Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Years Post-Op and Need Inspiration

Hi There,

It's been *just* over two years since my surgery, and I've had a very positive experience with my LAP-BAND. Save for that one time I ate chicken tikka masala, and a small piece of carrot got stuck, causing the absolute worse nausea and pain... But, hey, live and learn, right? I now avoid carrots like the plague.

All said, I have been happy with my results.

Until recently. Despite having regular fills and check-ins with my surgeon, I have definitely hit a plateau in overall weight loss, but also in my general motivation. I'm uninspired when it comes to cooking and meal selection. I find myself grazing, often on processed foods that provide no nutritional value, and often slide through my band without a feeling of fullness or satiation. I also find myself wanting to eat more at nighttime. Which often leads to less-than-optimal food choices.

I'm also not exercising regularly, so you can imagine how this slide in behavior and lack of motivation is tripping me up a bit. I weighed myself this past weekend, and I am now at my heaviest since hitting that plateau. Frankly, I'm a little scared. I didn't go through this process to slowly slide backwards.

I recognize that my choices are truly what has caused this slide. I am curious and excited to hear what others are doing to keep themselves motivated and on-track - especially once you've hit a plateau, or an extended period of time post-op.

B.

I'm saddened to see that not one person has stepped up and responded to your post... NOT EVEN A MONTH after you've posted! That really doesn't show anything inspiring or motivating, does it? And, it's something we've all faced and had to get through so I know there are others with experience to share and advice to offer. I hope it's a simple oversight!

I'm sorry nobody has said anything prior to this point, but I will do my best to help with offering my experiences. Even though I am new here, I have found myself in your shoes a few times since I've been banded in December 2008. I apologize for being a bit long-winded, but hopefully this will help? Possibly? Maybe? I hope so!

My biggest hiccup (mental and physical) to overcome was my knee surgeries. Super short version, I underwent 4 major knee surgeries on both knees between 2013 and 2015. Of those, three were knee replacements. (The very first was botched by the first surgeon and required a major revision 2 years later. During that time I had a difficult time even walking without a cane.) Prior to the surgeries I was a gym rat and worked out every day. I felt great and the weight was flying off. Although I had lost 164 pounds and could see the "finish" line of my goal weight, I still wasn't there.

After the surgeries, it took all my energy just achieving the most mundane daily tasks. Heck, taking a shower in itself felt like a workout and required a nap! To add insult to injury, I had such bad swelling in one knee it was shutting my muscles down. (I now have some atrophy in that leg. Yay.) I was mentally and physically drained. I felt sorry for myself and camped out for my own pity party for far too long and gained 84 pounds back.

Here I am, 2+ years later and FINALLY back in a groove. (I still can't ride my road or mountain bike and probably never will because I don't have enough flex for the rotation. And, I can no longer kneel, run, or jump. Great.) It took me a long time to find my rhythm. To say how I found it, I wish I could offer some easy answer like it was this one particular GRAND FIREWORK event that sparked my motivation. It wasn't. It's as if I just woke up one day and was like, "Oh, there you are!"

So much has happened in 8+ years and I have found myself on/off track throughout that entire time. I divorced in 2009 and just got married this past October. I've dated on/off in between that time (eating in restaurants constantly... ohhhh not good!) and had the huge Detour with my knees like I mentioned above.

Currently, I've got 54 pounds that I'd gained to shed... and then it's back to where I left off on my journey prior to my "detour". I started out this year 74 pounds heavier... so a 20 pound loss in 2 1/2 months is something I'm happy with!

So, what can I surmise with all of this? Life happens. Plateau's happen. We get comfortable. We get unmotivated. We regret and feel guilty for our poor choices. Sometimes things happen by our own doing and other times it's out of our control. Don't get discouraged! Learn from your setbacks. Have a pity party, pout, scream, but move on from it. Don't camp out there like I did.

Some suggestions that have helped me: 1. Create an inspiration board or wall and look at it every day! Put pictures up of the old you, the current you, along with things that motivate & inspire you. 2. If you don't feel like working out, FORCE yourself to! (The only workout you will regret is the one you didn't do!) 3. Look up a new motivational health/fitness quote every day! 4. Try a new recipe once a week. 5. Prep your meals/snacks a few days in advance. It makes it so much easier to grab/go. 6. Focus on just one pound at a time. Don't do the math of losing x-number of pounds by x-month & day. To me, that's just setting myself up for failure.

Finally, this BIGGEST thing that's helped me find my groove this time around... the fact that I have come so far and refuse to go back to where I was. I've worked toooooo darn hard to NOT bust my behind and reach my goal. I can do this. I WILL do this. And, you my BariatricPal friend, WILL DO THIS TOO! You need to look deep within and ask yourself why YOU have made the commitment to a healthier lifestyle.

Great post. Literally just joined like... 3 mins ago. Not sure how to do any of this. Wanted to say I enjoyed reading this. I too get understand the getting comfortable and then gaining back, then losing, then gaining. Vicious cycle. So helpful to know others came feel where you come from and REALLY understand the struggle. Thank you for your words.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Fuzzy, do you have the Lap-Band too? :)