Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Shake The Tree!! Hey Vets, Maintaining is All About The Rules...Right?

2 minutes ago, summerset said:

Hm, I'm beginning to think I got you wrong. I thought you were talking about this 10% regain of lost weight after WLS.

My weight history was the initial part. I don't know what % the typical weight regain post surgery is. I read that it's anywhere from 10-20lbs. You know? But what you've said makes complete sense. If you lose 200lbs and keep off 180lbs of that...then you're still ahead of the curve ball.

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

And sadly, it means that I can't really plan for the future--since I really don't know where I fit in that continuum.

And I can completely understand how frustrating this is. Try your best to learn new skills to deal with everyday life. It's not that I'm not struggling in some way. Caffeine and sugar problems anyone? (make that a double espresso, please, ok?)

I wish you all the best.

TY hon! :D I'm sure I will figure it out and in retrospect it won't be a big deal. It usually turns out that way.

I was homeless as a kid for a while when my dad lost his business, and my mom had a few nervous breakdowns that necessitated hospitalization, so as a coping skill, I learned to plan in an effort to control some part of my world. It makes the future less scary feeling when you feel like you can plan for tomorrow. But the downside to that is the unnecessary worry and wasted energy that unnecessary planning takes to fulfill. :D Good times! Welcome to my 10lbs of crazy stuffed into my 5lb head! ;) hehe

21 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, let's have some drama for the weekend and shake the tree!!!!

Question: Is the only difference between meeting your goal and maintaining it long term versus losing some of the weight and regaining part or all, only about following your diet, weighing/measuring/logging and exercising (i.e. maintaining healthy diet/exercise practices)?

ORRRRRRRRR

Does weight gain at year 2 or 3 "just magically happen" through no fault of your own and despite continuing to eat the SAME exact healthy diet you were eating to lose and initially maintain? I mean, if you're still eating 1000-1200 cals/day and exercising 4-5 days a week, 45 minutes a day--will you regain the 10-20lbs regardless of how pure you are? Or is regain ONLY gonna happen when we revert to old poor food behaviors and overeating/eating crap or eating around our surgeries?

I'm honestly terrified of being in this second group. I want to know what I must be on-guard about after surgery. Like I can't fool myself into believing that after surgery moderation in everything will allow me to lose and maintain my losses. It's just illogical. I never had balance before. I crave bad crap. Often eat emotionally. Etc. If I don't revise ALL of those things, it seems to me, I'm just a few bites away from regaining all the hard won losses? True? Or false?

Will all of you who've maintained their losses please share your secrets for maintaining your weight losses without a regain or only a tiny regain, please????

Does the reason why any of us have a weight gain matter? Could be many things. Your body settling, medical issues, major life changes or old behaviors creeping back in. It's more important that we recognise a gain and work to get back to healthy.

I can relate. I feel the need to control my weight.

I have to admit my fear of regain is not a normal level. I felt out of control with food and my weight most of my life. I now over think maintaining. It's a bit obsessive on my part. It's something I'm working on.

I think I understand your question and concern.

From my personal experience at 4.5 years out, if I eat the way I know I should and exercise the way I know I should... that is if I keep on keeping on, I do not inevitably gain weight.

If life happens and holiday Cookies or a torn achillies get the better of me, I gain.

Is that what you’re
Asking?

3 hours ago, jenn1 said:

Does the reason why any of us have a weight gain matter? Could be many things. Your body settling, medical issues, major life changes or old behaviors creeping back in. It's more important that we recognise a gain and work to get back to healthy.

I can relate. I feel the need to control my weight.

I have to admit my fear of regain is not a normal level. I felt out of control with food and my weight most of my life. I now over think maintaining. It's a bit obsessive on my part. It's something I'm working on.

The reason why only matters (for me) in understanding and anticipating whether or not there will be this invisible wall that exists after the honeymoon period where, regardless of virtuous diet or exercise, you will begin to gain weight. If that exists, then I want to try to prepare myself as much as possible to guard against backsliding. Since I know my own basic proclivities and want to become a new person without so many of my old flaws.

Does that make sense?

Thank you for sharing your fears about regain. I think I'm in the same boat--only you are more "evolved" and healed! ((hugs))

3 hours ago, jess9395 said:

I think I understand your question and concern.

From my personal experience at 4.5 years out, if I eat the way I know I should and exercise the way I know I should... that is if I keep on keeping on, I do not inevitably gain weight.

If life happens and holiday Cookies or a torn achillies get the better of me, I gain.

Is that what you’re
Asking?

Yes!!! Exactly!! Thanks so much for inspiring me girlie. You've no idea!!! You also give me hope!

@FluffyChix the numbers will vary and should vary as you lose weight. Let’s say that 1000 cal a day should only be working to maintain if you were 4’2” and 80 lbs. I believe that any doc/nut should/will adjust the amounts you should be taking in for maintenance. Or you can figure these numbers out yourself. Here’s a calculator I like to use. It gives you an idea of what should be. Notice I didn’t say it’s 100% accurate...someone will always find something wrong, but it gives the general idea of what your numbers should be based on your age and activity level and your goals. Obviously this doesn’t work for us who have tiny stomachs now, but it can when we get to goal cause we do eat more by then.

http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

@Newme17 Thanks so much for the calculator! What you say makes a lot of sense! The numbers were only a hypothetical--although you hear it here all the time of people living 1 year out on 1000-1200 cals/day. :(

It's been challenging to maintain my weight loss, but thankfully not as challenging as I'd expected it to be prior to surgery. During the first year when I was losing weight I was definitely more meticulous about tracking my food, limiting my carbs, and exercising than I am now, but part of it has to do with having developed habits. I used MyFitnessPal every single day, without fail, for the full first year, and that helped me to become very aware of how much I was consuming. Now it's more instinctive.

I began to have more difficulties 18 months post-op, but that was primarily due to changing medication for endocrine disorders that I have, and experiencing a surge in appetite due to one in particular. It had been a "rule" to avoid carbonation, but since it's actually a myth that it will stretch your stomach out, it's one I've broken to my benefit. I drink a lot of La Croix and other carbonated Water. It helps to give the sensation of being full without eating a ton.

I weigh myself every week, and if I've gained more than five pounds, I become a bit stricter with myself.

The reason why only matters (for me) in understanding and anticipating whether or not there will be this invisible wall that exists after the honeymoon period where, regardless of virtuous diet or exercise, you will begin to gain weight. If that exists, then I want to try to prepare myself as much as possible to guard against backsliding. Since I know my own basic proclivities and want to become a new person without so many of my old flaws.
Does that make sense?
Thank you for sharing your fears about regain. I think I'm in the same boat--only you are more "evolved" and healed! ((hugs))

That totally makes sense to me!

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

@Newme17 Thanks so much for the calculator! What you say makes a lot of sense! The numbers were only a hypothetical--although you hear it here all the time of people living 1 year out on 1000-1200 cals/day. :(

I just cannot imagine living my life that way forever. Particularly with RNY when you aren't absorbing everything... out of 1000 calories, how much are you absorbing? And then presumably you're exercising at least a bit and trying to fuel the rest of your life... nope, can't do it. I will be upping my calories as soon as I can tolerate it, volume-wise. Eating the right calories of course :) 1800-2200 calories of veggies, whole grains, nuts, Beans, fruit... way different from 1800-2200 calories of burgers, fried foods, pizza, etc.

@FluffyChix: The weight gain is indeed because of "not following the rules".

However, as with other strict diets this whole bunch of strict rules can't usually be followed forever. Willpower wears out. There might be a few exceptions who can follow the whole book of rules forever (as there is with other diets; after all there are people who maintain their weight with WW etc. as well).

To not make WLS into just another diet or diet in disguise that gives you great success in the beginning and makes you miserable a few months or years down the road: implement rules that you can follow forever.

4 hours ago, summerset said:

@FluffyChix: The weight gain is indeed because of "not following the rules".

However, as with other strict diets this whole bunch of strict rules can't usually be followed forever. Willpower wears out. There might be a few exceptions who can follow the whole book of rules forever (as there is with other diets; after all there are people who maintain their weight with WW etc. as well).

To not make WLS into just another diet or diet in disguise that gives you great success in the beginning and makes you miserable a few months or years down the road: implement rules that you can follow forever.

Exactly. That's the whole goal is to determine what that road map looks like and how strict or relaxed I get to be. I surely hope I don't have to walk the tightrope I currently navigate as a pre-surg. LOL.

I am just trying to find out definitively through your anecdotal experiences if an invisible wall exists that you hit once years 2-3 are under your belt. You read it all the time about how, it's year 2-3 that really defines what will happen in your post surgery world. That's the real scary part for me. Does it happen no matter what you do? Or is the massiveness of the wall determined by how abstemious you have been up to that point. Right?

Edited by FluffyChix

7 hours ago, Little Green said:

I just cannot imagine living my life that way forever. Particularly with RNY when you aren't absorbing everything... out of 1000 calories, how much are you absorbing? And then presumably you're exercising at least a bit and trying to fuel the rest of your life... nope, can't do it. I will be upping my calories as soon as I can tolerate it, volume-wise. Eating the right calories of course :) 1800-2200 calories of veggies, whole grains, nuts, Beans, fruit... way different from 1800-2200 calories of burgers, fried foods, pizza, etc.

My surgeon says that although there is absolutely a honeymoon period for both types of surgery, she puts that at 6months. And she says they're finding that the malabsorption isn't as big of a deal as they previously thought. For one thing, modern RNYs take a much smaller portion of the duodenum than the old surgeries.

And I totally agree that caloric source is so important!! Good luck on getting to enjoy 1800-2200 cals/day. Until I'm able to get a whole lot more active, that is not my reality as a 55 year old post meno female who takes an endocrine pill to shut down as many of her hormones/hormone production as it possibly can. Think trying to lose weight when your female hormones are whackadoodle. That's my life. It's infinitely more difficult at this point. But, I will hopefully get to enjoy between 1200-1400 in maintenance at my current activity level--maybe even 200cals more, but I doubt that somehow.