Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow is my first meeting with my surgeon.



Recommended Posts

I'm going to be discussing with him the right surgery for me. I weigh in the 350 range and I'm really thinking about gastric bypass.

It's going to be at least 6 months because of my insurance but I think the nutrition classes will do me some good.

I hope everything goes well. I've NEVER been skinny. I've been down in the mid-200s but never lower as an adult. I'm already picking out clothes and it's going to be another 2 years before I am anywhere near my goal!

Also, for the guys who are starting/started around my weight, what did you pick for your goal weight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck! Write your questions down !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I weighed around 340 when I started. My goal weight was 210, I got down to 175 and currently weigh about 190 (building muscle). My advice is to really take advantage of the 6 months you have before surgery - there are a lot of new habits to form and you may as well start now! I also had the gastric bypass. #NoRegrets

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did your appointment go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, axlr8n said:

I weighed around 340 when I started. My goal weight was 210, I got down to 175 and currently weigh about 190 (building muscle). My advice is to really take advantage of the 6 months you have before surgery - there are a lot of new habits to form and you may as well start now! I also had the gastric bypass. #NoRegrets

Thank you for asking.

Everything went great. Spoke to the dietician, she gave me some guidelines on what to go by. They want me to lose 25 pounds by March. My wife and I (who is doing the surgery too) have both lost 14 pounds in just over 2 weeks.

We also had or psych eval, which also went great. We go back on the 19th for our next nutrition class. All is well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, axlr8n said:

I weighed around 340 when I started. My goal weight was 210, I got down to 175 and currently weigh about 190 (building muscle). My advice is to really take advantage of the 6 months you have before surgery - there are a lot of new habits to form and you may as well start now! I also had the gastric bypass. #NoRegrets

Certainly working on eating less, which hasn't been a problem, I've been on diets all my life and I have a good idea on what to eat and to avoid. We both use an app called Baritastic which you can log your food and it helps you keep in your calorie range.

I'm also working on eating slower, that's always been a trouble area for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 0:47 PM, jrsone said:

Certainly working on eating less, which hasn't been a problem, I've been on diets all my life and I have a good idea on what to eat and to avoid. We both use an app called Baritastic which you can log your food and it helps you keep in your calorie range.

I'm also working on eating slower, that's always been a trouble area for me.

dude, in all honesty, you are going to rock it. it will be easy for you. i can tell you "get it" just by your responses here.

don't fear the surgery, don't fear the aftermath. i think the worst part about this for you is how long you have to wait to get it!

if you read *most* of this forum, and all they do is b***h about how HAAAARD it is and what a JOURNEY it is, wah wah wah. :47_tired_face: :56_anguished::48_weary:

um, no. i was 370 when i started this and i'm down 100lbs since my surgery in June and it's the easiest thing in the world. hard is being overweight. trying to track calories, worrying about carb:fat ratios, working out when you're a size 4X... you know the drill. easy is not being interested in eating very often, but when you are, you just eat generally healthy food until your body says to stop. i am constantly amazed how laser-precise my hunger signals are. if i did a big lifting weights workout in the morning, i can finish most of a Chipotle salad w/ chicken and Beans later that day. but if i've been sitting on my ass all day, i can barely eat two bites of anything and body's like "nah dude". it is so cool.

be excited. and best of luck to you. your life is about to take off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh btw - you asked about "goal weight"...

i personally think it's kind of a stupid concept. your body will get down to what it wants to get down to, largely based on genetics. some people like axlr8n go a little lower than they'd prefer, some don't get down far enough.

my arbitrary goal weight is 220. but if weight loss stopped TODAY and i never budged below 275, i'd still get the surgery 100 times over! because life at 275 is that many times better than it is at 375.

and... if i get all the way down to 200, i'll be happy there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, JohnnyCakes said:

dude, in all honesty, you are going to rock it. it will be easy for you. i can tell you "get it" just by your responses here.

don't fear the surgery, don't fear the aftermath. i think the worst part about this for you is how long you have to wait to get it!

if you read *most* of this forum, and all they do is b***h about how HAAAARD it is and what a JOURNEY it is, wah wah wah. :47_tired_face: :56_anguished::48_weary:

um, no. i was 370 when i started this and i'm down 100lbs since my surgery in June and it's the easiest thing in the world. hard is being overweight. trying to track calories, worrying about carb:fat ratios, working out when you're a size 4X... you know the drill. easy is not being interested in eating very often, but when you are, you just eat generally healthy food until your body says to stop. i am constantly amazed how laser-precise my hunger signals are. if i did a big lifting weights workout in the morning, i can finish most of a Chipotle salad w/ chicken and Beans later that day. but if i've been sitting on my ass all day, i can barely eat two bites of anything and body's like "nah dude". it is so cool.

be excited. and best of luck to you. your life is about to take off.

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate that.

Today is my 2nd nutrition class (6 month program). We will weigh in and then have the class.

According to my scale at home I've lost 15-20 pounds. I'm hoping for some good pre-op weight loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Certainly working on eating less, which hasn't been a problem, I've been on diets all my life and I have a good idea on what to eat and to avoid. We both use an app called Baritastic which you can log your food and it helps you keep in your calorie range.
I'm also working on eating slower, that's always been a trouble area for me.


I found that app overly complex and too many menus to drill down. For example, I don't need to track my bowel movements, do I ( never read of anyone doing that)? I know it has a when to drink timer and s chewing/bite timer... but I really don't need that, maybe immediately pre it post op. Fitness pal is the easiest app. Have to pay for the premium subscription to customize diets, but it's good and has a functioning desktop web version.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you read *most* of this forum, and all they do is b***h about how HAAAARD it is, wah wah wah.


My favorite patch sold for hats, range bags and other gear, is "Just Suffer".

I need to get that out.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×