Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Tastebuds Changes: tell me yours

I have an metal taste a lot of the time especially when I'm dry. I struggle now with eggs, they sit in my stomach and make me feel ill. I don't feel hungry most of the time, but when I do, I feel that I could eat a lot, but after a couple of ,mouthfuls I'm full. However, tonight I would have loved a bite out a Big Mac or zinger burger, though I'm sure it would have only been one bite.

On 9/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, naturallyzee said:

I now hate french fries. I loved them in the past. I also hate eggs now. I can do egg whites but not the yolk. When the yolk touches my tongue I immediately get nauseas. I never was a big sweet eater. I would eat cake if it was around. Now I have no desire to eat it. Even when my hubby brings home cup cakes I don't eat it. Premier shakes now taste horrible. My stomach can not tolerate nuts. They cause me physical pain. I no longer eat pizza or bread. I just have no interest in it. Right now nothing tastes good. I pretty much live off of cheese and chicken.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 199.8
GW below 200

I love fries but never really ate them so that would be no loss for me but I do love cake and do have the occasional sweet tooth after a meal but HA now that I type that I suppose I wont be having a whole lot of meals in the next few months so takes care of that after dinner treat! I love my Premier shake sand just bought 3 cases of them so I hope I can get them down. Because I pretty much love all foods now I am fearful that I wont like much of anything post surgery. I wonder if this is a permanent thing? Will you ever love french fries again? hmmmmmI cant imagine a life without an Eruption Cake :)

Had surgery today. So far Jello and juice tastes the same. Let’s see how the shakes taste tomorrow, considering I usually like shakes.

I’m one month post op . Everything taste different. eggs are gross although I can eat egg whites fried. I used to be obsessed with eggs. Forget shakes, they are nasty. Artificially sweetened things like Chrystal light, jello, pudding, etc are now too sweet and have a disgusting after taste. I can do refried Beans and light mozzarella cheese. (A tiny amount that is) Mashed potatoes are still good . Cottage cheese makes my stomach hurt. Most smells make me gag easily. Haven’t obviously tried most foods yet. It should be interesting when I don’t like anything anymore...hopefully I will. I’m afraid to taste other things .. don’t want dumping

I’m only 3 days post-op but my love for sweets has deceased. I had a couple of popsicles and Crystal Light and my tastebuds were like “gross, girl, what is this?!” Smh lol one of nurses told me this could happen but sheesh lol

I’m six weeks post. I’ve noticed I want my food to be savory and pack a taste. In other words I’m not just eating too be eating, when I do eat I want lots of flavor and I want it fresh. I. Cannot. Wait. To. Eat. A. SALAD!!!

HW 228
CW 217
GW 125

I’m six weeks post. I’ve noticed I want my food to be savory and pack a taste. In other words I’m not just eating too be eating, when I do eat I want lots of flavor and I want it fresh. I. Cannot. Wait. To. Eat. A. SALAD!!!

HW 228
CW 217
GW 125

Yes Monica!!! I’m 5 weeks post op and dying to eat real food. Healthy food but real food!!

My taste buds haven’t changed. Stuff that I liked before still tastes good. I haven’t tried a lot of that stuff because it’s junk, and I’m not doing that to myself so early in the process. But everything I have tried that I liked is the same.

What has changed is my tolerance. I used to eat a lot of eggs and loves them, but eggs don’t often agree with me now. White meat from chicken also doesn’t sit well - nor does tuna. They taste fine on the way in! But the pouch doesn’t like them and sometimes they come right back up.

Premier Protein shakes were also a challenge for a while - the taste was the same as pre-op but my pouch didn’t like the consistency. Now I never drink them straight - only watered down, most often with Decaf coffee or tea!

On 9/25/2017 at 5:03 PM, Ldyvenus said:

Noodles taste like paste. I used to love getting Shanghai noodles. And french fries taste like cardboard.

I can only PRAY that I dislike french fries after surgery. :lol:

eggs now make me sick! Keep trying but still can’t eat them.

I hated shrimp and clams pre-op and can’t get enough of them now.

I'm just 3 weeks out of surgery and I don't know what to eat. Every thing I try to eat is really disappointing me!! Can someone help me please!!

On 10/31/2017 at 10:07 PM, monica8773 said:

HW 228
CW 217
GW 125

I too cannot wait to eat my first SALAD! I’m week 4 post op rny & really craving a salad and all the wonderful Protein toppings. Yumm

I have noticed strange aftertastes with most of the things I put in my mouth though. For me, the aftertaste is definitely heightened and a bit irritating sometimes like when I’m trying to go to sleep even despite brushing my teeth sometimes.

Salt is the one thing that really stands out to me as an obnoxious taste. Most things that I used to eat with some salt I can’t stand now with much added salt.

I’m only 3 days post-op but my love for sweets has deceased. I had a couple of popsicles and Crystal Light and my tastebuds were like “gross, girl, what is this?!” Smh lol one of nurses told me this could happen but sheesh lol

I am begging for this. My sweet tooth is my problem and I am so worried about cravings. My surgery is Nov 20th.

On 10/20/2017 at 0:10 PM, niccib said:

I went in for my 1 month post op rny follow up today. I told my surgeon I was grossed out by crystal lite now, salt and popsicles & he said “that’s great actually because we’re seeing now that the surgical patients with these taste buds changes post op are actually doing better post op & are keeping weight off.” So it’s a good thing!😃 I was so happy!!

Just thought Ide share what he said at today’s appt, however, that’s not to say those who do not have taste changes cannot lose & keep weight off too. We all can if we keep to our program. Hugs!