Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico: Dr. Ramos Kelly Botched Surgery - LaurasVSG Tube

I’ve seen many posts about Ramos Kelly saying he’s great, but last night I was watching post op YouTube videos and on Laura’s VSGtube channel, she posted a series of live videos (like minutes before I got to her page). She said Dr. Kelly screwed up her sleeve to mini bypass surgery, did it completely wrong. She was dying in her hotel room and no one would pick up their phone. Then Dr. Kelly’s wife proceeded to send her all these really nasty offensive messages, she even showed her phone on the camera to prove it. I felt so bad, she has me so scared to get the surgery ANYWHERE in fear this might happen to me. She ended up trekking it back to San Diego and checked into a bariatric center there, where they realized she was literally dying and they opened her up and fixed the botched surgery. She has been in the hospital for a week and a half now in San Diego recovering. When I woke up this morning, she deleted the videos. I don’t know what’s going on but I feel like this information needs to be on this board.

As someone who has had to deal with a problem surgeon, I am so sorry. I didn't have the experience you did but at least I understand what it is like to have a surgeon who ruins things.

Yeah, I remember the night she posted the video.

I was shocked because up until then, all I heard was praise from her about Dr. Kelly.

At first I thought it might have been just a rant while high on meds, but then she went on about how long she was there and all of the Facebook drama.

I knew that stuff wouldn’t last on her YouTube page, so I backed up the video before she took it down.

Spoke to my own surgeon about getting work done in TJ and she said DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!

She says there are Technical Bulletins about countless deaths due to malpractice coming out of TJ.

I've recommended that our members stay FAR away from Dr. Ramos Kelly for many years now. There are good and bad surgeons, in Mexico and the US. He's not a respected surgeon and has a very shady past. This most definitely is not the first surgery he's botched. It's really sad that people don't do enough research before having surgery with him.:(

I've recommended that our members stay FAR away from Dr. Ramos Kelly for many years now. There are good and bad surgeons, in Mexico and the US. He's not a respected surgeon and has a very shady past. This most definitely is not the first surgery he's botched. It's really sad that people don't do enough research before having surgery with him.[emoji20]

She had her VSG with him and did great but ended up regaining a little and went in for a second surgery. We all see good and bad surgeries happen mostly good. It’s how they were treating her after it went bad that had her so upset.

I had a great experience with Dr Ramos as my surgeon. The surgery went perfectly uncomplicated, My recovery was extremely quick, experienced zero side effect including no gas pain post op. As you can see by my stats the surgery was also successful. I guess as with everything your mileage may vary. To be clear I am not a Ramos fanboy, I am just very satisfied with the job I asked him to do. I wasn't looking for someone to make me feel good or fluff my ego. I was looking for competent surgeon and don't regret my choice.

I actually did a lot of research before deciding on Dr Kelly. I learned that he had excellent training and actively keeps himself current. He has been doing VSG and other bariatric surgeries for well over a decade. He not only has likely done more bariatric surgeries than most other Mexican surgeons but at the same time has tackled many more high risk surgeries (i.e. super obese and /or concurrent significant medical commodities ) that other surgeons have avoided to keep their complication/death stats down. I also learned there is a great deal of non altruistic motivated politics in Mexico's bariatric scene.

I am in Tijuana at the moment and have learned that Dr. Ramos Kelly had two more patients die after he operated on them. It's really sad that people don't do enough research!!

Why did she go to Mexico to do a surgery she just said was illegal were she is.. did she not trust her country made it illegal for a reason. I'm all for traveling for cheaper surgery. But probably not for a surgery that's illegal in my country.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I can understand wanting to go back to the same surgeon that performed the original surgery, but I'm more curious as to why she went to Mexico in the first place?

I can understand wanting to go back to the same surgeon that performed the original surgery, but I'm more curious as to why she went to Mexico in the first place?

Cheaper I assume ? Alot of people here in the UK go to European countries like Hungary etc for their surgery.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello, I will like to share my experience with Dr. Ramos Kelly, I had my surgery about 1 month ago and so far my experience was great. The staff was AMAZING and very professional, they answered all my questions and I also had a couple of phone consultations with Dr. Kelly (about 20-30 minutes each one, no surgeon in the states will ever do that for you as a patient). I review all his credentials and affiliations to all Bariatric associations, we should look at that while reviewing a surgeon. To anyone who has doubts, move forward with the surgery, his staff is super helpful and he is an amazing surgeon. One thing most people forget is that this is a major surgery not a walk in the park, again place the trust in your decision. Best of luck !

2 hours ago, Alexy said:

Hello, I will like to share my experience with Dr. Ramos Kelly, I had my surgery about 1 month ago and so far my experience was great. The staff was AMAZING and very professional, they answered all my questions and I also had a couple of phone consultations with Dr. Kelly (about 20-30 minutes each one, no surgeon in the states will ever do that for you as a patient). I review all his credentials and affiliations to all Bariatric associations, we should look at that while reviewing a surgeon. To anyone who has doubts, move forward with the surgery, his staff is super helpful and he is an amazing surgeon. One thing most people forget is that this is a major surgery not a walk in the park, again place the trust in your decision. Best of luck !

This "member" was just banned.

We believe this member is Dr. Ramos Kelly himself or someone that works for him. Dr. Ramos Kelly messaged and called one of BariatricPal's associates in Mexico today cursing us out for allowing these posts.

Do you think it's a coincidence that a "patient" of Dr. Ramos Kelly is posting great things about him the same day we received this phone call and messages??? I think not!!!!!

I dug a bit deeper and now I'm 100% certain that this is Dr. Ramos Kelly or his staff posting as a happy patient. His IP address is the EXACT location where he's located. See below:

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 6.09.57 PM.png