Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery, “it’s the easy way.”

Here is what I’ve learned from everyone on this forum. People can be very judgmental, lacking in support and down right mean regarding wight loss surgery. Since we can’t predict who will act in this manner, my path forward was to tell only those who I knew would understand and have my back. Anyone else was told I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and had to make substantial changes in my diet. That is actually the truth. I just see no reason to let acquaintances know my medical history. It is not their business to approve or not.

That is all it took! Not one person has been suspicious.

Okayestmom...you have every reason to be proud!

If diets and weight loss strategies worked as long term solutions, the diet industry would do out of business!

LMAO, Frustr8! Nice to see your balding head!

@Gundy I assume you mean my posting about. my dear,precious Cousin Anthony. Yes he belongs to the side on my family with the unadmitted to Native American blood. If you look at my ancestral,pictures on that side, the farther back you go, the stronger the impression you form.
One day when I summoned up some bravery and asked an older relative , she gave me a withering look and declared I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! Maybe back then nobody had any pride in a "Indian in the woodpile" didn't matter that,much to me, after all I'm redheaded and they were sure I didn't belong to them. Anthony's branch always was proud of their dark thick hair, made fun of my red gold wavy fly away hair every chance they got. So this was a good jibe back, hmmm just thought of another if dear cousin and I cross paths. I think,I shall smile sweetly and say "Anthony,i just don't understand it, I always heard Indians don't go bald? " Mind you they probably do, but,the bulbs in that side only light if you screw them in better than normal. See I also have an education to be held against me. And of course THAT side had no obesity in it. Educated, red👸 hair with waves fair skin and fat, OMG I am a failure times 4. Sad isn't it?

I’m constantly repeating myself on this topic to people who don’t understand. If going through this process is “easy”, I sure as hell would hate to see the “hard” way. Believe me, as I sit here having just eaten pureed avocado, I would love to shove a pizza down my throat BUT, I did this to better myself and I have come to terms with the fact that I no longer need to eat the pizza to feel satisfied. It doesn’t take away your desire to have the fatty, sugary foods. If anything, you have no choice but to have the willpower to carry on... the alternative is misery.

If this is truly the EASY WAY like the average person seems to think wouldn't you hate to see HARD!!!

great response!

So in the last 5 months I have learned a few more things. In the beginning of March my hip injection only lasted a week so my Ortho said I would need to have a total hip replacement ASAP ( which was scheduled on May 29th, lol) He was willing to do the surgery because he knew I was still planning to go through WLS. The last two weeks were horrible - not allowed to take Aleeve since it is a blood thinner and Tylenol doesn't really work for me. I had my fair share of shots of Scotch just so I could fall asleep. When I woke up in the recovery room, the hip pain was gone. Yes I had muscle soreness (Anterior approach so they stretch the muscles in the front instead of cutting them in the back). Recovery was a breeze except that I gained some weight. Through all this I am still seeing my primary physician so my insurance will approve RNY. He went from being really leary and unhappy with my choice to total understanding about WLS. He has not had much experience with this and of course wanted to refer me to his hospital's bariatric surgeon. While I was very happy with them for my hip, I wanted a surgeon who only does bariatric and will be around for long term aftercare. My primary is now on board with that choice as well so that has been a wonderful improvement.

As for my Mom, I don't talk with her about bariatric surgery. There is no discussion with her after she makes up her mind. It is her way or your wrong. My Aunt (her sister) and I have a great relationship and she also knows the pains of trying to lose weight (which my mother never dealt with). After a long discussion on my reasoning and choices, my Aunt is all for it. I had Stage 4 osteoarthritis in my right hip which is now replaced but the post x-ray showed Stage 2 in my left hip. I can expect osteoarthritis in the rest of my joints as well. I explained that in order to preserve my new joint and to help the rest, I need to lose some serious weight fast. WLS will be the tool that will jump start my new lifestyle of healthy non-processed food and exercise.

What is really amazing to me is all of the support that I receive from work. Most are men who hear that I will be out on Medical sometime around September so I can have WLS done. The small amount of women that I work with have already had the surgery or understand why without me spelling out my reasons.

@SueSaBelle I believe you are going to do it and do it well. You are the right woman for the task and b you can't do anything but succeed. I don't know if you've got a friend at Chase Manhattan but you've got a friend in me.

I told no one but my kids and husband!!

And who else's business should it have been anyway? The tax assessor, the woman down the block who you can't stand, your clergyman who said interfearing with your body makes God mad?

When someone asks me why I didn't choose to lose weight the natural way, I tell them that unless they are living off the grid in the Ozarks and hunting and gathering their own food, don't talk to me about natural anything.