Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JulieNYC's Lateral Thigh Lift and Brachioplasty

Dad likes the silicone sheets too, for scars that look like they're going to develop raised. He's always looked at mine around 6 weeks and said not to bother. Where do you get the sheets? The regular drugstore? I might do that this time if so....

Dad likes the silicone sheets too, for scars that look like they're going to develop raised. He's always looked at mine around 6 weeks and said not to bother. Where do you get the sheets? The regular drugstore? I might do that this time if so....

You can get them at a regular drugstore, but the selection is limited. I ordered the Biodermis 11" x 16" Scar Reduction Standard Silicone Sheet (Self-Adhesive) from www.makemeheal.com. Considering the cost, I decided on the 11" x 16" sheet since I can cut it and get several smaller sheets out of it. My port incision has a raised scar on it that is still very red after almost a full year. I want my arms to heal better than that. If and/or when I get a Tummy Tuck, I'll ask for a revision on that port scar.

You can get them at a regular drugstore, but the selection is limited. I ordered the Biodermis 11" x 16" Scar Reduction Standard Silicone Sheet (Self-Adhesive) from www.makemeheal.com. Considering the cost, I decided on the 11" x 16" sheet since I can cut it and get several smaller sheets out of it. My port incision has a raised scar on it that is still very red after almost a full year. I want my arms to heal better than that. If and/or when I get a Tummy Tuck, I'll ask for a revision on that port scar.

enterprise-you might not have to get a port scar revision, they took my scar when they took off the skin in my LBL, I was looking the other day when I had my compression garment off for a dressing change around the drain tubes and noticed that it was gone. It depends where your Doctor put your port, mine was right and just a smidge higher than my belly button. Hopefully they'll remove it!

Julie - What does your father have to say about massaging the scar line? My doc wasn't too big on the creams either and also said not to bother with expensive products like mederma but he did want me to massage a vitamin-E lotion on my scar line twice a day for quite a long time. He says the massaging motion is more important than the lotion and that if done regularly it can help prevent the buildup of scar tissue both on the surface and down deeper. I'm not doing it near as often as he has asked me to now that I am over 2 months out but I definitely think it has helped. My scar line looks and feels no different than if I had just got a surface cut.

Diane,

Yep, Dad's big on massage for the scar line, once it's healed over (maybe 3 weeks). Sounds like our doc are on the same page....

OK Julie, but how long are you suppose to be massaging it for? Mine wants me to be doing it twice a day massaging in small circles for one minute then moving along the scar line and doing another minute, etc, etc. It takes me at least 10 minutes to complete and is killing my already sore shoulder. And worse yet at 3 months out he is still wanting me to keep up with the massages. UHGHH!!! I have to admit I haven't been though it has been more like 2-3 times a week for the last month. Please tell me you haven't had to do it for this long.

I was told 2 minutes total for the TT scar, twice a day, massaging in Nivea cream. I try to do that, plus I go to the masseur once a week and let him do it for like an hour.

That makes me feel a bit better. I know the whole massage thing is helping keep the scar tissue from building but I just haven't been able to keep it up as much as I thought I should be doing it. I think I could handle 4 min a day, and I have been getting in for an hour massage once a month, wish I could do it once a week but its all I can afford right now.