Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band to Sleeve revision journey (ongoing)!

I rescheduled my Upper GI. It's going to be this Friday the 29th! I'm glad I get to have it done before I see the surgeon on the 3rd.

Something that could throw my revision off course..........my husband has been wanting to find a a new job for awhile now. His commute is HORRID. It's only about 45 minutes BUT traffic is so bad. It's always 90 minutes to and from and he's been doing it for 5 years now and he's just done (so am I). He's got some interviews coming up and whether he gets one of those jobs or not chances are he'll get a new job before my surgery. I'm praying to God that the insurance is better and not worse!

Ok so we can check the Upper GI (barium swallow) off the list as well as blood work. The doctor who performed the upper gi said that the band looked good, no slippage BUT I do have a hiatal hernia (not surprised). I guess we'll see what the surgeon says on Tuesday. FX my BMI is up to 35.

Loking great! Keep up with your goal weight... curious to know after 3 years how is your food intake ? How many oz you eat per meal?

20 minutes ago, Back2fit said:

Loking great! Keep up with your goal weight... curious to know after 3 years how is your food intake ? How many oz you eat per meal?

Well I'm 8 years poat op from the lap band. Honestly, I can't recall how much I could eat 3yrs post op.

My meeting with the surgeon went really well today. He's confident that he can do the lap band to sleeve revision and accomplish it in one surgery. He says 95% of the time he's able to the sleeve on his lap band patients but will do bypass with my approval if need be.

Another piece of good news is that I was able to get my BMI to 35.8 so I don't have any issues there anymore. Now I just have to complete the at home sleep study and hopefully still have sleep apnea. I shouldn't have any problems getting approved if I do. After approval I will schedule the upper endoscopy so that he can check for a erosion. Excessive erosion would be the only reason he would have to do a two-part surgery. He says that has only happened to him one time.

So I'm about to call the Sleep Lab again and find out what's going on and get this going!

Hi there, good luck with your consultation. I had a lap band in 2011 and lost 90lbs, however after complications I managed to gain all but 5 lbs. back. I just had my band removed and revised to a gastric sleeve 8/25/17 and so far have lost 23 lbs. Weight loss is slower with a secondary procedure (I'm a bariatric program coordinator, too :)) and I really hope that I can get a good amount of weight off.

1 hour ago, Stella Hartsell said:

Hi there, good luck with your consultation. I had a lap band in 2011 and lost 90lbs, however after complications I managed to gain all but 5 lbs. back. I just had my band removed and revised to a gastric sleeve 8/25/17 and so far have lost 23 lbs. Weight loss is slower with a secondary procedure (I'm a bariatric program coordinator, too :)) and I really hope that I can get a good amount of weight off.

Congrats on your lost thus far!

Okay so I just scheduled my at home sleep study for October 13th! Fingers crossed!

I pick up my gear tomorrow for my at home sleep study! I'm not looking forward to it. Those sleep masks keep me awake all night. However, I'm confident I have sleep apnea so I'm "excited" to find that out so we can submit to insurance.

I also just made my appt for what my hospital calls a "half day consult", it's October 31st. I forget all it entails but I remember having to do it with the band back in 09. You are there for like 4hrs and it's like a little class on the procedure and what to expect after. It's usually with 3-4 other people having it done as well.

Of course if I don't have apnea I am going to cancel because there would be no point. If I don't have apnea insurance is not going to cover the surgery. Fingers crossed!

I pick up my gear tomorrow for my at home sleep study! I'm not looking forward to it. Those sleep masks keep me awake all night. However, I'm confident I have sleep apnea so I'm "excited" to find that out so we can submit to insurance.
I also just made my appt for what my hospital calls a "half day consult", it's October 31st. I forget all it entails but I remember having to do it with the band back in 09. You are there for like 4hrs and it's like a little class on the procedure and what to expect after. It's usually with 3-4 other people having it done as well.
Of course if I don't have apnea I am going to cancel because there would be no point. If I don't have apnea insurance is not going to cover the surgery. Fingers crossed!

I was in the same boat. Praying for sleep apnea but it turned out I didn't have it.

Heck I "may" or "may not" have prayed fory doctor to find high blood pressure or that my labs came back with high blood sugar. Anything that the insurance would accept. Everything came back perfect...

However since it was a revision LB to sleeve we were requesting, my doctor was able to show that since the band was not working I had gained back over 65% of what I lost putting my BMI at 37.

My cholesterol is 279.

My mother died from obesity related heart issues and diabetes at the age of 51 which is mainly why getting my health under control now it's so important to me.

So with all that info my insurance finally approved it. Good luck! I wish you success in your endeavors. Here's my cyborg pic 🤣🤣 taken in May 2017.

12662.jpeg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, TheNewMrsR said:

I was in the same boat. Praying for sleep apnea but it turned out I didn't have it.

Heck I "may" or "may not" have prayed fory doctor to find high blood pressure or that my labs came back with high blood sugar. Anything that the insurance would accept. Everything came back perfect...

However since it was a revision LB to sleeve we were requesting, my doctor was able to show that since the band was not working I had gained back over 65% of what I lost putting my BMI at 37.

My cholesterol is 279.

My mother died from obesity related heart issues and diabetes at the age of 51 which is mainly why getting my health under control now it's so important to me.

So with all that info my insurance finally approved it. Good luck! I wish you success in your endeavors. Here's my cyborg pic 🤣🤣 taken in May 2017.

12662.jpeg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh my goodness look at you! I think you beat me in this science experiment department LOL! I'm so happy that you got approved. I hope I have similar luck!

Okay so the sleep study is done and it wasn't that bad! It went to bed early and slept from about 8:30 to 1:30 and then the baby woke up. It was a bad night for him lol he didn't go back to sleep until 4:30. I stayed in bed, thankfully my husband took care of him but I still couldn't sleep hearing them awake. I finally fell back to sleep around 4:30 and got up at 6:30 so I hope that was enough recording time for them!

The technician told me yesterday that it takes a couple weeks for the results, I'm not sure why it takes so long? I have about 2 weeks until my half day consultation. I need the results before that consultation because I'm not going to go to the consultation if I'm negative. I don't think there's any other way I'll qualify. I'm fairly confident that I have apnea though. I wake up countless times a night and my poor husband says I snore like crazy LOL.

I just got a bill from my hospital for everything I've had done so far (minus the sleep test). Over $1,000! At this rate I'm so close to my deductible I'm hoping I can have the surgery late 2017!