Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's normal eating post surgery ??

I know that gastric by-pass is probably the best for me since I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have hypertension. But I'm scared about how I'm going to eat again....Will you always have to eat like a bird....tiny portions? Of course I know that you cant eat like you use to but I picture little pieces of Protein, some veges and little fruit. or do you get to eat all foods you enjoy in a lot smaller doses? Will I never be able to eat a sandwich again? No potatoes or Pasta ever? I know change is inevitable but how hard is it to adjust to this? Also, what about my wine once in awhile? Is that totally off limits for the rest of my life? Maybe someone who is post op for a year or longer can give me some advice. Thank you!

The sleeve is a suitable option for your medical conditions. Many veteran sleevers on here have had those conditions completely reversed by the sleeve.

Now about food, you are sounding worried about consuming quantities of food...which means you need to examine just HOW important is a sandwich after all?

Advice can be given to give equal weight to both scenarios - #1 - Protein, then veg, then what will fit or #2 - everything but smaller amounts. Your body will need the correct grams of protein to maintain muscle and keep your metabolism fired up or you will suffer deficiencies during the weight loss phase.

You have to decide how important the food is to you - more than your health? You will be able to have a small amount of most foods - but not until you are closer to maintenance. Some people never tolerate rice, bread, or Pasta and consider them inferior nutrition for a bariatric program. Restriction is the whole idea of the surgery, it isn't the hard part. The hard part is your relationship with food.

I have the sleeve and am 6 to 7 months out. I can eat whatever I want just smaller portions. I tend NOT to eat lots of bread or sandwiches cause it fills you too fast and you can't get your Protein requirements, and its a different full feeling, like a bad one.

My main diet consists of eggs, chicken, steak,chili, salmon, tuna steak, yogurts,cottage cheeses, nuts and salads...I have the occasional slice of pizza or 1/4 of a piece of sub sandwich, but processed coldcuts dont sit to well with me..

You basically have to see what you like to eat again and you will be eating smaller, human sized portions of it. Like now I can barely eat 2 eggs and 4 oz of Icelandic yogurt for Breakfast, where my old self would eat 3 to 4 egg omelette with cheese, 2 slices of toast with PB&J and 4 slices of turkey bacon, and 3 cups of coffee and still be hungry an hour later..

The major difference is separating your liquids from solids and not drinking with your meals, you dont realize how used to it you have become.

I focus on nutrition primarily. Everything I choose to eat is because it is healthy and contributes to my overall good nutrition. If you are going to be successful long term you should do your best to make the lifestyle changes that will last. I don’t eat any of the junk foods that I used to. I avoid processed foods and sugar. I have chosen to eat a plant based diet, but many choose to eat low carb.

A treat once in a while will happen, but overall healthy eating is the norm.

2 hours ago, comtngirl said:

Will you always have to eat like a bird....tiny portions? Of course I know that you cant eat like you use to but I picture little pieces of Protein, some veges and little fruit. or do you get to eat all foods you enjoy in a lot smaller doses? Will I never be able to eat a sandwich again? No potatoes or Pasta ever?

Of course you won't need to eat small portions forever. Of course you'll be able to eat potatoes, Pasta, baked goods and other carbs.

However, do you want to end up like Carnie Wilson? She's the celebrity who regained two-thirds of her weight after having lost 150+ pounds with gastric bypass.

Yes, you can eat larger portions and simple carbs as time passes. But do you value life as a healthy normal-weight person more than the ability to eat the starchy crap that probably fattened you up in the first place?

The choice is yours. Good luck to you. :)

When I was going thru "THE $500.00" class that my Surgeon charged us to go thru the manual that he gave us. I was told by him, his nurse and the nutritionist, that in time there are no FORBIDDEN FOODS. We just need to learn Portion Control. And eat everything in MODERATION!!! Now that I am over 4 years out I can finally have 1 slice of bread (I mean whole grain good for you bread) I do have a 1/2 of a sandwich once and awhile. There are a few things that don't work for me such as eggs and Steak. I miss my Steak bad!!! Each of us has to find our new NORMAL. Noone can tell you what to eat. What works for me and you may not work for the other person!! Good Luck in whatever surgery you decide on.

I can eat anything at this point, but I focus on Protein, vegetables, and fruits. I also eat some complex carbs like Beans and bran Cereal. I try to avoid sugars and "white carbs" (white rice, white flour, potatoes) but I do eat them occasionally.

I don't eat microscopic portions anymore. I'm just more of your normal "light eater". I doubt anyone would guess I had surgery , because I know a lot of "light eaters", none of whom have had weight loss surgery. At this point, I can maintain my weight as long as I average about 1700 calories a day, which really isn't too much less than the normal 2000-ish for someone my weight/height.

On 29/10/2017 at 5:45 PM, comtngirl said:

I know that gastric by-pass is probably the best for me since I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have hypertension. But I'm scared about how I'm going to eat again....Will you always have to eat like a bird....tiny portions? Of course I know that you cant eat like you use to but I picture little pieces of Protein, some veges and little fruit. or do you get to eat all foods you enjoy in a lot smaller doses? Will I never be able to eat a sandwich again? No potatoes or Pasta ever? I know change is inevitable but how hard is it to adjust to this? Also, what about my wine once in awhile? Is that totally off limits for the rest of my life? Maybe someone who is post op for a year or longer can give me some advice. Thank you!

It depends on the plan given to you by your doctor. I can't tell you about your plan , Ask your actual surgeon if your allowed bread potatoes or Pasta on your plan. But I am allowed to eat what I want in a balanced way all those things, but it makes me feel like crap ( Tried bread and potatoe not pasta) . I do not physically want most of the things I used to love. (3 months post sleeve)

Again wine, is it allowed on YOUR plan|?. It is on mine after 3 months, others are told to never drink again, some are told afte 1 year etc. Many variations. But I am happy with my plan and I am fine with how I eat, I only hated the puree stage.

I also would wonder if there are some underlying worries hidden in the " will I ever be able to eat a sandwich" Whats a piece of bread? Why such a huge importants over the sandwich that seems to be causing you so much worry? For me my worry about foods were more about being scared of the unknown and the change to come. Now at only 3 months post I could not care less about those foods I was thinking I might miss , now I am like.. a sandwhich? who cares, Ive lost 50lbs lol were as before I was literaly thinking how will I cope not eating abc*Insert my old favs i dont even think about now.

1 minute ago, comtngirl said:

Its amazing how it changes...can't wait -

Oh yes, I used to read all this people saying its like its their mind that has been changed not just their stomach and many other things, and I said this will not be me the way I love my food... I can't say were I will be in the future, but right now.. only 3 months on I am a NEW person, to drive to macdonalds everyones ordering, I could have ordered a burger and ate just the pattie, but I did not want to.. I sat while everyone was ordering, it smelt good. But I just did not want it.. I am the same person who many times ended up in a macdonalds drive through ordering like 3 meals just for me. I do not know who I am right now lol but I am going with the flow :)

I still love food. I eat everything but. Rice and Pasta. I have had 1/2 a wrap small Sandwhich once in 3 months. I eat Melba toast with tuna or hummus for lunch ( 4 is enough for me!)I have had small tastes of my family Desserts. 90% of the time I’m eating clean with Protein first and 5-6 small mini meals a day. I’m hungry if I don’t eat for 3 hours and get excited for my food. I usually have big eyes and am amazed that the 4 oz of my delicious normal dinner is all I want because I’m full! I actually leave over 1/2 my meal on my plate and I love that. I bring the rest for my ‘2 lunches’ the next day for work. I eat 3 oz at 12 and then 3 oz at 3 or 4ish. So basically I don’t feel like I’m missing out. I taste things if I want to or most often don’t care to. I love feeling full and satisfied. I am almost 3 mos post op. I exercise at least 5 days a week with walking, spin class or barre classes. Don’t worry. You won’t feel deprived once you get real food which was about a month out for me.
HW. 289
CW. 246
GW. 180
Height 5’8

I just ate 4 our of 6 slices of a small personal pizza, and I feel absolutely guilty..lol But today was a super low intake day for me for some reason up until that point..

When I was going thru "THE $500.00" class that my Surgeon charged us to go thru the manual that he gave us. I was told by him, his nurse and the nutritionist, that in time there are no FORBIDDEN FOODS. We just need to learn Portion Control. And eat everything in MODERATION!!! Now that I am over 4 years out I can finally have 1 slice of bread (I mean whole grain good for you bread) I do have a 1/2 of a sandwich once and awhile. There are a few things that don't work for me such as eggs and Steak. I miss my Steak bad!!! Each of us has to find our new NORMAL. Noone can tell you what to eat. What works for me and you may not work for the other person!! Good Luck in whatever surgery you decide on.

Geez, that is a new one for me. That sounds a bit high, but it sounds like you are doing well. I guess it was worth it.

There is not a food I have tried that I cant eat. Some sauces and dressings give me a bit of acid reflux, but nothing major. I have been lucky, Steak, chicken, fish, beef Jerky, eggs, everything goes down fine...