Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed Post-Op By Pass

I'm very frustrated. I'm 2 months post-op and have only lost 6lbs!!! I'm eating very little, walking a minimum of 8 miles a week, and not losing weight like I had hoped. I lost 17lbs on the 2 week pre-op diet, so I'm going to go back on the liquid diet hoping that will start the weight loss but I'm so disappointed with the results of this surgery I could cry. I know that any weight loss is good, but I was hoping for more than a 1% loss per month!!! I don't understand why I'm not losing more. It isn't the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" phenom either. I look no different. You'd never know I even had the surgery except that I'm taking loads of Vitamins and have scars on my abdomen. I'm beginning to worry that instead of slowing from here, I'll actually gain it back before my honeymoon year is up. Anyone else have this problem?

Between 50 and 70g of Protein a day per Dr’s orders. I shoot for under 1000 cal a day. Sometimes I am a little over, sometimes a bit under. I expected 5% a month, so I should be down 26 lbs over 2 months, not 6! I’m wondering if it is because I wasn’t a big unhealthy eater prior to the surgery and have never been big on junk food, so I am eating basically the same healthy foods only a little less in quantity than before. Thought I was fat because I was eating too much, but obviously not. Now wondering if I have a metabolic issue. So heartbroken right now.

Have you meet with your surgeon or NUT recently ?

Only 6lbs in 2 months is very suspicious...

What are your bowel movements like?

How many oz of Water are you drinking?

What are your Protein sources?

How many carbs per day?

Do you use a food diary like myfitness pal?

How often do you weigh yourself?

Are you measuring your inches?

Are you just stalled instead of stopped ?

Edited by Tealael

Were you taken off a diuretic medication after surgery?

Was not taken off diuretics after surgery and I do use MyFitness App to track food calories. My Protein source is Pure Protein, Premier Protein, I have Isopure high max Protein Powder, unflavored protein powder, isopure zero drinks, and chicken, turkey, fish, low fat ham, eggs, etc. I drink Water pretty much all day. Rarely carbs. Maybe 1 slice of bread in a week...small quantity of rice once.

My plan is to see nutritionist at beginning of next month at support group meeting....

I’d certainly like to know the outcome. Have you ever had any metabolic or endocrine lab work done?

Not that I’m aware of. I have my thyroid checked every now and again because I’m on levothyroxine and am hypothyroid.

Not that I’m aware of. I have my thyroid checked every now and again because I’m on levothyroxine and am hypothyroid.

Thyroid can play a big part in your weight and metabolism. You could have some other issues going on. Do you exercise? Walking is wonderful, but anything else besides that. If you have a low metabolism, you should still be able to lose weight just need to exercise so much more. Basically burn more calories than are coming in. Also try foods that naturally help with bowel movements and avoid ones that can induce a slow metabolism. If I were you, i would go to your doctor and get a referral to endocrinologist. They can take a look at everything and do a full workout to find out if you have underlying issues with your metabolism. Hope everything goes well. Good luck and for the mean time keep trying and don’t give up. Remember the goal is to lose weight, and you are losing.

Thanks everyone.

I did the liquid diet pre-op diet yesterday, walked 4 miles, and as of this morning I have lost a half a pound (could be legit, could be Water weight). I think this is just going to be harder and slower for me than others and than I was hoping it would be.

I’ll talk to my Dr. at my next check up and will do whatever she says. I’m hopeful the nutritionist will give me a menu to follow because I seem to do better when I follow a rigid restricted menu, clearly.

Mostly, I needed to vent my frustration to people who would understand and sympathize. Thank you for all for reading, lending some thoughtful advice, and having my back. I was really hoping for a bigger loss by now and just haven’t had the same experience as other testimonials I read. I’m losing, even if not quick. The disappointment overcomes me sometimes...

*I am weighing at home. It is linked to my Dr’s record via an app. Batteries are good.

**I eat 1 or 2 dried prunes occasionally to keep regular because my bowel movements are few and far in between.

***I have a mobility-limiting degenerative spinal birth defect so many physical exercises are off limits. It is a contributing factor to my weight gain over the years and limits my exercise options. I do as much as I can within my limits. In addition to walking, I have a Wii and do the bike ride, marches, yoga, and balance related games. My job involves walking all day, across a large campus, and going up and down flights of stairs all day. I only wear my Apple watch when i walk at the park. The miles I list here are above and beyond the usual 1-2 miles I do in the course of a day at work. I’m not sedintary but I don’t do Zumba, ya know?

****I don’t measure inches, but clothes all fit exactly the same and nothing is looser.

841591F6-0D6F-43AE-9910-2B0D2C45A84A.png

D2FD2898-4077-497D-A1D1-0B608C7CCC6A.png

60FD4747-015F-43C1-9DB0-82741C959864.png

that is very strange.

not to freak you out... but there is about 2% of the population that this surgery does not work for. it's genetic, has nothing to do with anything you can control (diet, exercise).

and it would be seriously heartbreaking if this were the case with you... as it appears it could be. :(

I’m curious when the last time your thyroid levels were checked and not just a tsh. Request at least a free T3 and a free T4, a reverse T3 is nice if you’ve never had one. It seems like with your activity and diet you should be losing more. If possible in your area, could you get a test done that measures your basal or resting metabolic rate?

I wasn’t aware, as was posted above, that there was a very small number of ppl that the surgery was ineffective on.

Thanks everyone.
I did the liquid diet pre-op diet yesterday, walked 4 miles, and as of this morning I have lost a half a pound (could be legit, could be Water weight). I think this is just going to be harder and slower for me than others and than I was hoping it would be.
I’ll talk to my Dr. at my next check up and will do whatever she says. I’m hopeful the nutritionist will give me a menu to follow because I seem to do better when I follow a rigid restricted menu, clearly.
Mostly, I needed to vent my frustration to people who would understand and sympathize. Thank you for all for reading, lending some thoughtful advice, and having my back. I was really hoping for a bigger loss by now and just haven’t had the same experience as other testimonials I read. I’m losing, even if not quick. The disappointment overcomes me sometimes...
*I am weighing at home. It is linked to my Dr’s record via an app. Batteries are good.
**I eat 1 or 2 dried prunes occasionally to keep regular because my bowel movements are few and far in between.
***I have a mobility-limiting degenerative spinal birth defect so many physical exercises are off limits. It is a contributing factor to my weight gain over the years and limits my exercise options. I do as much as I can within my limits. In addition to walking, I have a Wii and do the bike ride, marches, yoga, and balance related games. My job involves walking all day, across a large campus, and going up and down flights of stairs all day. I only wear my Apple watch when i walk at the park. The miles I list here are above and beyond the usual 1-2 miles I do in the course of a day at work. I’m not sedintary but I don’t do Zumba, ya know?
****I don’t measure inches, but clothes all fit exactly the same and nothing is looser.
841591F6-0D6F-43AE-9910-2B0D2C45A84A.thumb.png.0a8b1f0852a5e3068d2faddba409e99f.png
D2FD2898-4077-497D-A1D1-0B608C7CCC6A.thumb.png.62e93066c0a29db94ca489fab7eb7f7b.png
60FD4747-015F-43C1-9DB0-82741C959864.thumb.png.98f1f48adca6e334cc48a3daa7dadd3b.png

It takes me a lot of effort to lose weight. I am hoping post op surgery I will lose more effectively. However I am now concerned about the possibility of it not work. I would say keep the routine you know what you are working towards a healthier you.