Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinions to stop losing weight

Has anyone had people telling them not to lose any more weight? I don't mind being told that if I'm getting way too skinny.. But I'm not even at suggested goal weight yet much less anything on a chart. I'm 5'4 and 155 pounds. It normally wouldn't bother me, but it seems like my whole family is saying that criticising what I eat. I don't mind concern, but this just seems a little overboard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I've seen a number of posts on this subject, and it often seems that family and friends are reacting to the change rather than making a legitimate assessment. Another factor may be that loose skin or some other changes make you look different/older/whatever. But a lot of people say these things become less drastic over time, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Otherwise, you have to take into account what your doctor recommends and, ultimately and finally, the weight at which YOU feel your best.

A few people think I'm exercising too vigorously and losing MASS too fast. 9kg (20 pounds) in the last five weeks scares a few people.

They are pleased by both weight-loss and exercise but worry that I am losing dangerously quickly.

They might just be getting use to the new you.

1 hour ago, BigAussieGirl said:

They might just be getting used to the new you.

No, there are a few too many naysayers among them.

I received a few comments like that. As I lost weight I replaced most of my clothes. But I didn't replace my jackets and coats. Well the weight I lost was not only around my waist but also my shoulders became smaller. So when people looked at me they saw the disney character Dopey, because the sleeves went way below my fingertips. Anyways I replaced my coats and jackets and the comments disappeared.

People tell me that ALL the time... They always say "Ok now, don't lose anymore" or "what are you trying to do now ".... I always say "I'M GOOD, I GOT THIS" In other words LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE!!!!! If I lose more weight, it gives me a little cushion incase I gain a few pounds..

9mo post op
Hw: 240
Sw: 232
Gw: 160
Cw: 146
5'5

People tell me that ALL the time... They always say "Ok now, don't lose anymore" or "what are you trying to do now ".... I always say "I'M GOOD, I GOT THIS" In other words LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE!!!!! If I lose more weight, it gives me a little cushion incase I gain a few pounds..

9mo post op
Hw: 240
Sw: 232
Gw: 160
Cw: 146
5'5

Your stats are almost identical to mine. I am 5’6 and 239. I am hoping to have the sleeve in April and my GW is 150 (ideally 160 but I want to leave a rebound cushion).

Your stats are almost identical to mine. I am 5’6 and 239. I am hoping to have the sleeve in April and my GW is 150 (ideally 160 but I want to leave a rebound cushion).

I never thought I would get down to this size. You can do it!!!!!!

14 hours ago, BrandiceLeSha said:

Has anyone had people telling them not to lose any more weight? I don't mind being told that if I'm getting way too skinny.. But I'm not even at suggested goal weight yet much less anything on a chart. I'm 5'4 and 155 pounds. It normally wouldn't bother me, but it seems like my whole family is saying that criticising what I eat. I don't mind concern, but this just seems a little overboard.

It's an adjustment for them. I understand that its bothers you to hear "don't lose more weight" It may be out of concern or it may be a compliment. Reassure them you are healthy. It will pass with time once you are maintaining.

It's hard enough for us to wrap our heads around the weight loss. Some of the comments kind of mess with your head a bit.

I went to a check up at my surgeon's office. The nurse comment "if you gained 10 more I would look less skeletal"

I was at goal 140 and a healthy BMI.

Mine too. I’m on day 6 post op .

Thanks for y'alls replies. They make me feel better. The comments normally don't bother me, but I guess the excessive amounts did with it being the holidays and being around so many people. And to give them credit, some haven't saw me or saw me much since my surgery in June. So, it probably was a shock to see me 80 pounds lighter. Lol, plus I've developed a shyness the last few months. I used to like attention, but now I don't like being the center of attention. And everyone has questions or comments since my weight loss is from past six months. But I know time will help that too.

FINALLY!! I’ve found someone in my same surgery time frame.lol. I’m hoping for late April early May. I’m also 5”6 and I’m 243 BMI 39.

I'm almost a year post op and I've been hearing "you can stop losing weight now" and "don't lose anymore weight or you will be to skinny" a lot lately. The crazy thing is I've only lost about 2 pounds since October (I was in a long stall) but people still tell me to stop losing weight even though Im technically not so I think it's just a reaction some people have. I've just been telling people I'm 10 pounds from goal so I want to get there before I stop and that usually shuts them up.