Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinions to stop losing weight

You do you. We were judged when we we were obese and we get judged when we lose the weight. As long as your doctor says your bloods indicate you are healthy, continue to lose that weight. I am midway down to my goal/desired weight but I have said to myself that if I am healthy and continue to lose weight past my goal weight, I will take that happily. Well done on your weight loss by the way! It takes a big commitment in this journey to be as successful as you have been.

Thanks! And yes you're right, people judge regardless

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

You do you. We were judged when we we were obese and we get judged when we lose the weight. As long as your doctor says your bloods indicate you are healthy, continue to lose that weight. I am midway down to my goal/desired weight but I have said to myself that if I am healthy and continue to lose weight past my goal weight, I will take that happily. Well done on your weight loss by the way! It takes a big commitment in this journey to be as successful as you have been.

Thanks! And yes you're right, people judge regardless

This kills me. In 2006 I lost 115 pounds and people told me I was too skinny. I was a size 14, 144 pounds at 5'5. I let it get to my head and gained all my weight back and then some.
This time, my doctors are doing it. ALL of them. They are telling me my goal weight is crazy, that at the least I could be in the 150s. I have no idea why they are discouraging me and telling me things that are obviously against basic standards set by their own medical community (BMI). I've got a very small frame (wedding ring is a size 4) and I know what I look like at 150. Like I said, I was still a size 14. This pisses me off so much I don't even want to go to any appointments anymore. When someone says this kind of thing to me I want to become a teenager again and scream LEAVE ME THE EFF ALONE!!
So yeah...feel you! [emoji38]

I understand that. I lost weight years back before my back got so bad. But I began eating more and more because of people's comments. I don't blame them for my weight gain, but I don't intend to let them derail me this time

Several people at my job has expressed concern...lol. I smile. Nice being on the other side of concern about my weight.

“You look so frail! How are you still standing?” OMG Thank you!!

Highest Wt: 265 lbs
Surgery Wt: 250 lbs
Goal Wt: 175lbs
Current Wt: 165 lbs

Lol, I guess that's all we can do

Has anyone had people telling them not to lose any more weight? I don't mind being told that if I'm getting way too skinny.. But I'm not even at suggested goal weight yet much less anything on a chart. I'm 5'4 and 155 pounds. It normally wouldn't bother me, but it seems like my whole family is saying that criticising what I eat. I don't mind concern, but this just seems a little overboard.

Yes i get told this daily. I ignore them and keep going to the gym. I secretly just give them the finger in my head and keep moving. I don't see how someone who isn't a medical professional or dietician can think they're a weight expert so their opinion doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not even at my goal yet. I think they just see you looking so different or your dress size is so dramatically different that they need to adjust their perception of you in their mind.

In other words they used to view me as fat, now that i'm a normal sized person they seem to think i'm to thin or have an eating disorder when i don't.

1 hour ago, xoxococojay said:

Yes i get told this daily. I ignore them and keep going to the gym.

I've got around 10-12 close friends, all retired like me (who have all known me since 1985/1990) and who have seen me live through slight overweight all the way to morbid obesity.

Two of them know I have had the surgery.

About seven or eight of them tell me to my face AND on near daily Facebook posts that I am losing too much weight and that my two to five hours daily exercise 27 days per month will kill me.

They implore me to stop.

I'm not sure what it is they worry about:

(1) that I am now no more obese than two or three of them?

(2) that I exist on about a third the food in public that I used to?

(3) that I exist on Water or only one alcoholic drink per evening when I am out with them?

(4) that my priorities have shifted since six months ago?

(5) that their wives tell them how much better I am looking?

(6) that a few of them are dealing with health issues other than obesity and I am winding my obesity and medications back?

I dunno!

On 12/28/2017 at 12:30 PM, fruitandveggies said:

This kills me. In 2006 I lost 115 pounds and people told me I was too skinny. I was a size 14, 144 pounds at 5'5. I let it get to my head and gained all my weight back and then some.

This time, my doctors are doing it. ALL of them. They are telling me my goal weight is crazy, that at the least I could be in the 150s. I have no idea why they are discouraging me and telling me things that are obviously against basic standards set by their own medical community (BMI). I've got a very small frame (wedding ring is a size 4) and I know what I look like at 150. Like I said, I was still a size 14. This pisses me off so much I don't even want to go to any appointments anymore. When someone says this kind of thing to me I want to become a teenager again and scream LEAVE ME THE EFF ALONE!!

So yeah...feel you! :lol:

Yes to this -- 5'5" is 114 to 144 pounds in healthy range. My PCP set my target weight to 150 -- that's low end overweight. WHY????

Yes to this -- 5'5" is 114 to 144 pounds in healthy range. My PCP set my target weight to 150 -- that's low end overweight. WHY????

I am in the minority here but at 5’6, I don’t want to go below 150...and would like to maintain around 160.

35 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

I honestly don't know. I overheard a nurse telling one of my doctors she thought my goal weight was crazy. If it's so crazy then why are you using the BMI chart for anything? What imaginary standard are they getting this from? The old height/weight charts were even lower and BMI is the only improvement we've made for weight standards. I'm basically just saying screw you (in my head) to anyone telling me my goal is wrong. Unless I get some sound, scientifically backed reason, my goal is my goal.

24 minutes ago, TexasMommy80 said:

I am in the minority here but at 5’6, I don’t want to go below 150...and would like to maintain around 160.

I certainly don't think you're the minority! That's the thing about it, you set your goal to whatever YOU want it to be. That's the whole jist of this thread, people feeling like they have the right to tell us what our weight should be. We know our bodies and we don't need anyone telling us what is healthy. We knew we were unhealthy at an obese weight, we will know when we are healthy at a lower weight, too.

Sorry for the rant, this topic really lights a fire under my ass!

You are very right...well said!!

1 hour ago, TexasMommy80 said:

It's where ever you feel healthy at. The weight fluctuates up and down a bit after goal.

50 minutes ago, fruitandveggies said:

BMI is the only improvement we've made for weight standards.

A very doubtful so-called 'improvement'.

It does a good job for average people but it crucifies certain statistical 'outliers'.

All but one of the Australian men's and women's weightlifters at the Rio Olympics were outside the 18-25 BMI healthy range ... some by a long way.

All but two of the synchronised swimmers from Australia were below a healthy 18.

Go figure.

My own BMI is still in the mid 40s but I can swim 3000m faster than all my friends and have no breathlessness two minutes after my daily swim. But, because of my 5h1tty knees, I cannot climb a dozen stairs in under 90 seconds.

There's measures and yardsticks but they are just indicators suited mainly to people on the middle of bell-curves.

39 minutes ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

A very doubtful so-called 'improvement'.

It does a good job for average people but it crucifies certain statistical 'outliers'.

All but one of the Australian men's and women's weightlifters at the Rio Olympics were outside the 18-25 BMI healthy range ... some by a long way.

All but two of the synchronised swimmers from Australia were below a healthy 18.

Go figure.

My own BMI is still in the mid 40s but I can swim 3000m faster than all my friends and have no breathlessness two minutes after my daily swim. But, because of my 5h1tty knees, I cannot climb a dozen stairs in under 90 seconds.

There's measures and yardsticks but they are just indicators suited mainly to people on the middle of bell-curves.

Totally agree, I should have used quotes when I said "improvement." Even at 300 pounds I was a kickboxing machine, but BMI didn't care about that. I'm not very muscular (even when working out) so I fit within the BMI as is, but it's obviously not good enough to be used as a standard for everyone. Not really sure if there can be a weight standard for all people, it should be based on each individual, judged on other health factors.

I often remind myself that I have always weighed more than what I appear because of playing soccer for so long. Here is a photo of me at 190 pounds. I would happy just to be back here. BMI is terrible for self esteem!

IMG_9644.JPG.6bc5623ef4b95b76f1c9d9818bdc49a6.JPG

I often remind myself that I have always weighed more than what I appear because of playing soccer for so long. Here is a photo of me at 190 pounds. I would happy just to be back here. BMI is terrible for self esteem!
IMG_9644.JPG.6bc5623ef4b95b76f1c9d9818bdc49a6.JPG

Yes, I discovered the bmi letdown this week. I've never weighed in the 140s even in my teenage years. I step on the scale.. it was 147.2. I'm like [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]. Then, I look at my breakdown. I figured my bmi must be great now.... nope, it's still showing over healthy range with it being 26.