Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Kaiser patients

1 hour ago, MG1776 said:

@CaliforniaCandyKaiser did not require a sleep study. I made the surgery and the entire process a priority and took the first available for whatever the next step was so that I could get through the process as quickly as possible. This may work for some, and not for others. I was ready for the change and was taking the steps needed to change my habits and get approved. It's been a blessing. This coming Monday will mark 8 weeks since surgery, and I'm happy to say that today I've lost 42 lbs since 10/16/17.

That's fantastic! You should be very happy with that. I know I would.

Have you had any problems along the way? Remind me: What surgery did you have?

Thanks,

candy

[mention=329567]CaliforniaCandy[/mention]I had VSG in Kaiser South Sacramento 10/16. My initial consultation was 08/11 and had all my appointments crammed in as quickly as I could. You will have nutrition classes, support group meetings, surgeon consult, psych appt, etc. Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
Did you have to lose weight before your surgery? A preop diet?

@CaliforniaCandy I had VSG done. The only problem I had was right after surgery I would get dizzy and light headed after standing up which they attributed to some bleeding going on. Once that stopped, I was up moving around and feeling good. Since then, I've had no issues. My energy is far beyond pre-surgery and now I feel great. The scale is dropping and I'm buying clothes in smaller sizes. I can get my fluids in without a problem and Protein as well. Doing one shake a day for a snack, yogurt for Breakfast, and then a fish or chicken for lunch and dinner to make sure I hit my protein goals. When eating, I have enough room for about 3 oz of protein and maybe a couple bites of vegetables.

I had to lose only 4 lbs preop since I had lost about 35lbs prior on my own, so I didn't have a true preop diet, with the exception of full liquids two days prior, and Clear Liquids the day before.

I have started with Kaiser in South San Francisco. I had my orientation and appointment with surgeon on Dec 15. I’m in Santa Rosa so they try to get you as many appointments in on day as possible. They will sign you up for a nutrition and lifestyle class after orientation then a psychological app and then you meet or talk with your dietitian on the phone. They have 3 great wonderful surgeons and the staff you meet with is amazing. They really want you to succeed. My surgeon said I had to lose 15 pounds then to call him and we will set a surgery date. Once you go through orientation you will get a book that is everything. Don’t be scared of the. Lifestyle “diet” I was considering backing out because of it but once I tried it I was like this easy and I can definitely do it. Everyone’s journey is so different from everything I’ve read and seen. You might have to do a sleep study and ekg depending on your weight and health conditions (if any). Ultimately it is up to your surgeon. My best advice is to ride the waves as it happens. I am someone who likes to know every in and out of every process but this one is always changing so just relax and be excited for what’s to come

@SkyJade

Thank you for all the information. It really helps hearing what everyone's going through.

I'm going to be in South City, too. My orientation is 1/9/18 and I have a phone consult with John Phillips, NP, which I assume is a nurse practitioner, on 1/16/18.

Do you remember the names of the surgeons in South City? Just curious.

Thanks,

Candy

@SkyJade

Thank you for all the information. It really helps hearing what everyone's going through.

I'm going to be in South City, too. My orientation is 1/9/18 and I have a phone consult with John Phillips, NP, which I assume is a nurse practitioner, on 1/16/18.

Do you remember the names of the surgeons in South City? Just curious.

Thanks,

Candy

John Phillip goes by Kirk and I believe he is the sweetest man on the planet. You will be talking to him most about everything.
The surgeons are Robert Li, David Le, and Fawzi Khayat. I have David Le and he is so nice but also very awkward and shy.
But I have a little bit of awesome news I have been following the new lifestyle for only three days and and I have already lost 7 pounds in Water weight. Following the eating plan will make you lose it quick!
And I saw that your Kaiser was in Petaluma and I remember them mentioning you have to go to a support group so maybe I will see you around!

@skykade

When you went to orientation, were you weighed? I've been sick for 2 weeks with that awful cold that's been going and have lost around 15 pounds. I'm terrified of going to orientation and getting weighed for fear of being rejected for the surgery.

TIA,

Candace

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Candy

@skykade

When you went to orientation, were you weighed? I've been sick for 2 weeks with that awful cold that's been going and have lost around 15 pounds. I'm terrified of going to orientation and getting weighed for fear of being rejected for the surgery.

TIA,

Candace

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Candy

Yes, you are weighed. They give you a book and at every appointment you are weighed. I think you will be okay. I don’t know how much you weigh but as long as your over a BMI of 40 at the first weigh in it doesn’t matter how much you lose you will still be qualified at that kaiser. You can check your BMI on line just enter in your weight and height on a BMI calculator and it will tell you!! Ahh I really hope everything goes well for you! I had the sickness too! It’s been like three weeks but I just had the cough and sore throat still trying to get the cough under control. It’s cold wear layers ;)