Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flying East Coast to West Coast w/Pain & Self Pay?

Everyone has been really helpful to me so far. I am close to pulling the trigger on going to Mexico over Christmas for The Sleeve!!! We will be flying out of Philadelphia and into San Diego, and I am looking for others familiar with Trans Con flights especially in regards to comfort. I have herniated disks in my neck and lower back, sciatica, and Fibromyalgia. Normally I don't even travel by car for more than an hour due to pain. However, as I am self pay for the procedure, and things are not working out with my nearby facility, this seems to be my best next option - especially as I can purchase Complication Insurance that will cover me after I return home for 6 months, to have care in the US, not having to fly back to CA/MX.

I have been trying to Google as much info on airlines as possible. Am even willing to spring for business or 1st class (up to a point, can't spend more than about $3,000 total for me & my husband r/t) since the surgery cost is less in MX. I really need seats that recline, preferably have foot rests - would love ones that go totally flat, but seems they are either only out of JFK or transatlantic. Plus, any other experience you have pertaining directly to flying after being sleeved would be helpful as well, since I have no experience with that yet! Thank you!

I've flown quite a bit and the amenities you are wanting are definitely going to require first class. In a regular seat, there is next to no recline and barely room for your legs. There is almost no room for anything other than sitting straight up with your legs in the usual sitting position unless you are very short. I flew from the US to Malaysia that way. My suggestion would be multiple connecting flights with time between so that you can get out and move around. I have a bulging disc in my lower back, and would love a seat where I could just lift my feet up a bit. I'm flying to San Diego on the 4th and will be in the usual uncomfortable, cramped seat. I have a very high pain tolerance though.

@Sparker7, yes that is what I figured. Trying to weigh pros and cons of multi stops such as collecting baggage/getting to new gate, etc. with having that ability to be up and walking around/switching positions for a while. I haven't flown since 2006, so I am really out of practice.

That high pain tolerance is a blessing, I used to enjoy that as well, but I over-did things and eventually a piece of disk broke off in 2006 & pinned down my sciatic nerve. I had to have a stat discectomy, which has been followed by 2 more back surgeries, and now have a fusion on the horizon because things never seem to go back to "normal" after a certain point. And I was at 135 lbs when I hurt my back, so being 70 lbs heavier is not helping!! Best of luck to you with your back and your surgery :)

One thing that might make your decision on connecting flights easier, as long as it's all booked together as connecting flights and not individual flights, you don't have to deal with the luggage. That's all taken care of behind the scenes.

19 minutes ago, Sparker7 said:

as long as it's all booked together as connecting flights and not individual flights, you don't have to deal with the luggage.

Did not realize this, very good to know. Thank you!

Just check your bag, and they take care of the rest.

3 hours ago, Taylor5 said:

Everyone has been really helpful to me so far. I am close to pulling the trigger on going to Mexico over Christmas for The Sleeve!!! We will be flying out of Philadelphia and into San Diego, and I am looking for others familiar with Trans Con flights especially in regards to comfort. I have herniated disks in my neck and lower back, sciatica, and Fibromyalgia. Normally I don't even travel by car for more than an hour due to pain. However, as I am self pay for the procedure, and things are not working out with my nearby facility, this seems to be my best next option - especially as I can purchase Complication Insurance that will cover me after I return home for 6 months, to have care in the US, not having to fly back to CA/MX.

I have been trying to Google as much info on airlines as possible. Am even willing to spring for business or 1st class (up to a point, can't spend more than about $3,000 total for me & my husband r/t) since the surgery cost is less in MX. I really need seats that recline, preferably have foot rests - would love ones that go totally flat, but seems they are either only out of JFK or transatlantic. Plus, any other experience you have pertaining directly to flying after being sleeved would be helpful as well, since I have no experience with that yet! Thank you!

If you fly Delta you can at least choose your seats, and I choose the exit row for the extra leg room

1 hour ago, Sara Bronson said:

If you fly Delta you can at least choose your seats, and I choose the exit row for the extra leg room

Makes sense, thanks!

First class, nonstop would be my choice. You can stand up and walk to the bathroom during the flight... so that helps with stretching and changing positions. Catching connecting flights and layovers makes for a really long day.

If you really want an adventure, take the train in a sleeper car. Probably takes 5 days to get there though....

12 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

If you really want an adventure, take the train in a sleeper car. Probably takes 5 days to get there though....

Yep, I checked already...4-5 days, and the total price was almost as much as a 1st class air ticket. Wouldn't mind a train adventure some day, but not to and from surgery, I don't think! Looks like we're doing 1st class. Damn shame I won't be able to eat anything good, but oh well, hardly the point, right? Omg, I'm gettin' sleeved!!!

Yep, I checked already...4-5 days, and the total price was almost as much as a 1st class air ticket. Wouldn't mind a train adventure some day, but not to and from surgery, I don't think! Looks like we're doing 1st class. Damn shame I won't be able to eat anything good, but oh well, hardly the point, right? Omg, I'm gettin' sleeved!!!

How much are you paying fir self pay and where are you getting it done??

Best wishes!

Dotty Cole