Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight because I deprived myself?

Hi all. I'm Shay. I was operated on Nov 20th. I was 288 pre op, the day of surgery I was 280. Take into consideration I was only given TWO DAYS to begin my liquid diet, it was death. Prior to that I was just told to lose 10 lbs but never was told how crazy this liquid diet would be. Anywho, now that I'm almost at 2 months I've been eating solids, no more then 4 Oz. I can't eat all of my 6oz that I am permitted to eat now. I have gone down - 43 lbs. I'm down to 245 but I haven't gone down since I had my NUT appt on Dec 29th. I eat healthy or better choices of food but I snack horrible! I have 2 kids so they ask for cheetos, popcorn, and pita chips which means I have that at home. Obviously I can't have a cup or the entire bag but I do munch here and there. In addition, I have craved a sandwich with ham n cheese. To satisfy that craving I have eaten a roll up of honey turkey and munster cheese/2% cheese by itself or with 2saltine crackers. I still don't eat bread or rice.

I'm wondering if it's bcuz it's the time of month that I haven't lost weight. Or if it's bcuz I'm eating solids now and eating those horrible Snacks. Or I will no longer lose weight.

Has anyone gone thru this in their 2nd post op month? Like it's been hard bcuz it was 3weeks without eating- liquid diet, then puree and soft foods, and now solids. Depriving myself from food seemed to be bad too me. It's like starting a diet with either fasting, liquid diet, or herbal life diet, etc., the moment you ate you would gain the weight back bcuz you was depriving yourself from foods. I feel that I was deprived from what I liked and now that I can eat a lil of solids I'm over doing it. The doc said you would feel less hungry but I still feel hungry. It's all mentally and blah blah but my stomach does growl and that's when I munch. I do have my 3 meals and try my best to intake my 70 grams of Protein and my Water. Yet, it's hard to drink all this water bcuz there's not enough time in a day! Lol.

Has anyone gone thru this? Please help with any advise or your experiences too. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

We can go through stalls occasionally but you I think you should evaluate your eating habits. I would recommend you journal every bite of food you eat. If you eat 4 cheetohs, 5 pita chips and a couple handfuls of popcorn then write it down. You maybe surprised at how many extra calories you are eating. If these Snacks are too much temptation then find different snacks for your kids that don’t tempt you. I think the hardest part of our weight loss journey is the head game. We need to redefine our relationship with food and for some of us it may mean counseling to help us deal with our food issues. Best wishes for your success.

We can go through stalls occasionally but you I think you should evaluate your eating habits. I would recommend you journal every bite of food you eat. If you eat 4 cheetohs, 5 pita chips and a couple handfuls of popcorn then write it down. You maybe surprised at how many extra calories you are eating. If these Snacks are too much temptation then find different Snacks for your kids that don’t tempt you. I think the hardest part of our weight loss journey is the head game. We need to redefine our relationship with food and for some of us it may mean counseling to help us deal with our food issues. Best wishes for your success.

Thank you. I hope bcuz I'm getting better at eating and keeping my food down its not a close case of me losing weight. I know some people still have issues eating and they're at their 2nd or 3rd year. I'm up to my 2month and I can eat without a problem. And yes, after these bags are done, no more of these snacks. I even bought "light" to make it fair. Lol! Thanks again

Snacks are so sneaky. They can add hundreds of calories in a blink that you didn't even realize you ate.

food journaling is a really good idea. It's a pain in the butt....but it keeps you honest with yourself, and helps point out the trouble spots.

One thing we should all keep in mind about our kids...is that they share our genetics. Working on healthier eating habits could be a family project. (Not saying kids shouldn't get some treats along the way....but the basic everyday diet really doesn't have to include so much overly processed salty sugary stuff).

My daughter was a skinny kid and teen...just like I was. Then, predictably, hit the same pattern I did in her early 20's of gaining weight.

She's been my biggest advocate for weight loss surgery. We email each other recipes, new products we've found that we like, and try to cook really healthy when she visits, go on walks, swim at the Y, and support each other's fitness goals.

It's making a difference for her. Whereas my weight got really out of control by my late 20's....hers is improving and her eating habits are a lot better. We're always going to struggle with our weight....one of my bigger regrets is not working on changing our home diet when she was younger.

Snacking on processed foods and eating fast food is one of the worst things that you can do while you are actively losing at the beginning. I know it is hard, but that handful of Cheetos is going to turn into several handfuls in the future if you don't try to put an end to it now. It takes just 14 Doritos to equal 140 calories. That is nothing. Saltine crackers are also very bad for you. Try to go without for the time being. When you are a little further along, do searches for Protein pancakes. I will use those for sandwiches. I also use Flatout wraps on occasion.

Anyway, the other posters advice about logging your food is sound. I use MyFitnessPal. It is tedious as first, but gets super easy in the long run as you already have your foods added. Try to purchase healthy Snacks for the kids as well so that you will be less inclined to snack on bad things.

Success or failure begins in your head. This surgery is going to help with the overeating, but that is it. It isn't going to stop you from eating junk food or other calorie dense foods. I once took a nutrition course that stated that if you list your main munches (snacking on salty and/or sweet treats, eating fast food, drinking soda etc.), each one of these can contribute between 20-30 pounds to your weight. I agree with that, and think that the weight gain due to the first two items can be lots more than the 30 pound limit.

It is not too late to turn things around. You've got this, and you know what you must do to be successful. We are here for you. Just know that you deserve better than being overweight or obese. Society at large wants you to fail. Don't let it win!

Good luck to you!

Stalls are a natural part of this progress so I don't believe you are in a place where you have ended your weight loss, you just have to get your snacking in check and move forward. I agree with previous posters in regards to tracking your food. Everything that goes in my mouth goes into my Baritastic App, everything. Also find Snacks that are Protein based and when you feel like having a snack eat those. I do have nuts, cheese and beef Jerky in my house so when I feel like having a snack I go that route. I do try and make better choices for my kids but some things are not worth the fight :lol: So I will give them the Goldfish Crackers and I'll have a string cheese.

I've done better this week with snacking. I strongly believe it's that menstrual cycle that kicked in. Cuz I'm no longer wanting it and drinking my Protein Shakes, Water n being conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth. Thanks everyone for your support. Taking the time to read my long blog n replying. Thanks again!