Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Antidepressants and gastric bypass

Hello

I had gastric bypass in 2012. Have regretted it ever since. At first I was confused cause they said I wouldn't be as hungry. I was starving and having stomach pains from hunger. I lost 80pds. I didn't even get to enjoy the feeling of stepping on a scale and smiling or fitting into smaller clothes with excitement. The feeling I waited for for so long never happen but maybe a smile when people told me how good I looked. Inside, I was falling apart. Before the surgery, the team of people at weight loss center knew I had panic attacks and depression. Very bad. I was on zoloft and ativan. I had recently had a mild heart attack so my regular doctor brought up the surgery because I was very overweight. I agreed. When I reached my goal weight, I started getting non stop panic attacks. Waking up 4 to 5 times a night with these attacks. It was so bad that u told my then Psychiatric nurse practitioner this problem and she actually told me she couldn't help me. I swear to God. She actually said that to her patient who was crying and needing help cause I didn't know what was happening. So I just walked out dumbfounded and lost. Then I had to go in search of another psychiatric to help me. Which was so hard to find where I live. Found one who didn't understand what was going on. So I was off the zoloft but still getting ativan from reg doc. I became suicidal, couldn't eat because when I would eat, it would make my anxiety worse. Didn't understand that. Found another doc who put me on Prozac (liquid) and Olizapine (might be spelled wrong). Two meds that make u gain weight. Thought I was safe because of surgery but no. They switched me back to zoloft (liquid). Nothing has worked and u gained my weight back, really depressed and anxious all the time. None stop stomach problems. Lots of accidents. Horrible! New doctor said thats been known that antidepressants won't absorb cause of surgery. I don't know what to do. My health has gotten worse. Mentally and physically. Gastric surgeon said she's never had a case with antidepressants not working. But been told by 2 docs that is does. I'm a mess and on zoloft, at Ivan, Gabapentin and prazosin for nightmares. None are working but ativan... kinda. Help me! I'm so scared and have a very worried son whose scared to leave me alone. Can't stop crying and sleeping all the time. Now in overweight again and also has another heart attack from anxiety. Had to have 3 stents. Afraid

Karen, you need a professional therapist, not a message board. I am so sorry you're dealing with these terrible mental health issues...I know they're devastating, and I know how they can rob your quality of life.

I think the place to start is with a really good therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders.

I am so sorry you have to deal with these problems. Wishing you the very best.

Hi

Thank you for your response. I do have a both a therapist and a psychiatric doctor who prescribes meds. I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Just upset that gastric surgeon is saying it has nothing to do with the bypass when I'm starting to read and hear that it does. I'm kinda stuck unless it can be reversed. Thank you though for helping. Your dog is beautiful ☺

I wonder why they are only sticking to Zoloft when there are dozens of other options to choose from. I've been on the med merry-go-round before, and it sucks, but look at these options:

Effexor: LIFE-SAVING for me. I take 150 mg. I will take the regular release when I get sleeved to ensure no issues.

Celexa

Lexapro

Nefazodone (everyone freaks out of the liver failure possibility for this, but READ THE STATISTICS first. It's rare, rare, rare!!!)

Trazodone (great for anxiety, but knocks you out)

Cymbalta

Pamelor (older, but a works)

Moody stabilizers (Topamax, Tegretol, Trileptal, Lyrica, lamictal, Geodon)

Buspar

NAC - Amino acid available OTC that is being tested in clinical trials for anxiety disorders and addiction. Comes in liquid.

Memantine (used off-label for OCD, GAD, and migraines) It's a dementia drug that has found some limited mainstream success in off-label uses (doctors still get weird about this one, even though it's pretty benign, old, and safe).

Time to take a step back and put your mental health first. The rest will fall into place after the fact. Get stabilized, even if it means going inpatient. Fire the psychiatrist who "can't help you." That's absurd. Getting stable can take a few months, but you'll get there. I believe that you can reap the benefits of your gastric bypass and still take meds.

Hello

Thank you so much? Celexa and Welbutrin worked best for me before surgery the surgery, then I had 1st heart attack at 46. Found out that celexa at 60mg in a woman past 40 is bad for your heart. So they took me off and Welbutrin caused a itchy rash. So that's why the zoloft. Cymbalta is what I wanted to try but insurance won't cover it probably because it works 😞. I may ask about effexor and lexapro. I'm been dealing with these problems for 21 years. I'm overweight again and confused because I still cant eat like I use to. I throw up with 2 bites of chicken. Sometimes I can't even get my Vitamins down. In the bathroom all day.. Ugh! I'm so tired 😞

You might consider Lexapro. It's generic now and the "cousin" of Celexa without the known heart issues. My mom was on 60 mg of Celexa and they pulled her off too once they found out about the heart stuff. She had good success with Effexor... Lexapro too.

Something else to consider... My doc had me take a test to see which drugs I metabolize best. Turns out I'm a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6 medications. Doesn't mean I don't take 'em, just means that we adjust the dose to go with my genetics. Lots of tools out there to help these days. I get so mad when I hear medical doctors not using resources available. Insurance companies as the worst of all though... They make it damn near impossible for docs to give their patients the most innovative and evidence-based medicine available,

That's what I'm feeling like exactly. It's like they don't care. I've done the liquid, crusher up the pills and put them in pudding to absorb. Then I have to switch doctors cause mine left and the next doctor didn't believe about the whole ordeal and put me on regular pills. He was a total idiot so I switched again and now she's trying to figure out what to do. I will ask about the lexapro for sure. Oh i want to know about this test you took. I've never been offered that. Thank you!!

Edited by Karen25

I can't remember exactly what company did it. My doc ordered it for me. The test is to determine what drugs you metabolize best through the CYP system. Your doctor will know what this means, as it's like pharmacology 101. You need to find out if your insurance covers it. My didn't, but the company had a financial assistance plan. I'm gainfully employed, make about $60,000 a year, and I only had to pay $20.00 for the test after applying for the program. The test is just a TOOL tho (much like our sleeves and bypass!!!) It was interesting, because I had a VERY bad reaction to only 20 MGs of prozac a few years back. When the test results came back, Prozac was in RED under DO NOT USE. The meds I take now fall right in the middle (use with caution and monitor dose). It's not a perfect system. All it did was give us something to start with for guidance. The best indicator is what medication actually works for you (obviously :-) )

Hi Karen25! I too suffered from depression and extreme anxiety. The best thing that I ever did was to check myself in to an inpatient mental health unit. There I got all the help I needed, and got hooked up with one of the best psychiatric doctors available in my area. I see him monthly now after 3 years. I take venlafaxine (Effexor) 150mg daily, and that's it! I have noticed a little depression post RNY surgery, but it's getting better already. Bottom line is think about inpatient help.

Hi

I did check myself in twice. First place gave me worsened my PTSD. They did nothing and second place said I wasn't suicidal and wanted to send me to the CBT program, which I just finished. Also he said I wasn't like the patients cause I seemed saner then them. Dang, I could write a book about this. It's been a nightmare! Thank you though for your concern. I appreciate all advice.

10 hours ago, ajmsp8879 said:

I can't remember exactly what company did it. My doc ordered it for me. The test is to determine what drugs you metabolize best through the CYP system. Your doctor will know what this means, as it's like pharmacology 101. You need to find out if your insurance covers it. My didn't, but the company had a financial assistance plan. I'm gainfully employed, make about $60,000 a year, and I only had to pay $20.00 for the test after applying for the program. The test is just a TOOL tho (much like our sleeves and bypass!!!) It was interesting, because I had a VERY bad reaction to only 20 MGs of prozac a few years back. When the test results came back, Prozac was in RED under DO NOT USE. The meds I take now fall right in the middle (use with caution and monitor dose). It's not a perfect system. All it did was give us something to start with for guidance. The best indicator is what medication actually works for you (obviously :-) )

Thank you so much! Calling doctor tomorrow! Your so kind

Hello
I had gastric bypass in 2012. Have regretted it ever since. At first I was confused cause they said I wouldn't be as hungry. I was starving and having stomach pains from hunger. I lost 80pds. I didn't even get to enjoy the feeling of stepping on a scale and smiling or fitting into smaller clothes with excitement. The feeling I waited for for so long never happen but maybe a smile when people told me how good I looked. Inside, I was falling apart. Before the surgery, the team of people at weight loss center knew I had panic attacks and depression. Very bad. I was on zoloft and ativan. I had recently had a mild heart attack so my regular doctor brought up the surgery because I was very overweight. I agreed. When I reached my goal weight, I started getting non stop panic attacks. Waking up 4 to 5 times a night with these attacks. It was so bad that u told my then Psychiatric nurse practitioner this problem and she actually told me she couldn't help me. I swear to God. She actually said that to her patient who was crying and needing help cause I didn't know what was happening. So I just walked out dumbfounded and lost. Then I had to go in search of another psychiatric to help me. Which was so hard to find where I live. Found one who didn't understand what was going on. So I was off the zoloft but still getting ativan from reg doc. I became suicidal, couldn't eat because when I would eat, it would make my anxiety worse. Didn't understand that. Found another doc who put me on Prozac (liquid) and Olizapine (might be spelled wrong). Two meds that make u gain weight. Thought I was safe because of surgery but no. They switched me back to zoloft (liquid). Nothing has worked and u gained my weight back, really depressed and anxious all the time. None stop stomach problems. Lots of accidents. Horrible! New doctor said thats been known that antidepressants won't absorb cause of surgery. I don't know what to do. My health has gotten worse. Mentally and physically. Gastric surgeon said she's never had a case with antidepressants not working. But been told by 2 docs that is does. I'm a mess and on zoloft, at Ivan, Gabapentin and prazosin for nightmares. None are working but ativan... kinda. Help me! I'm so scared and have a very worried son whose scared to leave me alone. Can't stop crying and sleeping all the time. Now in overweight again and also has another heart attack from anxiety. Had to have 3 stents. Afraid

Karen, you need a professional therapist, not a message board. I am so sorry you're dealing with these terrible mental health issues...I know they're devastating, and I know how they can rob your quality of life.
I think the place to start is with a really good therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders.
I am so sorry you have to deal with these problems. Wishing you the very best.

Hi. I'm taking liquid effexor which treats anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Had gastric bypass on the 23rd. I am also on liquid wellbutrin for depression. I had both meds mixed at a compounding pharmacy. Just got the scripts for the pills and the oral liquid compounds from my primary care.

I am not facing the anxiety or panic attacks so far. Today I did start having some depressive thoughts but my body is changing and adjusting to the meds and I am off many meds that I was taking.

Sure there is the malabsorption issue but I know there are people who have had the gastric bypass and are doing well on anxiety and depression meds.

If a professional has no clue then ditch them and find a doctor who will help.

I will say though that I had to figure a lot of it on my own. For instance, I was on cymbalta which is an SNRI and it worked well for me for anxiety and panic attacks. I then looked up other SNRIs and found that effexor is one and can be compounded into liquid for. Cost $30 per month.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

38 minutes ago, Nancy Geoghegan said:

Hi. I'm taking liquid effexor which treats anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Had gastric bypass on the 23rd. I am also on liquid wellbutrin for depression. I had both meds mixed at a compounding pharmacy. Just got the scripts for the pills and the oral liquid compounds from my primary care.

I am not facing the anxiety or panic attacks so far. Today I did start having some depressive thoughts but my body is changing and adjusting to the meds and I am off many meds that I was taking.

Sure there is the malabsorption issue but I know there are people who have had the gastric bypass and are doing well on anxiety and depression meds.

If a professional has no clue then ditch them and find a doctor who will help.

I will say though that I had to figure a lot of it on my own. For instance, I was on cymbalta which is an SNRI and it worked well for me for anxiety and panic attacks. I then looked up other SNRIs and found that effexor is one and can be compounded into liquid for. Cost $30 per month.

Hope this helps!

Hello

Thank you! I've been hearing a lot about effexor. Welbrutrin worked great but my skin got so itchy. I'm glad effexor can be compounded into liquid. I'm getting lots of answers on this site. So grateful! Thank you again!

Hello
Thank you! I've been hearing a lot about effexor. Welbrutrin worked great but my skin got so itchy. I'm glad effexor can be compounded into liquid. I'm getting lots of answers on this site. So grateful! Thank you again!

Funny thing is I found out from the compounding pharmacist that even cymbalta can be compounded if I need it. 130 bucks a month though.

I may end up going back to the cymbalta capsule some day. I know some people are doing that after months have passed.

We are all so different and we must be our best advocates and never give up. God bless you.