Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dilemma-Doctor refused to give a fill

;) I was looking forward to my first fill when I went to the doctor 6 weeks post-op, and he would not give me a fill! I had lost about 28 lbs. at that point, and he said that as long as I am losing well without a fill, he didn't plan on giving me one.

The problem is that I am getting really hungry! I have been trying to be good and stick to the guidelines, but I am almost afraid that if I keep losing weight, I won't get a fill next time either. I don't want to sabatoge what I have already done and gain weight, but I really feel like a need a fill the next time I go (not until November 14th).

Do I give in to my hunger and put on a few pounds in hopes that I will get a fill,or do I try to stick to the rules, and possibly be denied again when I go back?

Help!!! :D

I just don't get doctors who install bands, then are so stingy with fills. Mine looks not just at weight loss, but also how hungry you are, and if you are doing too much "white-knucking".

I'd call the Dr, and explain that you are really fighting hunger, and ask if he'd reconsider a fill. There is also a mind-set that goes on, we tend to think of Doctors as the final authority, with some justification since they do have knowledge we don't, but in the end we are the consumers and need to be heard.

I just don't get doctors who install bands, then are so stingy with fills. Mine looks not just at weight loss, but also how hungry you are, and if you are doing too much "white-knucking".

Edit doesn't seem to be working, I meant "White-knuckling"

Get your book out, the manual and next time you go in for a visit... use the words out of the book in conversation. If he doesn't give you a fill then....somethings not right.

On the flip side you are doing so well. Congrats.

Don't sabotage yourself. I agree with everybody. First try persuading your doctor. If that doesn't work, just keep at it. Assuming that you eventually stop losing because of your hunger, then it's time to schedule a fill. But I'd work the doctor first. Fills are part of the process!

I would not give into your hunger. In your mind you know what the right thing to do is. I would set a goal for yourself and follow through with it. If you need some help with setting this goal try this link for some ideas of creating goals.

Goal setting worksheets

It helps if you write your goals down. Do not give in to your hunger no matter what. This would defeat the whole purpose for being banded.

My dr. told me he wasn't putting alot when I got filled because I only gained one pound. I have been dieting and going to bed hungry because i didn't want to gain all that weight back,and it has been hard. And all that for nothing. Went to get my first fill and he only gives me alittle fill only because i didn't gain weight!! How could this happen??

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. I am going to call the doctor as suggested and hopefully convince him to reconsider giving me a fill.

I know that I will really regret it if I don't stick to the diet, so I am going to try and keep at it either way.

Hopefully, I will be filled and feeling some restriction soon!

Redgirl,

I hear what you are saying. I am surprised that you didn't get more of a fill...even though it was only a pound, you gained rather than lost. Maybe you should do what some of the others suggested and talk more assertively to your doctor about your need for more restriction.

I know it is hard...I am not a very assertive person, but like Sipgel posted, we did not go through all of this to gain weight. We have to tough it out and advocate for ourselves.

Rmember too that the whole point of getting the band was because we couldn't do it alone for long. So if you do screw up, no self blame! We've al been there. That's why we're all here.