Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've always loved salads and raw veggies. Lately, at the stage I'm at (soft foods) tuna and chicken salad are just not doing it for me because I miss the added crunch of onions, celery, peppers, etc. Of course, I'm going to wait until I get to 6 weeks and I'm cleared for raw veggies before I try them.

That being said, I'm nervous as to how my stomach will handle them when the time comes. When I was pregnant with my son, I couldn't handle raw veggies at all during my pregnancy (I have a really sensitive stomach, go figure). I had to cook my veggies to mush, kind of like I do right now.

Does anyone have lingering problem with vegetables? What veggies did you start with, or would recommend? I got 5 days til my six week mark!!!

Just chew really, really well and have tiny bites. I had issues with cooked broccoli for about 6 months, but all is good now. Just remember to eat slowly and basically liquefy your food before you swallow.

I had salad first. Don’t remember when but I did chew it down pretty good. Haven’t had an issue. Hopefully you won’t either! Rooting for ya!

1 minute ago, Newme17 said:

I had salad first. Don’t remember when but I did chew it down pretty good. Haven’t had an issue. Hopefully you won’t either! Rooting for ya!

Thanks!! :D

Be careful.

Some people never have any trouble, lots take some time to tolerate and some have continuing issues so take it slow and a little bit at first... wait half an hour or more to see how it sits.

I couldn’t do lettuce for about 3-4 months. Carrots, celery and cruciferous stuff (cauliflower, broccoli) took longer for me and I still can only do a very small amount and I’m four and a half years out.

Other people have trouble with the gas producing ones like cucumbers but I never did.

@jess9395 that's what I'm afraid of.

Everyone's feedback has really helped me think about my strategy here. For my first salad, I think I'm going to try iceburg lettuce and concentrate on the whiter, crunchier parts rather than something like romaine, which has more nutrient value but is leafy and harder to digest. I feel like cucumbers would be a safe bet too. Raw carrots and celery might take more time. I'm going to go really slow, but I hope I'll eventually end up back to where I can eat salads with all my favorite fixins (nuts, seeds, veggies galore, etc)... just 1/4 the size and with 1/4 the dressing.

It may sound silly but I feel like it's good to plan and have something to look forward to!

Iceberg lettuce gets a bad rap, yeah the darker greens have more Vitamin A, but iceberg isn’t bad!

https://www.self.com/story/does-iceberg-lettuce-really-have-no-nutritional-value-whatsoever

Just try little bits, introduce one at a time, chew well and wait to see how it feels when it hits your stomach half an hour or an hour later.

I used to “de-string” the celery and that helped. Also careful with the cucumber too, some people can’t deal well with the gas it produces.

That said, I do “leftovers” salad several times a week myself. So you will probably get there! I throw in whatever I get in my harvest box... leftovers from other meals... nuts, cheese, chopped dried fruit. Regarding the dressing.... watch out for “low fat” ones that increase the sugar in them. My trick is to take a big Tupperware/gladware lidded bowl and put all my salad fixings inside, put the dressing on close the lid and shake the heck out of it. I need less dressing that way because it coats nicely!

If you have a Trader Joe’s around try these dressings! Theres a third with tumeric and almond butter. Even Early out they can moisten Proteins and such—

Image1518281005.474451.jpg Image1518281026.603518.jpg

@jess9395 you rock!! Thanks for these suggestions.

Those dressings look so good, especially the carrot ginger. I also love turmeric, it's a natural anti-inflammatory. I drink tea with turmeric and ginger almost every day.

Definitely planning a trip to Trader Joes soon!

I got a burrito bowl with pico de gallo right when I started soft foods and it didn’t go well at all, but no issues with raw veggies now.

Today’s leftovers salad... with goat cheese, dried apricots after being tossed w TJ green goddess dressing in the big bowl. Probably won’t be able to finish all of it. Also having a half a sirloin burger patty.IMG_5909.JPG

On 2/9/2018 at 12:54 PM, sleeved2win said:

I've always loved salads and raw veggies. Lately, at the stage I'm at (soft foods) tuna and chicken salad are just not doing it for me because I miss the added crunch of onions, celery, peppers, etc. Of course, I'm going to wait until I get to 6 weeks and I'm cleared for raw veggies before I try them.

You're allowed raw veggies at 6 weeks? My surgeon told me no raw vegetables for 4-6 months! What the heck?

You're allowed raw veggies at 6 weeks? My surgeon told me no raw vegetables for 4-6 months! What the heck?

There is no standard post op diet. Each surgeon makes their best guess as to what will produce the best results with the least risk based on their knowledge and experience.