope they do medical cards in the UK x

I travel extensively for work and pleasure, so I deal with this a lot. I just order what I want (within the parameters of how I eat, of course), and eat what I can. I take a to-go box when it is practical, and if it isn't, I just leave it. I don't worry about the money. I would have spent it anyway.

At a WW meeting at one point someone said something about "wasting food". It was along the lines that if you eat extra food that you don't need it is also wasted, but way worse than just throwing it away because you carry it around with you afterwards as fat. I really hate to 'waste food', but when at a restaurant if I can't get a smaller portion I just remember that throwing it away is less of a waste than eating it and I'll be WAY happier not having tried to eat it and being in pain.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:54 PM, GotProlactinoma said:

The easy way. Honesty. I don’t care about the feelings of the waiter or chef. I just say I had stomach surgery and I can only eat a tiny amount.

I haven't had my surgery yet but I know that's exactly how I'll handle it. I'm not shy when it comes to dealing with strangers. I also have a way of saying things that conveys the message that it's the last word I'm going to say on a topic and, fortunately, most people pick up on that.

I can't recall a situation where someone was bent out of shape over how much I did or didn't eat (waiter or people with me). I probably wouldn't care even if they did. I order as always, eat what I want and take the rest to go IF I think I may want it later.

I'm with @GotProlactinomaon this one, I don't worry if waiters/waitresses ask whether or not I liked the food, doesn't bother me at all. Of the few times that I've actually gone out to eat since surgery 15 months ago, I order what I wish and take leftovers home.

I imagine if I worked and went on the road and had to eat out a lot that things would get a lot trickier as far as eating out goes. I would probably just go for smaller, simple entees with a side, like a piece of fish, chicken breast, that sort of thing.... or maybe a thing of Soup. Bound to be some amount of wasted food, however.... unless you're going out at dinner and have access to a mini fridge in your hotel, take it with you to heat up for lunch the next day in a microwave.