Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are folks eating for amounts?

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

My group works with a research hospital and focuses on returning people to normal calorie intakes sooner...because this is correlated with better long term outcomes. We will lose as much weight as those on very restrictive calorie diets, but it takes us longer. At the end of 18 months our weight loss is virtually identical to theirs, statistically.

Now, here's the interesting part.... After five years, we have less regain than the restricted calorie group. The theory is that by resetting our metabolisms to deal with more realistic food intake sooner...we get some long term benefit from that.

More food now...less regain later. Win-win:) I also like my group's inclusion of lots of complex carbs, fruits and whole grains. I'm a Mediterranean diet fan...so this works well for me.

This makes me feel better about my 1000 calories + occasional carbs diet. :) But it also just makes sense to me overall. I have to listen to my body and eat what it needs. There's no way I'd feel good on 600 calories/day at this point (especially because I finally have energy again and I'm doing 30-40 minutes of cardio/day too). I view how I'm eating now as how I'm going to eat for the rest of my life.

On 2/11/2018 at 12:31 PM, BostonWLKC said:

I am about 7/8 weeks out and I am eating about 4 ounces per meal - within about 30 min

Total calories are around 500- 600 for the day

Does that sound about right? I want to maximize my weight loss during his time and I’ve not added anything other than Proteins yet

HW 242

SW 236- December 20, 2017

CW 199

GW 160

@BostonWLKC, I just noticed your username - are you in the Boston area? I am, and it's interesting that our surgery dates, starting weight, etc., are very similar!

And after all that worrying about my 1000 calories being too much, today is weigh-in day and I'm down 2.8 lbs for the week. :)

Wow, I'm eating more than everyone else (usually around 1000 calories) but I'm still losing 1-2 lbs a week, so I guess it's okay? Also, I don't feel like my hunger hormone entirely went away. Hunger feels DIFFERENT now, but I definitely know when my body needs food, and I never forget to eat. :-/
I posted this in the December Sleevers thread but I'll share it here, too. A typical day for me:
(I don't usually finish my whole turkey sandwich at lunch, but when I made just half a sandwich, it didn't feel like quite enough.)
sunday.thumb.png.1d5e2fe0b2ea90d052ea44a8dc17cc4d.png

May I ask what tracking app that is? Trying to find an easy way to track! TIA [emoji74]

VSG 1/8/18. HW 271 SW 257 CW 215

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I had used SparkPeople for years but I like this one better. (It has a built-in scanner, like the Weight Watchers app does, which is super helpful.)

Sure.
I lost 26 pounds during my 6 month presurg diet eating 16-1800 calories per day.
Day of surgery I was 234.
Today I am 204.
I've lost about 30 pounds in about 11 weeks since surgery. I'm really happy with this.
My group works with a research hospital and focuses on returning people to normal calorie intakes sooner...because this is correlated with better long term outcomes. We will lose as much weight as those on very restrictive calorie diets, but it takes us longer. At the end of 18 months our weight loss is virtually identical to theirs, statistically.
Now, here's the interesting part.... After five years, we have less regain than the restricted calorie group. The theory is that by resetting our metabolisms to deal with more realistic food intake sooner...we get some long term benefit from that.
More food now...less regain later. Win-win:) I also like my group's inclusion of lots of complex carbs, fruits and whole grains. I'm a Mediterranean diet fan...so this works well for me.

I'm very interested in this idea of what your group does! I was on 6 to 700 a day for awhile and stalled! Upped to around 1000 and it seems to be moving again, yay! I wonder if it's the thing where your body goes into starvation mode and slows down the metabolism? Now wondering if I should up cals to 1100 or 1200 .. I do get 10k to 13k ++ steps a day for work (phleb at Red Cross mobile drives) and have been doing HIIT 2 or 3x week plus some yoga. It's all so confusing [emoji44] [emoji44] [emoji44]

VSG 1/8/18. HW 271 SW 257 CW 215

That was a typo...I actually lost 36 pounds before surgery. My Bad.

I love my group, and I believe in the research they're doing. I did a lot of looking around to find the right folks for me...because I knew I didn't want to do Keto diet, and so many bariatric groups ban carbs. (No offense to those who benefit from keto...I know you're out there...it's just not for me)

One cool thing about going with a major research hospital is that they serve a very diverse population....there are many patients at my clinic who are vegan, Kosher, Halal...folks from all over the world with all sorts of eating traditions. So, there's a great deal of care and flexibility put into customizing nutrition for each patient.

Starvation is a serious factor in stalls. The body has a multitude of evolutionary defense mechanisms in place to protect us from famines, bad hunting seasons, stressful times of healing. There are hormones and enzymes...set point triggers that can save our butts in times of hardship and survival....but wreak havoc on dieting efforts! it's maddening.

All of this said....it's very hard to work with a group when you're not following their advice. I don't think discussing variances from the program is ever a bad thing....but ultimately, you need to be working together with common goal with a common philosophy.

@BostonWLKC, I just noticed your username - are you in the Boston area? I am, and it's interesting that our surgery dates, starting weight, etc., are very similar!
And after all that worrying about my 1000 calories being too much, today is weigh-in day and I'm down 2.8 lbs for the week. [emoji4]

Hi yes! Congrats on your loss!

HW 242, SW 236- Bypass 12/20/17
GW#1- 199 [emoji736]. GW#2- 175
CW 195
5’6”

I had surgery on 12/13/2018, and I eat around 750-900 calories a day. That keeps me satisfied. I can only eat around 3.5 oz in a sitting. Some days I have 50 carbs, some days I have 80. It just depends on my food choices that day. My doctor’s office isn’t concerned about carbs. They said to eat my Protein first and if I am hungry for carbs after then I can eat them!

Hi all! How has the past 4 months been? It’s been about 6 months!

I’m about 86 lbs down! Wearing size 4 or 6 pants and even a small or medium shirt! Holy crap!!

I am 6 weeks out and eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I eat 120 lbs of Protein a day or more. I’ve lost 36 lbs. Daily rate loss of .92.

I say we are all different. If you are losing then keep doing your thing.

120 lbs of Protein a day is astounding. :lol:

(I know ya meant grams....but I had to poke a little fun)

I am 7 years out and that still sounds about right. I recently just did a pouch reset and I am about 3 weeks out on the reset and am maintaining about 600 calories per day and having weight loss with it.