Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Nutrition @ 8 weeks

Could someone give me an idea of the recommended calorie, fat, Protein count I should be getting. Everyone seems to have gotten that information from a Dr. (in a book or pamphlet) I didn't, not from nutritionist either and she is no longer available. I started at 235 on August 1(I am 8 wks out today). I have been able to tolerate everything I've tried-no major bread or sugars or fried foods except maybe a tiny pinch. I've never felt that "full" feeling yet. I would love to have some basics from others about the same stage. I'm getting between 800-950 cals, at least 60 Protein, and 64 ozs. Water. I hit a 3 week stall at week 4 and stayed at a 25lb loss, it finally broke and now I am at 32# down. I'm good with that......I just want to know if I'm in the right area. This sight crashes on me so, if anyone can help, feel free to send me an email mshydeaway@gmail.com . I would very much appreciate it and good luck to all!

Not all bariatric programs require tracking (a.k.a. calorie counting) because it reinforces the dieting mentality rather than a lifelong change in habits.

My program required no tracking of calories, fat grams, carbs, etc. Just as long as I consumed 80+ grams of Protein and 64+ ounces of Water daily, that was all that mattered.

As was said above I never counted calories, fats or whatever. I was told to concentrate on getting my Protein in at least 80grams and 64oz of fluids. As long as you are losing weight you should be ok. You sound like you are doing great. I was on Protein Drinks for 2 weeks preop and 4 weeks postop. My question is why didn't you get any guidelines from your Surgeon? Did you have your WLS in Mexico? My hubby had his there and we didn't even get discharge papers. KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

My doctor said the important things were Water, Protein, Vitamins, and exercise. I'm supposed to go for 60-80 grams of protein and 64 ounces of water (that's still tough for me). I haven't been given calorie guidelines, but I track what I eat and drink with MyFitnessPal, which gives me that information. I'm still under 600 calories a day, so it's not surprising that I'm losing. Given the restrictions we have now on how much we can consume, I don't think you could go over on the calories without consuming things you know are bad!

I was also told to focus just on Protein (60-80 grams) and fluids. It seems like I was getting around 600-800 calories a day for the first several months, though...

don't chase the full feeling. Just measure out your food and just eat that. Stop when you're done. "Full" doesn't feel the same after surgery, and usually by the time you realize you've overdone it, you've eaten too much and/or are in pain or get sick. I know it's hard to get used to, but..

also, I would stay away from breads, sugar, and fried food until you're in maintenance. Focus on protein, veggies, maybe a small serving of fruit, like a few berries. At over two years out, I still rarely eat breads, sugar, or fried things (in fact, fried stuff still doesn't sit well with me)

@catwoman7 This is excellent advice. I'm gonig to try to remember to follow it! TY!

On 26/09/2017 at 10:21 PM, Introversion said:

Not all bariatric programs require tracking (a.k.a. calorie counting) because it reinforces the dieting mentality rather than a lifelong change in habits.

My program required no tracking of calories, fat grams, carbs, etc. Just as long as I consumed 80+ grams of Protein and 64+ ounces of Water daily, that was all that mattered.

Mine is the same as you described, I did not think many others did, I do track 4 ounces when I am at home to make sure I am in check but just eat a bite or two when im out . :)

I am 3 months in and dont do shakes, I do not like the idea of drinking my calories anymore though I have alot left, but at home i ate alot of chicken and such and got to my goal easy with Protein i prefer to get from food, now i am in hosp i could benifit from some Protein Shakes but the thought of drinking cals outside cofee what i allow while in hosp is not for me

How did you calculate that you ate at 80grams of protein without tracking ?

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

25 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

How did you calculate that you ate at 80grams of Protein without tracking ?

When I mention tracking, I refer to the practice of recording caloric intake and macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat) via writing them down or using apps such as My Fitness Pal or Baritastic.

I simply keep a running tally in my head regarding the amount of protein I obtain because I know how much of it is contained within common foods.

For instance, a whole chicken breast has 36 to 40 grams of protein. An egg has 6 grams of protein. A cup of cottage cheese has 24 grams of protein.