Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Tastebuds Changes: tell me yours

The only changes that I've noticed is that I don't really enjoy overly sweet things anymore; it's just too much for me now. I actually kind of like marinara sauce now; I don't eat it much, but I had some on meatballs post-op, and it was delicious; I didn't like it at all before surgery.

My entire life I’ve never been a beef fan. As an adult, I’d occasionally eat steak, but only if I made it myself at home (so many restaurants ruin good cuts with awful sauces or not cooking properly). I was always a chicken person...

Chicken now is difficult for me... and since surgery, I’ve been eating the hell out out of ground beef... tacos (without a shell, naturally), chili, etc.

Sweet stuff is also pretty unappealing now, but I was never a big sweet person before.

Oh my gosh! Im so glad someone posted this because I wanted to talk about it.

Honestly I don't like much lately. Everything is entirely too sweet or too salty.

Im craving spicy all the time so I jazz up my veggies and Protein sources with Cajun spices. Most of the things I crave I get it, try it, hate it. Ive also started doing something I didn't use to. I smell everything before I taste it. Like hum...what IS THIS THING....Nope! Not going to like it.

Not only has my taste buds gone wackadoo, my sense of smell has gone haywire and I can smell everything a mile away. Not that I couldn't before but now its ultra sensitive. Last week an employee downstairs was cooking in our kitchen we have, and what ever it was made me nauseated to the point that I threw up an hour later just from the stench. Not to mention she was literally boiling everything in vegetable oil. UH!

I laughed with a friend because I used to eat everything now im ridiculously picky, to the point of annoyance.

Protein Bars? Picky!

shakes? Hate them now so I moved to mixable "watery" type protein sources like Isopure. Only flavor I like is Grape.

eggs? Yuck!

Soups? Picky as heck! Pretty much only vegetable minestrone no noodles. BC noodles taste like rubber to me.

Deli meat? Too much for me threw that up. System cant handle it.

chicken? Barely able to get it down.

Tried the infamous "Real Good Foods" & "Halo Top Ice Cream" both didn't agree with me at all.

So what am I living on? Chicken salad (tiny bit), tuna salad, ham salad (any kind of salad mayo type), Isopure Zero Carb, Quest Bars (ultra picky with these too), Quest Protein chips, Amy's Chili & Minestrone Veggie Soup, green Beans, Salmon (any types of fatty fish), Caulipower pizza, still looking for the perfect organic green juice with low fruit sugars even cold pressed like Buda Juice. Need to check the macros on it.

Just as an FYI - My surgery was 7/30 so im not super recent but it hasnt been very long either.

Edited by GeminiSky

Everything has been turned upside down.. even the wrong consistency makes me want yack...some shakes I can't swallow... anything with artificial sugar makes me ill. ..I'm 4 weeks out and broth is my go to still...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using BariatricPal mobile app

What broths do you like? I’m 8 days out and trying to find some variety ..

I’m 3 days post op and my tastes have changed. I used to put fruit punch Mio in my Water and it tastes bitter now. My go to Greek yogurt was pills triple 9 chocolate and that tastes terrible now. I’m also craving tuna and eggs (not together) which I’ve always hated and real crunchy iceberg lettuce.

Almost 4 weeks post OP and I have pretty much an aversion to everything. I used to love spicy ethnic foods. Now the only thing I enjoy the taste of is ice water... Everything else just tastes "off" to me. Granted I'm still on a soft diet, but I haven't found anything that doesnt leave me with a bad taste in my mouth and nausea afterwards...

Craving pickles and mustard.... neither of which I liked before. I just want that tart hit!

I'm so glad it's not just me! lol. I had my RNY 8/17/18 (so just about 2 1/2 months ago) and no matter what form I cook it in, what I add to it condiment wise, or however I try to spice it, chicken tastes like ass. I LOVED chicken pre op. Now it makes me wanna gag. I went through a phase up until this last month where i couldn't STAND the taste of Protein shakes...like any kind, i tried many brands and flavors. Now I can tolerate premier, but ONLY if it's warm (like a hot chocolate). if it's cold i wanna gag. I'm so picky lol.

I also loved literally anything seafood pre op. Now, fish is still good (thank god!) but any other seafood (Crap, shrimp, lobster) tastes like crap. It breaks my heart lol

I haven't tried many things as I tend to kinda stick within my realm of things I know work. But luckily some tastes stayed good, like tuna is good, I LOVE zucchini and squash cooked. Turkey meat is hit or miss with me...sometimes it's ok but mostly makes me wanna gag. I can't eat beef, I can't drink normal milk (developed a lactose to it, but cheese is still ok).

SUCH a weird change lol

I'm six months post sleeve. Tastes definitely changed. After bland liquid diet, funnel diet, soft food stage ect. And I would also like to mention I stayed in those phases a little longer just to be on the safe side....my taste buds have definately changed. Use to love tuna before surgery, now post surgery has super strong fishy taste to me. Love fruit now since its sweet and juicy. Watermelon being my fav food!! Frozen, canned or processed foods turn me off, have no desire to eat. Have no desire or cravings to ever go thru a drive thru again. Hope that lasts for quite sometime. Tried one bite of Pasta. Had weird sponge flavorless texture, not for me. bread is the same. I eat yogurt everyday and love flavors I did not before. Use to absolutely hate carrots and now love the crunch and can eat them every day. My tastes have definitely changed and I believe its from the initial change of diet post surgery. So happy for the changes! I'm so blessed to have met my surgeon who made it all possible and affordable. Love love blossom barriatrics in las Vegas!!

Ok so I keep reading about taste preferences changing after surgery- something you once loved to eat or drink and now cannot stand even the thought of it post op. Science can't explain it. Tell us your experience with this strange phenomenon....

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Cott@ge cheese, I used to 💔 it, ate oodles of it prior to surgery, now Precious Pouch repels and forcibly repulsed it. Lets see,how my endoscopy November 9th,does, Maybe just Maybe I will OPEN UP enough to get some value from it?😕😯😪

Cott@ge cheese, I used to [emoji174] it, ate oodles of it prior to surgery, now Precious Pouch repels and forcibly repulsed it. Lets see,how my endoscopy November 9th,does, Maybe just Maybe I will OPEN UP enough to get some value from it?[emoji53][emoji54][emoji25]
Cottage cheese....same with me. Loved it before and now do not ever eat it. Texture is now weird and gross to me and the taste is weird.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

I like eggs more now than I did previously and eat them pretty often.

I actually enjoy diced tomatoes, cucumbers are DELICIOUS, love pickles, baby carrots dipped in Helluva good French onion dip, hard boiled eggs on my salads.

I couldn't tolerate spicy foods very well before surgery and now I love pepper jack, and jalapeno everything.

Edited by samantha814

Hmm I don't like steak as much. If I do eat steak it has to be a nice cut of Filet Mignon because I gained "snobby buds" according to my husband haha!

Also sweet things make me gag now. I struggle with hot cocoa oddly enough. Used to love the stuff. I also can't drink ANY form of flavored Creamer. Milk or half/half in my coffee maybe but any other type is terrible. I also can't add sugar to my coffee. I don't usually but sometimes when someone orders one for me they will grab me a regular (new England speak for coffee with cream and sugar) and it's gag worthy.