Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2017 Gastric Bypass!

I had my surgery on December 19. Been kinda tough but am getting used to the program. Having to figure out how to eat been the biggest hurdle. Trying to make sure I get enough Protein has been a priority.

I don't really have an appetite and even when I try to eat after I have 2 or 3 spoonfuls I'm done. I have times when I do this dry heeving thing. It's like I am about to vomit but nothing comes up and it makes me feel worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

• Sorry I haven't kept up. It has been a bit hectic. I had RNY on the 14th. Best thing I ever did. Starting weight was 279# 3 years ago. I was 231# at first Dr appointment, 211# day of surgery 221# day after. Lots of Fluid weight from IV'S. Today I am 190#. I had a 1 1/2 week stall at 194#. I go to Dr tomorrow for 6 week check. I have had several episodes of dumping. No fun. Still learning.

• Sorry I haven't kept up. It has been a bit hectic. I had RNY on the 14th. Best thing I ever did. Starting weight was 279# 3 years ago. I was 231# at first Dr appointment, 211# day of surgery 221# day after. Lots of Fluid weight from IV'S. Today I am 190#. I had a 1 1/2 week stall at 194#. I go to Dr tomorrow for 6 week check. I have had several episodes of dumping. No fun. Still learning.

Thanks for the update...you're doing great!

Sent from my SM-T818T using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, MARGAUX said:

Your weight is basically the same as mine I had my RNY on December 29th I'm afraid I am having a stall right now. I'm 215 currently. I weighed 247 in my day of surgery. I feel awesome so I'm hoping even if i don't lose anymore I have helped my cholesterol level. I'm absolutely not regretting having the surgery. It was definitely worth it.

Edited by Linz13

I was Type II Diabetic, High cholesterol, High blood pressure and was on meds for all. 2 weeks post op I was off all meds. I feel so much better .

Edited by MARGAUX

15 minutes ago, MARGAUX said:

I was Type II Diabetic, High cholesterol, High blood pressure and was on meds for all. 2 weeks post op I was off all meds. I feel so much better .

Have you been doing anything exercise?

I was cleared at 3 weeks for aqua aerobics. I do that 3 days a week. I also walk a lot

On 1/23/2018 at 11:21 AM, MARGAUX said:

Thanks for sharing this, Margaux. I waited 14 years for this so I was expecting the weight to just drop off and to be super motivated. Lo and behold my father died after a relatively brief illness on January 7, as I was recovering from surgery still. It's been very hard. I have had what I consider 'small cheats' such as having 3 or 4 mini pretzels with a dab of Peanut Butter and jelly on top. It was very delicious but I was aware that jelly is full of sugar and these little treats need to be carefully guarded. So that perhaps a once a week treat doesn't become a daily treat. I need to have small rewards since my marriage is on the rocks and I'm lonelier than ever, family struggling with the death of my father and I'm the oldest 'functional' sibling so I have a lot on my shoulders. I think WE CAN DO IT! I've lost 30 pounds since surgery 12/29/17 and 45 pounds since being weighed in November. I also lost at least 30 additional pounds because at my doctor's scale I was almost 390 months ago...very bloated. So I feel as long as I keep moving in the right direction, whether slowly or not, I am going in the right direction! We are living and learning! I didn't have dumping but I had AGONY after eating some soft chicken and refried Beans too quickly. The pain was agoizing into my stomach, chest, back, even a headache! Is THAT dumping? Or just pain from eating too thick food too quickly? I was hungry and gobbled a small amount, but far too quickly.

Dec 20th here!

December 20th
Sw 236
Cw 199

What does “full” feel like for folks? I get a chest type pain but don’t feel full—- or is that my new full feeling?!

December 20th
Sw 236
Cw 199

What does “full” feel like for folks? I get a chest type pain but don’t feel full—- or is that my new full feeling?!

Lol...the struggle is real. I have to measure everything before I eat to make sure I do not overeat. The couple of times I know I ate too much, I only felt a slight fullness in my chest.

I had some struggles post-surgery and just got back to work on Jan. 29. (Surgery date Dec. 18.) Incisions and all were fine but I was so sick feeling I couldn't even force myself to eat or drink. I let it go on too long and made things worse. There were times, multiple, that I regretted doing this. (Oddly enough the week of surgery I felt good, so good I even thought I might go back to work early, or at least could. This all started happening in the weeks following!)

They also found a diaphragmatic hernia during one of my urgent care visits post-op. My surgeon said I didn't have to worry about it because I'm a bypass patient. I don't know why that it is but waiting word back.

BUT feeling much better now. I can eat and drink. Drinking enough is a constant struggle as it was before surgery. I worked at it then too but it is harder now given the limitations on the amounts at one time and having to wait before and after eating. Still while not getting while I need I'm usually getting enough to keep me from being horribly dehydrated.

I had RNY on December 20th. I felt like I was waiting for months for a date, and then when the hospital finally called me it was only like, 3 weeks out so I had to rush to buy the Optifast. I was also flying to Ottawa a few days before my surgery for our Christmas party, so I think the hardest part was not being able to eat while everyone else was stuffing themselves with food and getting hammered.

The surgery itself went smoothly. The hospital stay did not go as smoothly, mainly on account of my roomie who I swear must have been the Devil Incarnate, but she was moved for the second night. Left the hospital in two days. I had one incident about a week or two after the surgery, my GP had told me to get liquid magnesium to help with my bowels and I didn't realize until I swallowed it that the magnesium was carbonated and I got really violently ill. Apart from that I'd get sick after eating every here and there, but nothing major. Went back to work mid-January although my energy levels weren't great and I'd have to tap out around 3ish for a week or two.

BostonWLKC, my 'full feeling' is not that different from what it was prior to surgery, but I usually stop myself where I feel satisfied, not full.

Hello everyone! I just found this forum and I hope I can get some great support here! My RNY was December 14 and I’m doing okay. Preop weight was 190 and current weight is 164, but I feel like I’ve hit a stall! I’ve been 164 for over a week now! It’s frustrating so I’ve decided to stop weighing myself everyday and maybe doing it once a month. What do you think? I walk a lot but I think I need to start something more vigorous!

8 hours ago, Cybie said:

Hello everyone! I just found this forum and I hope I can get some great support here! My RNY was December 14 and I’m doing okay. Preop weight was 190 and current weight is 164, but I feel like I’ve hit a stall! I’ve been 164 for over a week now! It’s frustrating so I’ve decided to stop weighing myself everyday and maybe doing it once a month. What do you think? I walk a lot but I think I need to start something more vigorous!

Hi Cybie,

Stalls are TOTALLY normal and expected. I KNOW they are a huge drag! I quickly lost 30 pounds post surgery in about a month, then I had at least TWO FULL WEEKS where the scale didn't budge at all...if anything it went UP a pound! I was so depressed about it...well the stall broke and I'm down 15 pounds more! So keep your hope! Don't allow the stall to cause you to eat sugar, carbs or other 'forbidden' things as we do this weight loss surgery journey! Stay on your path!