Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery, “it’s the easy way.”

So, the conversation went like this. Person who I’m sure I want in my life moving forward, “ ummm well, if that’s what you want to do. You know, I lost 50lbs the natural way but eating small portions and walking.”
Me: “ I’m glad you’re happy with your results. There’s no hard way or easy way, there’s only the permanent way and however means you choose to get there is the right way.”
The person I no longer like, “ well, sorry you don’t like what you see in the mirror that you want to mutualize your body to be “skinny” that’s really low self esteem”
WTF. by now I wanted to b***h slap someone but I took the high road and responded. “ you don’t have to understand or even agree with my decision but I ask that you respect it and me. “
End of conversation.
My rant goes: why the stigma of wls vs the natural way. I get so annoyed when I hear that statement. The perception that going the surgical route is not by any means the easy way to go.
End rant.

That person sounds like the dumbass that I work with. She told me yesterday how she thought it was the easy way and she didn't think it was right to starve your body to be skinny! I wanted to b***h slap her as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Nope you're right there, You get to choose your friends, relatives are a birthday gift you're stuck with for life!
My taste isn't too bad though, I met up and chose you for a friend💇💇

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

My taste isn't too bad though, I met up and chose you for a friend💇💇

Same here :D

SueSaBelle, I'm doing this for my knee (total knee replacement in October). We are too young to live like life is over. I want to be climbing waterfalls in a year!

I haven't told a single person (neither friends, nor family) and probably never will. I don't feel like being judged, and I don't want to feel like I need to justify my decision. I've been fat for 47 years (my mom put me on my first diet when I was 7) . I tried it the natural way...it has never ( permanently) worked for me.

People can just be jerks, especially if they're proud of their accomplishment (50# is quite good) and they're scared that you'll make their loss seem less significant if you do as much or better. Plus, losing a large amount of weight makes you special, you're in an exclusive club. Some people want to guard the door.
You wouldn't believe how many moms in my "Mothers of Twins" club totally dissed women who's children had been conceived by fertility drugs. As if it wasn't just as hard to carry them and then raise them as those that were "naturally" conceived. I don't know if they thought those babies should have a test tube tattooed on their foreheads just to distinguish them from "normal" children, but sheesh! Live and let live.

You are so right. And what a great comparison related to the twin moms!

HW: 360
SW: 343
CW: 322
GW: 180

RNY 4/16/18

And the easiest thing,about Memorial Day? I get to wish 🚩each and every one a happy smooth day. 😝🇺🇸

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cas_-bVYcS4&t=16s

Sorry that you had to be in that conversation. I think most people here have someone like that in their life. I found this video very funny and insightful into others motives for what they say. Hope it helps!

Neither in the family or physician,lottery did I get very many winners.
A (groan) witty thought for this 🇺🇸Memorial Day
Question :Do you know why women inherited the world🌏?
Answer: We lacked the balls to refuse it.

After surgery, I’ve routinely had the thoughts in my own head that I took the easy way out. I joined weight watchers afterwards to try and get additional resources and support for the journey and I feel so awkward when people congratulate me on my loss. I choose not to broadcast that I had surgery but I let them know ‘I’ve had help’. I still think I took the easy way out because I feel like I never FULLY committed to any diet program (mostly because they ended up not working - not because I didn’t try).

I see people that work their asses off (literally) and have the willpower to do it without surgery and I’m still kind of envious - because I know my willpower isn’t as strong. I remind myself at the end of the day - whether the ‘easy’ or ‘hard’ way, I did what I needed to do to get myself healthy based on my resources and knowing myself well enough. I needed my body to tell me what I was eating was not right (dumping) and I needed to see weight loss (results) before I got serious about nutrition and exercise.

On 1/27/2018 at 7:43 PM, vanelifejourney said:

“it’s the easy way.”

:D:lol:enough said?!

kathy

Still never an Easy Road but Oh So Worth It!😛

This is why I’be made a decision not to share my surgery with anyone other than family. I tried to tell a very close friend of 15 years and they literally CRAPPED all over WLS and said that “Getting 90% of your stomach cut out is totally going to shorten your life span and destroy your immune system and you obviously need that to live...plus you’re going to have all that extra skin that you’ll have to figure out how to hide or get cut-off is just ridiculous.” So yeah...I realized at that moment I was done sharing anything about my surgery. Obviously this person doesn’t know what they’re talking about and I had my sleeve surgery on 6/13; but it doesn’t change how hurtful those comments and perceptions are. I’m not talking to anyone about it.

I’m almost 2 mo gs and I took abig gulps of Water and it is aVery
Uncomfortable and hurt a bit.
Anyone else have this problem.
It’s been 2 days???

My ex sis in law and ex mom in law both had the surgery YEARS ago and I used to think it was the easy way out, I guess I didn't see all the struggles u go through as easily as having the surgery myself.. it really can mess with u, I'm Abt 2.5 weeks post op and I'm starting to wonder why I did it, I didn't mind how I looked before, but then I remember the 13 plus pills I was/am taking every day, the pain I'm in every day. And remember I want to be healthy.. I had to fight just for the surgery. It's been a roller coaster and I'm sure I have many more hills to battle.. if someone ever tells me it's the easy way out I'm popping them right in the eye