Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Love Your Surgeon? Did You Like Them?

1 hour ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

I did not say that.

You drew that assumption.

If the teacher is properly qualified, has an in-depth subject knowledge, runs lessons to the curriculum/syllabus mandated by the state and the education district, has mandatory Level III First Aid and Emergency Care training and, as well, is "safe" in all respects to work with children, that is great.

That any teacher can bond 100% with 20-32 individuals in their class these days is nigh on impossible. With mandated state and national testing the big focus of school systems these days, the best teachers do their best to be fair, organised and entertaining to kids of diverse social, ethnic and economic backgrounds. We just hope that ALL the children possible will be on task and stay on task so that the educational leader (teacher) gets them through the range of knowledge, skills and experiences required.

My grandkids all like school but they are all different but they are polite and friendly and are shown that in return. I chip in by doing reading support for three hours on one day and physical education support for two hours on another day.

Schools are brimming with refuse-niks and misfits these days ... kids who bring their home hang-ups and eccentricities to school. The teachers at the primary and high school where the grandkids go do their 100% whenever I see them interacting.

- - -

As for being "a while for me", and you only being 26, I might say I am in my sixties but I can remember back to every Thursday afternoon and every Tuesday morning since the last summer vacation when I have done my volunteer hours at the schools in question.

I was also there (at my eldest grandchild's high school) last autumn vacation for three of the sixteen days helping out the grounds-staff with my pressure sprayer and leaf-blower.

I am very much in touch with schools and education.

Lol. "That any teacher can bond 100% with 20-32 individuals in their class these days is nigh on impossible." - Who said every child? I am afraid, I disagree there is a . level of bonding with the children even on a small level, if you think back to the start of a 5 year old starting reception and you think the teacher won't bond with that child lol There is nothing to debate here. I have a 4 and 5 year old. And weldone you pop into class every no and again, but anyway weldone for your volunteer hours lol. But whether you want to agree or disagree.

I am sure you saw alot while you were doing your leaf blowing to have a better view of school and education that me whos in uni and has kids in school. My apologies :P

"schools are full of *i dont know what the first word is you said* Misfits" - Thats abit mean lol They may be misfits for now, but we all find our place :)

"If the teacher is properly qualified, has an in-depth subject knowledge, runs lessons to the curriculum/syllabus mandated by the state and the education district, has mandatory Level III First Aid and Emergency Care training and, as well, is "safe" in all respects to work with children," That is not enough. Its a complete joke that you do not think it also requires a special touch to do certain roles.

Its like nurses, they have all the quals but you know make you feel good about your stay in hospital, and some make you feel like your a complete no body and are not paying attention to your actual needs. Both have qualifications , but you need more than that.

Anyway I am not responding further to you as your in a mind frame of " I know everything I am right" When in reality I think yoru right for your own needs sure, but the reality is thats not the case people looking for people in these roles are not just looking at there qualifactions on paper they look at how they come across in person whether they are warm and engaging etc. Just because that is not what you require does not mean that is not what is being looked for as others clearly feel it inhances the role .

A child who for example is having difficulty in school and doesnt apply themselves that teacher that they bond with or they feel special about increases there chances of being able to apply themselves when they find a teacher they can connect with, you can disagree with this all you like but I have seen it many times, it for sure isnt the highest qualified teacher that always manages to get results from a problematic child.

Or its not always the most qualified nurse that gets the best results for example, holistically well being is important in the school environment , if a teacher comes across quite cold and yes very clever and whats results, that may not yeild the best results, as a teacher who is not the highest qualified but is warm and has a way with children, some teachers are better with children than others.

My view is a different view to yours, mine is not wrong, its right based on my experiance, yours is right based on ... well your experiance. Great. I do think teachers have changed alot since your day though, that isn't an insult lol I know here were I am teachers have changed and are alot nicer according to the old ladies I talk to lol but change is good I think.

Anyway all the best :)

Edited by dreamingsmall

After much research I love my doctor.

Edited by CrissCriss

Love is too strong a word.

I respect the skills of the doctor and what he's done for me and the level of pre-inspection and planning he put into it. He was confident he could help and he knew his role well.

He was a good communicator and was easily able to explain what he wanted from me to make his job most effective.

I'm pleased that my GP chose this particular surgeon. My feedback to the GP will be that Dr Mark Gately was an 'excellent fit' for me.

On 9/16/2017 at 6:30 PM, CJ Sunshine said:

I hope not! My surgeon is brilliant and considered one of the best, but I wouldn't call him the warm and fuzzy type! However, he is smart enough to have hired warm fuzzy types to run his office...the PA, nutritionist and other staff all have giant smiles!

Haha Dr. Roslin is definitely not the warm and fuzzy type but I felt totally confident in his hands and I'm feeling great. And yes, his team is great, esp Nicole the PA!

Haha Dr. Roslin is definitely not the warm and fuzzy type but I felt totally confident in his hands and I'm feeling great. And yes, his team is great, esp Nicole the PA!

Agreed. I had/have total confidence in him and I do believe he genuinely cares about his patients. So far, I too have had a great recovery.

I barely know my surgeon, I had a phone call with him before surgery but didnt meet him until 24hrs after the operation. I can't say I love him, but I love what he did :-)

I don't think liking or loving your surgeon is important, I think that what IS important is that mutual respect is shown. If you research well and you're comfortable with who you have chosen then that's enough (for me).

3 hours ago, three79 said:

I can't say I love him, but I love what he did :-)

Ditto that. Well said.

3 hours ago, three79 said:

I don't think liking or loving your surgeon is important, I think that what IS important is that mutual respect is shown.

Exactly ... she/he treats me well as a patient/customer. I respect the years of preparation and training that she/he has done in the years leading up to my surgery.

I pay any fees promptly. I verify that the health insurance company transfers moneys to the surgeon, the anaesthetist and the clinic/hospital.

She/he gives good follow-up care in the 9-15 months post-op.

Too easy!

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

(Sorry, website hiccuped and it posted this 3 times!)

Edited by jessgnc
Feel free to delete. Website hiccuped, got posted 3x.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:24 PM, ChaosUnlimited said:

I looked at reviews and feedback on the surgeons in the practice before choosing, but what I truly loved was that at all of my appointments, my surgeon was available to me for questions, wasn't hurried, and listened to my concerns. I actually brought a list of questions to my second visit and he sat and went through every question on my paper, lol. I do love my surgeon, he is great.

As an FYI, I haven't seen him since my hospital stay after surgery, I usually see one of his PA's for follow up, which is fine with me because there are only two of them and they are both amazing as well.

Chaos and I had the same surgeon and I agree with her assessment 100%. I personally adore my surgeon. I did a lot of research beforehand and picked mine over the other 2 in the practice simply because he mentioned something that I had a passion for. He was wonderful though. This was a non-mandatory surgery for me. I've had surgery in the past and I was indifferent to my doctor. I just wanted someone competent to cut me open, since I'd probably never see them once I was healed. For this, it is a long term relationship with a doctor and a practice. I wanted to make sure I didn't dread going to the office.

So tl;dr, I do love my doctor! He is professional, one of the top surgeons in his field and really took the time to get to know me and provide me with personalized medical treatment. The same applies to his PA's, who are both outstanding.

@Nancy MBGC - LOL! That certainly helps. Mine looks like Andre from The League!

Edited by jessgnc

I like my surgeon. I've seen him at every appointment and follow up. He pushes me and sometimes I get frustrated but I know his personality now so I'm used to it. I did a lot of research which surgeon to go with and it was a big help that my hubby worked with him numerous times in the OR and trusted him. He will be doing my Gallbladder surgery next month so I clearly trust his ability and skills.

Honestly, many surgeons are not known to be the most personable but they typically deal less with the patients themselves. My OBGYN for example, I love her but I saw her probably 30 times while I was pregnant at least, plus follow up and every year for maintenance so it's a different kind of environment with surgeons. I've seen my surgeon maybe 6 times, in the same amount of time, didn't even see him the day of surgery or for follow up, his colleague saw me.