Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2017 Gastric Bypass!

Hello everyone.

I new to the site. I'm 5'11 and I was 311 when I went in for a Gastric bypass on December 18,2017. I was in the hospital for two nights. I was in pain for only 2-3 hours after waking up. I was able to walk the following day. One thing you want to make sure you bring an smartphone, ipad, or something to do because it will seem you are in there forever. I checked my weight 5 days after the surgery and I was at 292. I wasn't hungry must the first 2 -3 days after coming home from the hospital. Now that I almost have a week. I do get hungry but not as before the surgery.

Having broth almost all the time is really getting to me. I can't wait until I start eating other type of food. I'm really going to miss Rice and Pasta. My goal is to be at 185- 190 hopefully by next year. I wish everyone good luck in their journey.

Hi all .. I'm going for RNY bypass on December 29th. All those emotions - nervous, scared, hopeful, determined, ready. I am fighting off a sinus infection though. I hope it won't affect the surgery. It's tough right now to get in touch with the doctor to confirm whether I can go through with it or not. i'm travelling to Mexico for it so double risk!!

My doctor told me that if I'm sick especially any cough or cold they will reschedule the surgery. They are not going to take a chance that something goes wrong if you are sick. If you are going to another country to have the surgery you shouldn't have the surgery within 3-4 days of arriving. My doctor also told don't get on a plane for the first two weeks after surgery. I forgot what is call, but when you are in a plane at very high altitude your red blood cells are moving at faster rate and it can take up to 72 hours for it to clear. Just be very careful most Doctor from third world countries only care about making money. I've seen stories of people who have gone to third world countries for surgeries and then come back in a worst state then when they left.

29 minutes ago, Francisco82 said:

My doctor told me that if I'm sick especially any cough or cold they will reschedule the surgery. They are not going to take a chance that something goes wrong if you are sick. If you are going to another country to have the surgery you shouldn't have the surgery within 3-4 days of arriving. My doctor also told don't get on a plane for the first two weeks after surgery. I forgot what is call, but when you are in a plane at very high altitude your red blood cells are moving at faster rate and it can take up to 72 hours for it to clear. Just be very careful most Doctor from third world countries only care about making money. I've seen stories of people who have gone to third world countries for surgeries and then come back in a worst state then when they left.

I'll be contacting the surgeon to see what he will say .. I'll let it develop (or not) over the next couple of days. I am prone to sinus issues so finding a time when I don't have some sort of issue can be a problem. I have had 4 friends who had surgery with this surgeon, all travelled and none had issues. I think your oxygen levels can be depleted when you are flying but unless you have underlying heart or lung issues, it shouldn't be an issue. They do monitor blood oxygen levels before, during and after surgery and if they have returned to normal, I'm not sure what the issue with flying is. I am scheduled to come back after one week.

My surgery was 12/13/17. It has been extremely difficult especially the first week. I’m doing much better now. I am much older than anyone i’ve read on the forum, so maybe that was the reason for the difficulty.

Would I do it again? I don’t know yet.

My surgery was 12/13/17. It has been extremely difficult especially the first week. I’m doing much better now. I am much older than anyone i’ve read on the forum, so maybe that was the reason for the difficulty.
Would I do it again? I don’t know yet.

My surgery was 12-18-17 I’m 64 and would do this again in a heartbeat, I’m week for puréed food yes. Some pain but with each day get only better.

58 minutes ago, real sight said:

My surgery was 12-18-17 I’m 64 and would do this again in a heartbeat, I’m week for puréed food yes. Some pain but with each day get only better.

I’m 70. I don’t know what the difference in people is, but the surgery knocked me for a loop. I was surviving on Water for days. But i’m Feeling better now, so all is good. Hungry!!

I had band to bypass on 12/22. Came home on 12/23. Doing well so far. Yesterday was hard bc I felt weak and really tired but I feel like I’ve turned a corner today. Getting plenty of fluids and the gas pain is finally pretty much gone. Looking forward to the puréed food stage.

On 12/24/2017 at 2:14 PM, L W said:

Hi all .. I'm going for RNY bypass on December 29th. All those emotions - nervous, scared, hopeful, determined, ready. I am fighting off a sinus infection though. I hope it won't affect the surgery. It's tough right now to get in touch with the doctor to confirm whether I can go through with it or not. i'm travelling to Mexico for it so double risk!!

Know my doctor said if I had any type fever, would be a no go. Am guessing with sinus infection you probably have a slight fever?

Has my gastric bypass on 12/20. I had already met my insurance deductible, so was disappointed as they did not have an opening before end of year. Amazingly, there was a cancellation and I had a week’s notice! I had started pre-op diet just in case. Just reminding folks to be knowledgeable about what you will require the days you are in the hospital. My nurse was “floating” due to crazy holiday calendar. She handed me my pills in full form (not crushed). She was glad I told her and asked if I was “sure?”. Second day kitchen sent a high fructose popsicle on my tray. Glad I checked! Will be struggle enough to stay away from sweets...so wanted to put breaks on immediately...sugar-free only. Five days out, feeling great. I have actually been saying prayers that I can stray on track and stick to my commitment to myself. Have friends that have struggled and gained :(. Wish everyone the best! Life begins anew!

So I have been in another city for my bypass and post op recovery in a hotel. Flew home today.i know scales aren’t everything, but 12 days out I wanted to know...

First weigh in post surgery, 211 lbs. down from 230 when I started 3 Day liquid diet, and 226 at surgery.

I got this. So much better than watching myself creep back up to my pre-gastric-band weight of 260 or more, which was my alternate destiny!

Edited by Biddynz

I had my sleeve surgery on Dec 18th. It's 7 days today and I'm feeling so much better every day! I'm down 26 pounds total, 14 in the first week! I have taken it pretty easy this week. Moved to Phase 2 when I got so hungry! I'm on thick liquids now and never thought I would enjoy them so much!