Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting

I am really liking the intermittent fasting. It is so easy to implement and easy to change if you need to. So far there have been zero negatives and I am mostly still able to get the same amount of calories in the eight hour eating window.

I will be working on stopping weight loss soon so I may have to stop the IF for a while if I can't maintain while eating this way. I am getting close to my first stretch goal of 155. I am thinking I will let myself get down to 150 if that is where my body wants to be. Time will tell. Has anyone else tried this yet?

On 03/11/2017 at 2:06 AM, Apple1 said:

I eat from 12:00pm -8:00pm

That is interesting.

I think you mean to say, "I eat from 12 noon until 8pm."

The way you actually wrote it, most Europeans, Brits and Aussies would assume that you don't eat from midnight one day until 8pm in the evening of the next day.

12pm, where I live, is the stroke of midnight.

12am is noon or midday. As a mathematics person, it follows that the later evening is " ... 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, 12pm (midnight)".

A moment after that, in the milliseconds after midnight, we start the next day's a.m. tally.

- - -

We had an ex-pat American who started a restaurant here in Toronto (Australia) who put a sign on the door:

"OPEN FOR SERVICE"

"12pm to 10pm"

"Kitchen closes 9:00pm"

After a few weeks of jibes about midnight food, he changed the sign to:

"OPEN FOR SERVICE"

"11:45am to 9:30pm"

10 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

12am is noon or midday. As a mathematics person, it follows that the later evening is " ... 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, 12pm (midnight)".

Are you sure about that? I have never heard or seen it used that way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock

The 12-hour clock is a time convention in which the 24 hours of the day are divided into two periods: a.m. (from the Latin, ante meridiem, meaning before midday) and p.m. (post meridiem, meaning past midday). Each period consists of 12 hours numbered: 12 (acting as zero). The 24 hour/day cycle starts at 12 midnight (often indicated as 12 a.m.), runs through 12 noon (often indicated as 12 p.m.), and continues to the midnight at the end of the day. The 12-hour clock was developed over time from the mid-second millennium BC to the 16th century AD.

The 12-hour time convention is common in several English-speaking nations and former British colonies, as well as a few other countries.

Edited by Meryline

16 minutes ago, Meryline said:

Are you sure about that?

Yes ... very much so.

Over time, people in certain places have assumed that because the early afternoon is P.M. as in 12:01pm, 12:02pm, ... etc. then 12 noon is also PM ... but it's not.

Morning goes until 12noon/12a.m. is reached then PM starts immediately after. 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am, 12am/12noon ...

And I said, above, in another earlier post, "As a mathematics person, it follows that the later evening is " ... 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, 12pm (midnight)".

A moment after that, in the milliseconds after midnight, we start the next day's a.m. tally."

21 minutes ago, Meryline said:

I have never heard or seen it used that way

As a lot of people assume or use maths wrongly, sometimes in unison, and often without thinking, Long time bad practices exist in lots of places.

I remember back to the later years of the 20th Century. 90% or more of people assumed that the YEAR 2000 was the first year of a new century and a new millennium ... BUT IT WASN"T.

A decade of years is not complete until the year with the zero in the last place is over.

So DEC 31, 1999 was not the last year of the 20th Century. 20 x 100 = 2000. So twenty centuries (or two millennia) were complete AT THE END of DEC 31, 2000.

The first date in the 21st Century was Jan 1st, 2001.

- - -

Another quirk of counting time that few people are used to is years ending with TWO ZEROES.

1600 = leap year; 1700 = NOT leap year;

1800 = NOT leap year; 1900 = NOT leap year;

2000 = leap year; 2100 = NOT leap year;

The rule established by the church and the pope of the day (Greg, as I recall) was that every four years we would have a leap year EXCEPT that only end of century years that were DIVISIBLE by 400 would be LEAP YEARS and all others in between would not.

That's because, in reality a year is NOT QUITE 365.25 days from all that planet Earth circulating around the sun ... IN FACT, it is closer to 365.2488 days ... so about three days have to be "ERASED" every 400 years.

- - -

I used to do a regional radio program about all sorts of maths stuff on a local talkback station.

Well, must only be in Australia then, because everywhere where I have been where they use AM/PM it's used as posted in my previous post.

26 minutes ago, Meryline said:

must only be in Australia then,

Most definitely not.

Very widespread. The Gregorian calendar and the Universal Time Conventions are the norm pretty much everywhere.

Just because people use or interpret something different to what's normal or accepted does not make it right.

Just consider the terms "billion" and "trillion". Thirty years ago, the world (except for the USA and a couple of other exceptions) used billion to mean 1 x 10^12 and trillion as 1 x 10^24.

Since the internet became popular, for some reason, three-quarters of the world has gone to the American interpretation, i.e. billion as 1 x 10^9 and trillion as 1 x 10^12.

I use 24h clock, and that's it. I guess they should reteach English teachers around the world then, because they teach AM/PM as I have described over. I have been thought English in 4 different countries, including the UK and USA.

Yes, the 24 hour clock removes all doubt.

On 11/9/2017 at 6:58 AM, Meryline said:

Well, must only be in Australia then, because everywhere where I have been where they use AM/PM it's used as posted in my previous post.

Yes this is what I have always thought was correct. Sorry for the confusion.

That is interesting.
The way you actually wrote it, most Europeans, Brits and Aussies would assume that you don't eat from midnight one day until 8pm in the evening of the next day.
A moment after that, in the milliseconds after midnight, we start the next day's a.m. tally.
- - -
We had an ex-pat American who started a restaurant here in Toronto (Australia) who put a sign on the door:
"OPEN FOR SERVICE"
"12pm to 10pm"
"OPEN FOR SERVICE"

I'm in the UK. And read 12 noon till 8 evening. So would everyone else I know here in the UK . Most Brits would read it as she said it ..

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

That is interesting.
- - -
"OPEN FOR SERVICE"
"12pm to 10pm"
"OPEN FOR SERVICE"

It's like youve got it the wrong way round and saying it like "most " as if you even live in the UK to say how we interprete things. You always think your right. I'm in the UK and I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong too lol you know more about Brits than a Brit . It's funny

Yes this is what I have always thought was correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't be sorry . Because one person says something forcefully doesn't mean they are right lol. You have lived all these years doing it that way so has the whole of UK lol we have managed just fine lol

If you start doing it as rainbow said you will surely confuse people around you lok

Just wanted to pop back in and give an update. I am still using IF as my primary way of eating. I find that it fits my lifestyle and I have been maintaining my weight very easily thus far. I have leveled off at 154-157. I have been in that range for the past 6 weeks.

Has anyone else tried IF?

On 10/26/2017 at 9:27 AM, Apple1 said:

Yes!!! :D

We should definitely get one started. Maybe this can be the new thread.

FYI....WLS is a fast. It is a surgically induced fast!!! That was in the book.

This actually the principle in how we lost significant amount of weight with liquid diet pre and post op. i believe in IF and doing it now.. of course you need to make sure you eat right when it is time to eat 👍. I remeber fainting for seconds because In wasn’t eating enough 😜

Edited by Back2fit

Intermittent fasting is doable and workable. Despite me not sticking to it before WLS, I did it for about 3 months and saw significant changes. I disagree with the above poster, because I did my weights during my fast. I gained muscle and was getting stronger. When you do you homework on how the body works during IF, it’s pretty fascinating. It can be a long term way of eating. There are several here who do the 16:8 IF. Once I reach my goal and not working (time for weights in my fasting period) , I’ll be doing it as well. You’ll get tons of OPINIONS on here, including mine. but like what you did to go wfpb, do for IF, research it, learn how your body processes fasting and eating in a window. I highly recommend it.

I agree, I've been researching, got the same book, did a 3 day fast already. My eczema cleared quite a bit, my skin looked great, my arthritis called down a LOT. It was good, I will be doing it again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using BariatricPal mobile app