Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can’t meet my protein requirements

I got my sleeve on the 17th and from day 1 post-op I couldn’t get my Protein in. The first week I was able to get 30g (one shake) in atleast now these Premier Protein shakes make sick I cannot stomach them and I’m thinking it’s because of the dairy or dairy consistency, I’ll gag and dry heave after cause it makes my stomach upset. Now I feel ill and weak because I’ve just be having Soup, Water, and tea.

I was going to get the Isopure Zero Carb drink but $45 for 12 bottles? ? That will only last me about a week and I still have 3-4 weeks until I can get protein from other foods and meats.< /p>

However, I bought the ISOPURE unflavored protein what are some good things to add it into? I can have unsweetened tea along with lemon water and crystal light

I am at the puree stage but was in the same boat when I was at the liquid stage. I could not tolerate ant pre-made Protein Shakes. I had the unflavored Isopure and I added it to my Soup, you can add it to your Water (works great with a flavor packet) and I also made my own Protein shakes with it that were delicious. I did unsweetened almond milk, ice, a scoop of protein and strawberries and bananas. Now that I am at the puree stage I can tolerate 2-4 ounces of the premaid shakes between meals (which is my plan from my doctor). I was sleeved on the 19th and after one week was allowed greek yogurt and cottage cheese which made a world of difference. If you are allowed sugar free pudding the isopure works well in that as well. Good Luck!

I used and still use either sprouts brand or the Orgain chocolate powders. Not too sweet at all.

Use two scoops of that, with 8 ounces crushed ice and 8 ounces skim milk (kroger carb master) and you get a whopping 30 grams or more.

its also good if you mix some cold brew coffee in with that.

I use GENEPRO Medical Grade Protein Powder. I bought it on Amazon.. $30 or $40 , don’t recall, but it has 30 servings in it. Each scoop is approx 30g Protein (same as 1 premiere shake)

I use a scoop of it and put it in my broth. It has NO taste. Once I move on to more foods I will add it to my yogurt, cottage cheese, anything.

When you use it, to avoid clumping, I mix the protein powder in a few oz of liquid first. Mix it well to get rid of any clumps then I add it to my larger portion.

I tried it as a recommendation on here from someone else. It works great for me!

I was sleeved on 10/17. Every Protein Shake and powder gave me issues. And Just couldn't deal with them. In the hospital I wasn't going to be calling for a nurse for diarrhea and be caught without their attention. At home I just didn't want to deal either. I would attempt to do a smoothie every other day with frozen vanilla yogurt, Greek yogurt, mango ice, (allergic to bananas) and V-Core vanilla bean Protein powder, 1/2 scoop gives 15 g protein. By the time I was done, a 4oz glass was about 20-25g protein, and I could probably not have any issues if like I said I did this every other day. On pureed now.

How long does your diet plan have you drinking shakes? ? I was off them as soon as I started purees....can't stomach them at all anymore.

One thing that I found out in my last meeting before my surgery (Nov 8th is surgery date!!:51_scream:), is that we can become lactose intolerant. While most of the better Protein mixes are made with whey isolate, some are not. I'm ALREADY lactose intolerant and have been for 20 years, possibly my whole life. I have to be careful. Premier Protein premixed chocolate upsets me big time. The vanilla not so much. I too bought the genpro medical grade and tried it, it's fine. I need to pick up Unjury chicken. The protein mix that doesn't bother me at all is Muscle Milk. I use the Vanilla Creme. Mix up a scoop of that, a tablespoon of PB2, 1/2 banana, and 8oz of Fairlife (lactose free) skim milk with ice. It's truly heaven in a glass. After surgery I cannot add the banana til after Nov 29 as I'll be on full liquids only till then. Banana is a puree food on my diet. I also use plant based protein mix and had my dietician look it over as well as the nurse that ran our life skills class. It's fine and meets all requirements. So if you have become lactose intolerant, maybe try a plant based. I've tried so many and the pea Proteins just suck. The one I like the best, and it's grainy not smooth like Muscle Milk is, is Garden of Life Raw Fit. I've tried the chocolate, vanilla and Marley coffee. LOVE that Marley Coffee! I will take a scoop of that, mix a little Water with it to turn into a kinda paste, then add a small container of 0% plain greek yogurt (you could use vanilla). Mix up good. Eat it. A scoop of the Raw Fit is 28 grams protein, 1 gram sugar. Added to the greek yogurt, that's an additional 20 grams protein (I use Fage). If you make a shake out of it and use a cup of Fairlife skim milk, that's 13 grams more of protein. ONE shake, that may take you all day to drink, will have 61 grams of protein. BAM! OR If you use 2 scoops Muscle Milk (32 gr protein), 1 cup Fairlife (13 g), 1 container plain greek yogurt (20 g) and 2 tablespoons of PB2 to add peanutbutter flavor (5 g protein), you have a nice delish drink, that usually DOES NOT upset my sensitive gut, for 70 gr protein. All these are low sugar. If it takes all day to drink, you have your protein in. Adding in a TABLESPOON of Genpro medical grade no flavor adds 30 additional grams. While all these higher end protein mixes and esp the medical grade are pretty expensive. When you think about it, one of these shakes I've mentioned will probably be our MEALS for the day, makes it inexpensive compared to what we COULD be eating. Good luck! I hope some of these suggestions help because It almost sounds like you have a lactose problem now.