Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely Terrified of my impending procedure this Tuesday

First off,

Hello, my name is Jacob and i am new to this forum and to this website...

I am scheduled for this Tuesday at 7:30 AM to have a Gastric Bypass procedure done by a Dale A. Sloan in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

He has never lost a patient on the operating table during his 38+ years as a surgeon but i am unsure if he means for WLS or all surgery because he used to do organ transplants and heart surgery as well.

He only accepts the best team members on his surgical team and he has won an award at a Laparoscopic competition.

I am absolutely terrified that i wont wake up, that ill bleed out, that I'll have a heart attack on the table... Just really specific and almost hysterical fears that have left me in a constant state of panic and anxiety all weekend.

In truth i am remarkably healthy and only have Diabetes that requires Meds which i take diligently, i have no known heart issues or blood pressure problems to speak of.

As it says in my profile i am 31 years old, 366 pounds, used to be 400 before the diet to lose 15 pounds.

I had an EKG done and it was completely normal, i didn't get a stress test but i think maybe i should have.

Am i over worrying for no good reason or are my fears justified?

I mean as of now i am writing letters to my loved ones saying my goodbyes and recording a video!

Yes i am that crazy!

I have had 2-3 surgeries almost 17-20 years ago for deviated septum so i know that Anesthesia has advanced quite a bit and i had a colonoscopy less than a year ago!

I know that people who are 300-400 pounds heavier than me get this surgery quite frequently and do okay... So i know it's irrational to freak out this much but i know it's my last option before i eventually kill myself!

Hi Jacob! Welcome to the group! I'm new here too and I am pre-surgery. However, I'm kinda a special case. I had my stomach stapled back in 1990 and have a HUGH scar from my breast bone to my belly button. I'm not afraid of this surgery after THAT nightmare!

Jacob, you got this!!!!! As a matter of fact you are very lucky to have a surgeon who has diverse skills. Trust him and trust the Lord that you will wake up and start your new life! You are in good hands!

7 minutes ago, celticNgel said:

Hi Jacob! Welcome to the group! I'm new here too and I am pre-surgery. However, I'm kinda a special case. I had my stomach stapled back in 1990 and have a HUGH scar from my breast bone to my belly button. I'm not afraid of this surgery after THAT nightmare!

Jacob, you got this!!!!! As a matter of fact you are very lucky to have a surgeon who has diverse skills. Trust him and trust the Lord that you will wake up and start your new life! You are in good hands!

Thank you for your response, I know that deep down i am in extremely talented and good hands and the risk of me dying is less than 0.1 percent. The risk is probably for patients who are 590+ pounds... Thank you for your kind words and yes, i need to just trust in the lord!

Having anxiety and bipolar 2 is a real curse at times!

i understand! My anxiety is off the hook, so I struggle too. How about this, we'll struggle together!!! Please let me know how your doing after! I'll be praying for you!

1 minute ago, celticNgel said:

i understand! My anxiety is off the hook, so I struggle too. How about this, we'll struggle together!!! Please let me know how your doing after! I'll be praying for you!

You got it... I'll pray for both of us!

Hi Jacob - I too had a few fears in the days leading up to my procedure and even cried the morning of as I was waiting (I didn't wait too long). I said a little prayer and let the fear go. In here 13 weeks later and 78 lbs. lighter, my three co-morbidities gone! Waking up from anesthesia was the hardest part for me because of nausea. Understand there will be pain and discomfort for a few weeks but it subsides. Trust your team of experts, follow your plan, get your walking in and you'll do fine. Best of luck to you for a safe journey and speedy recovery!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, Iconcinnity said:

Hi Jacob - I too had a few fears in the days leading up to my procedure and even cried the morning of as I was waiting (I didn't wait too long). I said a little prayer and let the fear go. In here 13 weeks later and 78 lbs. lighter, my three co-morbidities gone! Waking up from anesthesia was the hardest part for me because of nausea. Understand there will be pain and discomfort for a few weeks but it subsides. Trust your team of experts, follow your plan, get your walking in and you'll do fine. Best of luck to you for a safe journey and speedy recovery!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you... I'd have a last minute beer but i don't want to thin my blood with alcohol!

Everything is going to be fine.

It is normal to be scared.

I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I was scared going into surgery.

Everything went fine.

Ask the Anesthesiologist to give you something in your IV to relax before being put under.

Surgery is going to be the easy part, all you have to do is show up.

Adjusting to life after surgery is when the hard part starts.

I am 38 years old, 6 foot 1 and was 400 pounds on day of surgery.

Had no issues.

I had gastric sleeve not bypass.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

Everything is going to be fine.

It is normal to be scared.

I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I was scared going into surgery.

Everything went fine.

Ask the Anesthesiologist to give you something in your IV to relax before being put under.

Surgery is going to be the easy part, all you have to do is show up.

Adjusting to life after surgery is when the hard part starts.

I am 38 years old, 6 foot 1 and was 400 pounds on day of surgery.

Had no issues.

I had gastric sleeve not bypass.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

I know... i'm not going to back out now. I've never been skinny before so this should be interesting... clothes won't cost me $80 a piece anymore!

Bahahahaha! Way to go Jacob, Never Never Never let go of that sense of humor!

On Tuesday morning I want you to look in the mirror and tell yourself "You got this Jacob! You are strong and you are on your way to a whole new journey that will end up at the end of the rainbow!!!!"

3 minutes ago, celticNgel said:

Bahahahaha! Way to go Jacob, Never Never Never let go of that sense of humor!

On Tuesday morning I want you to look in the mirror and tell yourself "You got this Jacob! You are strong and you are on your way to a whole new journey that will end up at the end of the rainbow!!!!"

Well i already know I'm strong when i can gallop up a flight of stares with a couch on top of my shoulders with the cushions still attached. But i see what you are saying and i just need a swift kick in the butt (From myself) to keep my nerve in check.

Jacob-

You are in good hands with your surgeon and God! Everything will be fine.

I also am having gastric bypass surgery on Tuesday. I am nervous and excited, anxious. I am in Oregon and having surgery at Kaiser Sunnyside in Clackamas with Dr. Leger - he is the head of the bariatric team and has performed many of these surgeries.

You and I and the others will be fine. The real work starts after.

Good luck and I will pray for you as well!

Keep us posted!

9 hours ago, Jheckman1986 said:

Am i over worrying for no good reason or are my fears justified?

Work from the premise (as I do) that when I go to work each day, I do the best I can with my innate ability and my many years of training and my decades of experience.

You do the same, I presume? You go to work and you do your job right and you treat the people around you well?

Put that same faith and respect in this surgeon of yours. He seems capable and greatly experienced. Wind your worries and anxieties back a few cogs.

Fewer than 1 in 220 gastric surgeries in westernised countries cause death. Your chances are amazing.

Good luck on your surgery. And remember to take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success. Also after surgery remember to walk, walk, walk while you are in the hospital.