Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went for 1st fill today !!!!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I know it's been a long time since I posted. But i'm mad. I went for my 1st fill today and it did not go well. It seems that my port has flipped somewhow. So I wasn't able to get a fill. I have to go back in a week or so to have revision done. But, it's going to take longer than that since i have to wait on referarral from insurance. I am just so discussted (excuse spelling). It just seems that if it weren't for bad luck i wouldn't have any. I'm just destined to be fat for the rest of my life. Ok that's one story, I went back to work last week, things were fine, but now i'm off another week already my back went out on me, my doctor says it's a pulled muscle. I really don't think so. I have been sleeping sitting up in my recliner chair for 3 nights now. I can't lye down it I do I get excrutiating pain in my back when i try to get up, and then my back starts throbbing. I am not having a good year so far. And to top this off on jan 1st my brother and I took my sister and her 3 kids back to minnesota and on the way back we were caught in a bad ice and snow storm and my brother's van broke down on the interstate, neither of us had a cell phone. we managed to get the van to a gas station which was open 24hrs. and luckly i had my AAA card we were 77 miles outside of whenre my brother lived in Millwaukee, Wis so they towed us there. I then had to take a greyhound bus back to chicago the next morning, and the ticket agent had a bad attitude. Ok i've blown off enough steam. So as you can see i'm not having a great year so far. But I do that God for another day.

I hope all is well with everyone else.

Sincerely,

Fran

banded12- 02 - 04 Dr. Horgan University of Illinois, Chicago

Fran, I've heard other people that had flipped ports, and the doctors can sometimes massage the port back in place. Did they try that, at least flip it around to get you a fill before you can afford (through insurance) the revision?

I've had back surgery, I know that pain. Try laying flat on the floor with your legs up on a table... pull up really close to the table so your butt is touching it (your legs will be in an "L" with calves resting on the table top.) This forces the lower back into the ground. Every time my back goes out, I watch TV this way with a heating pad under my back, and it's the only thing I get relief from.

Oh, Fran! I am so sorry to hear of this! Did the dr say what may have caused your port to flip? I hope all goes well for you from here on out!!!

Fran,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck so to speak. I know the feeling when absolutely nothing seems to go your way. Keep your head up though and look straight ahead, things are bound to start getting better!

Oh Fran, I'm so sorry to hear your having a rough time. If it'll make you feel any better, I went for a support meeting tonight and spoke to my Doctor, I was teasing him about being stingy with that full 1cc, because of my lack of restriction. He said he was going to call me that he didn't think things went exactly right with my fill on Monday and wants me to come in and make sure he didn't hit the side of the port instead of the port!

I reminded him of how I almost passed out and did not do well with the fill, he said he was gonna give me a valium. He thought he had put in .75, boy this is going to be fun. First he's going to try to withdraw any that may be in there, then fill with 1 cc.

I have rsl, restless leg syndrom, which is triggered by sodium, the night after the "fill" I had a restless night. Could it be the saline went into my system?

Well I'm open until next Wed.

Hi All well i can empathise here cos my port has flipped sideways too... it took them 30 mins of massaging and prodding and pushing my tummy to get it to flip back so they could get a needle into it.. luckily all my fills were scheduled to be done with the radiographer wth barium as my doctor wont "guess fill" and so with one holding my tummy in a certain position the fill was quite easy in the end.. It was my first fill so it was a bit scarey as i was also in france so the language barrier was difficult too..( But im know the word F*** must be universal as the nurse laughed when i said it ) i said it when i saw the port image on the screen as i knew sraight away it wasnt in the right direction. Fran what position is your port in is it completely flipped 180 degrees? mine has done a 90 degree flip.

i saw my surgeon after the fill and he said it wasnt a problem as he will be able to do any more fills i need which is fine by me as thats what i had intended anyway...plus the real upside of going to get them done in france rather than the uk was the cost.. 84 euro and thats with radiography. i think it worked out about 90 english pounds including my air fare for the entire cost of my fill...

The restiction i feel at the moment is really good too so i hope it lasts..

love tracey

Actually the Dr. didn't say how much it flippled just that it did. They tried pushing mashing my stomach still no luck and it was under flouroscopy also, still no luck. He doesn't know how it flipped either just says it's a complication that happens one in 700 so you go figure lucky me. I had been feeling a pulling sensation in my stomach port side but thought nothing of it, thought it was maybe normal. Oh well.

Fran

Rude!!! Heaven help us, you are anything BUT rude! Please let us know how your revision goes. I will keep you in my prayers.

ladiebird, will you not have to have a revision?

Pat, what the heck??? How is that you nearly passed out? Details, please!!!

Hey ladiebird,

Im loking to get a fill in europe. Can you tell me where it was u got yours. Are doctors reluctant to do a fill if thay have not fitted the band.

hiya blacknamaste

i got my fill in Lyon france so if thats somewhere you are considering just say and i will pm you with the surgeons details. i am not sure if he takes patients from other doctors but i think he may well do

love tracey

hiya blossom

my surgeon says that as long as i can have fills that there is no need for a revision. This is because mine has only gone sideways and not done a complete flip. I think that because it just needs to be massaged back to the right place for the fill it shouldnt be a problem. he did say that another doctor might not want to fill me as it would not be a straightforward procedure but im fine with that as i had planned to have all my fills done by him anyway.. He also said that i would find it near impossible to have it filled with out it being with flouro because of how it was positioned. On a lighter note he also said that as i lose weight it may even flip back so i will keep you posted. I got to keep the xray pics they took from the flouro and its kinda neat to be able to see my band and port and have a look at them from time to time to remind myself what a brilliant tool i have inside me

love tracey