Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggles with Staying on Track with Eating before Surgery Scheduled

So I've started the process (and since I'm self pay I don't have to worry about insurance approval) in December 2017 - had my initial surgical consult, pysch visit, and scheduled the Upper GI, EKG and labs for early March. Due to my work and my desire to get my head in a good place prior to the surgery so this radical move is successful for the long-term, I've decided to wait until May to have the surgery.

The surgeon has asked that I lose 15 pounds before surgery, and I lost 8 four weeks after the consult. However, this last month, I've really been struggling with my eating and working out consistently. In the past, I usually dive in and can keep it together for numerous months. However, this time I've fizzled fast. I'm not typically a binge eater (it happens ever so often when I'm really stressed), but it seems this has happened a lot more in the past four weeks. I'm logging it all, but I can't seem to move out of the pattern. As for working out, typically, this is the easiest thing for me to get into and I feel awesome when I'm doing it consistently, but for the past two months, I'm lucky to work out once or twice a week.

I self-selected to check in with the Nurse Practitioner in the Surgeon's office on a monthly basis until the surgery to review my eating and activity. First visit went well (especially with the 8 pound weight loss), but I'm dreading next week's visit because I've either not lost or possibly gained back a pound or two. I already pushed the visit back a week with the thought I could get my act together but kept making poor choices...

I'm wondering if the planned surgery is impacting me subconsciously, or I'm just in a weird place right now. The NP has a list of counselors/psychologists for me to check out as I told her this is a vital part of the process for me to figure out why I sabotage myself when I really start making progress on weight loss.

Anyone else find that they fell into worse patterns once they made the decision to pursue surgery or as the surgery date came closer? I'm thinking it's just another form of sabotage when I see possible success for weight loss in the near future, but I'm wondering if this is common.

I think it is, right now I've hit a snafu,in my own weight,loss journey, strongly tempted to just eat what I want. But I don't want to endanger the weight loss I have made, maybe to someone else it doesn't look like much but it and the surgery do matter to me. Eat as healthy and low simple carbs as you can, I know a McDonald's Big Mac is so easy to grab, but bad for you on so many fronts. I don't eat lunch like I should, just a small Breakfast like rolled oats with skim milk in the morning, try to make my evening one contain Protein and vegetables, maybe a small green salad on the side. Sounds good doesn't it? Well my body has decided its in starvation mode and has decided to slow my metabolism down when I need it to shift into overdrive. See, I don't have all the answers straight either. But keep trying, if its only a pound or 2 they won't beat you up, go over your log with them. Honestly they do want you to succeed. They have seen a lot in the business and may know the best or at least better way. You have a cheerleader, me, in this journey, okay?

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I was just the opposite. I had to do a six month pre-op diet program for insurance to pay for the surgery, and once I started, I started. I lost 99 pounds during that six months and it set me on a path of great success with this entire journey.

Only you can make the decision to do as you need to do. And trust me, it is NO CAKEWALK post-op. In fact, not only are you dealing with having to follow certain food guidelines (as is it is a matter or life or death), you are also dealing with your body desperately trying to heal. The whole process is easier if you have dealt with what you can deal with before they cut into your body.

Food for thought. Do with it what you will. Those six months were the best thing that happened to me.

Wishing you the best.

21 minutes ago, kakatlady612 said:

Eat as healthy and low simple carbs as you can, I know a McDonald's Big Mac is so easy to grab, but bad for you on so many fronts

The best thing to do at McDonalds is to order wisely.

1. Order the Sausage and Egg McMuffin for breakfast with no cheese, no Condiments. Then eat only the meat and the egg and give your dog the bread.

OR

2. Order the $2 McDouble after 10:30am with no cheese, no condiments. Then eat the two beef patties and give your dog the bread.

Using both these clues, you can satisfy the Protein needs of your diet FAIRLY HEALTHILY and not eat the sugar infused bun/bread.

Thanks. I know post-op will be no picnic, and that's why I've not considered this as an option until now hoping I could work out stuff on my own. It's also why I'm giving myself 5 months and dedicating additional dollars to figure some stuff out.

I think the key is finding that counselor/psychologist now so I can figure out what's up with my head. I've changed a lot about my typical eating and fitness over the past 20 years since I gained this weight (I'm not really a fast food eater and don't drink soda). The past 3 years, I've been an on-again, off-again CrossFit person and stick to Paleo & Whole 30 diet, but then I'll fall off the wagon. In 6 - 8 months, I'll gain back what I've lost and lose my fitness gains (happens faster now that I'm closer to 50). I've gained and lost the same freaking 30 - 40 pounds numerous times over the years and never lose the last 50-60.

I think loosing momentum 4 weeks in is what made this time different, and why I was asking if others found it even harder to stay on track as the surgery date loomed closer.

Edited by Blondietex

1 minute ago, Blondietex said:

Thanks. I know post-op will be no picnic, and that's why I've not considered this as an option until now hoping I could work out stuff on my own. It's also why I'm giving myself 5 months and dedicating additional dollars to figure some stuff out.

I think the key is finding that counselor/psychologist now so I can figure out what's up with my head. I've changed a lot about my typical eating and fitness over the past 20 years since I gained this weight, The past 3 years, I've been an on-again, off-again CrossFit person and stick to Paleo & Whole 30 diet, but then I'll fall off the wagon. In 6 - 8 months, I'll gain back what I've lost and lose my fitness gains (happens faster now that I'm closer to 50). I've gained and lost the same freaking 30 - 40 pounds numerous times over the years and never lose the last 50-60.

I think loosing momentum 4 weeks in is what made this time different, and why I was asking if others found it even harder to stay on track as the surgery date loomed closer.

I've been on these boards (taking a break from it occasionally) for 2 years now. And I have seen more posts than I could ever count about gaining weight prior to the surgery. So many of these people treat the surgery as if it will "fix" everything. It won't. (And I'm not saying that you think that.) This journey has been a bigger commitment so far than earning my PhD. No joke.

Finding a professional to help you is probably a good idea. The mental battle of this journey is way more intense than the physical one.