Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for sleevers with 10+ years postop

Hey,

So theres a growing thought after reading some horror stories regarding WLS and dental issues. Read a few stories of people loosing their teeth, having crazy cavity issues etc. Not sure if its from acid reflux from other surgeries like RnY or what not, but as a sleever I'm curious what to expect now that I'm in the post op life here.

For you with some long term success have you experienced any of this?

Any info would be great from you seasoned vets.

M

26 minutes ago, Mersh said:

horror stories regarding WLS and dental issues.

@Mersh

eeeeeeek!!!

almost 6 years PO

63 years young

i have all my teeth

no cavities in years

keep smiling!!!:rolleyes:

good luck

kathy

All bariatric folk have difficulty digesting Calcium. We need calcium citrate, specifically.

Blood tests usually won't show low calcium levels because the body pulls what it needs out of bones and teeth. Bone density scans are needed to show bone loss.

The other electrolytes; magnesium, sodium, and potassium, also work to establish bone health. Vitamins D and K2 also play roles.

Every one of these nutrients are frequently lacking in the bariatric population.

Good point about GERD.. it's a possibility.

Plus, some of us may hate brushing our teeth ;)

You aren't going to find many sleevers who are 10+ years out because the gastric sleeve surgery was very uncommon 10+ years ago (circa 2007).

Bariatric surgeons weren't really performing them back then. The gastric bypass was king. The lap band was also wildly popular in those days.

A very small handful of people were sleeved in '08 and '09, but the first large wave of sleevers had their surgeries performed in 2010/2011.

I told my dentist I was having the surgery and asked if there was anything I should do differently to protect my teeth after surgery. She had me switch to an electric toothbrush and use fluoride at bedtime.

I am only 9 months post op so I'm no help on the long-term sleeve question but I do have a story. I have an associate from a local Mom group who had RNY a few years back and within a year had lost all her teeth. She's around the same age as me, mid 30s and it terrified me as I was already throwing around the idea of surgery. I asked my doctor and NUT this question when I went in for a consult and both said that likely there were multiple factors at play here. She could genetically have bad teeth, she might have poor oral hygiene and she was very likely not taking her Vitamins or supplements. I saw her last week, she had gained back all her weight plus some so I'm guessing she wasn't compliant with treatment post surgery which makes me feel better about my own oral health because I'm very rigid about it. My parents spent 6500 dollars on my braces, back in the early 90s, so I don't want to mess my teeth up. I've been to the dentist twice since my surgery and my teeth look great thus far. Just take those vitamins and get Calcium whenever you can. Plus if you have an acid issue speak to the doc about meds.

To lose all her teeth, in a short period of time, only a year postop tells me there was something else going on.. not just surgery. Surgery may have been the straw, but not necessarily.

My FIL did the exact same thing. Lost all his teeth, suddenly, in his 30s. He was a 2-pack a day smoker, didn't brush or visit the dentist, drank nothing but coca cola, and became diabetic a few years later. (In other words, he was a mess).

2 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

To lose all her teeth, in a short period of time, only a year postop tells me there was something else going on.. not just surgery. Surgery may have been the straw, but not necessarily.

My FIL did the exact same thing. Lost all his teeth, suddenly, in his 30s. He was a 2-pack a day smoker, didn't brush or visit the dentist, drank nothing but coca cola, and became diabetic a few years later. (In other words, he was a mess).

I know that she had some of them pulled so she could get dentures once they started breaking and falling out but I agree. I think her oral hygiene wasn't the best and they were probably on the downslide already. She will tell anyone and everyone that it's the fault of the bypass though.

22 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I know that she had some of them pulled so she could get dentures once they started breaking and falling out but I agree. I think her oral hygiene wasn't the best and they were probably on the downslide already. She will tell anyone and everyone that it's the fault of the bypass though.

How about she was eating alot of Gummy sweets and forgot to brush her teeth? Not judging but if you say this happened within a year and she gained weight back plus some, we all know sugar does not help our teeth lol. Sounds like some denial is in there, WE WILL NEVER KNOW! :P

I'm 7 years out. I take calcium citrate because I'm still on a PPI and they affect Calcium and cause bone loss. I've had one cavity in the last 7 years, and I'm still mad about it, because I spent four years overseas, half on a hardship tour without access to regular cleanings and know it wouldn't have happened otherwise. I got pregnant right at the end and by the time I got it taken care of I needed a crown. Still pissed off. But otherwise? No issues whatsoever. No deficiencies, no dental problems.

Look - get regular labs and take the supplements you need. I do labs every 3-6 months, depending on what we're checking. Eat a varied diet, don't slack on supplements, don't guzzle soda or slack on dental hygiene.

Cheri

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, dreamingsmall said:

How about she was eating alot of Gummy sweets and forgot to brush her teeth? Not judging but if you say this happened within a year and she gained weight back plus some, we all know sugar does not help our teeth lol. Sounds like some denial is in there, WE WILL NEVER KNOW! :P

Yeah I would say she's maybe 4 years post op now and I saw her last weekend and she was bigger than I ever remember her being. She takes every opportunity to blame it all on the surgery, the surgeon, etc but we all know that if you don't change your habits, you won't be successful. It's sad because she lost so well and looked so healthy at first.

Not me, but my mom is 10 years out and hasn’t had any problems like these.