Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting weight loss from pre-op vs. Post-op

My surgeon is counting my weight loss from my 2 week pre-op prep (liquid diet), not from my day of surgery. Anyone else confused by which number to use?? I have my highest weight number, pre-op weight, and surgery date weight, lol, too many to figure out!

Lol. I have my starting weight on here listed as the highest weight I ever was, but I count from that and my surgery date (pretty much equal to end of pre-op weight.)

I'm counting from my highest weight--coincidentally, the weight I was the first time I saw the surgeon--to now. I lost it all--I'm taking credit for it!

46 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

I'm counting from my highest weight--coincidentally, the weight I was the first time I saw the surgeon--to now. I lost it all--I'm taking credit for it!

I agree with you! You deserve to count every pound!

I count from when I started the pre-op diet, which was 10 days prior to surgery.
That's what made sense to me given that's when there was an immediate and significant change in the management of my diet.

For me, mentally, emotionally and physically the start of the pre-op diet is when this journey began.

I count from my highest weight which is also when I saw my surgeon for first time. My surgeon required a 25 to 30 lb weight loss before surgery so I'm counting those pounds.
I also count my post surgery weight to give me perspective.
From Nov 2016 when I met surgeon to May 2017 surgery lost 51 lbs.
From surgery to today lost 38 lbs.
When I tell people...i say I've lost 89 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm counting my highest weight ever down to where I get to the SDW. Then will begin counting the #s from surgery day onward. Don't know how my surgeon is gonna do it. Even though it's almost a 17 year story, it still counts in horseshoes and hand grenades! These are the toughest 87+ lbs I've lost...since the last time I lost them. :angry: Today I'm at 50lbs loss (of my regain) since May 3.

I do both. I count from my highest till surgery, then from surgery till now. Every pound lost was hard won and we should count them!!

The most common reason to talk about the "start weight" is to figure out the goal weight post op.

When you go under the knife, your body has one set point, and when you wake up it has another.

So, to figure out what your preop set point is/was.. it's the weight that you were holding steady before the preop diet. Doesn't matter if the preop diet was 2 days long or 6 months long.

There is no way to tell for sure what your postop set point is until you get there. But, on average, if a sleeve patient is 100lbs overweight before the preop diet, then he should expect to lose around 65lbs from that weight. If he keeps working at it, he can lose more, but it won't necessarily be easy.

My weight before the preop diet was 305. 65% loss puts me at 210lbs. So that is my first goal. If I go below that, great! (After all, who wants to be average?). But to know that just because I had surgery, that 150lbs isn't guaranteed puts my head in the right space.

My pre-op weight (when I began the liquid diet) was 277. Day of surgery weight was 266. 17 days post-op and I'm 247! My Dr is thrilled with my results so far, and says I'm ahead of the game (and reminded me to expect stalls, lol). He says I've lost 30lbs according to his chart (in about a month). But it's only 19lbs since surgery date. I'm with y'all, every ounce counts so I'm definitely including all my weight loss in my total, lol! (FYI, highest weight a month before pre-op when I began walking & Portion Control was 283.) Lord have mercy, another number. Haha!

If someone were to ask me today right now how much I've lost, I'd say 30lbs since I started my journey....then I'd probably say 19 of that has been since surgery.

Really, who cares though, right?? I'm just so happy I'm finally losing! It's already so much easier to go for a walk!

I just keep a record of all the milestone weights

Highest weight: 191.2kg (421.5lbs) March, 2006

Start Weight: 174.6kg (384.9lbs) 17th July, 2017 (the day I met the surgeon)

Pre-Op Weight: 167.7 (369.7lbs) 4th September, 2017 (the day I started my pre-surgery diet; the day the surgeon announced that 12th October, 2017 as the day of my Gastric Sleeve operation.

Op Weight: ???? 12th October, 2017 ... my weight on the day of the op

Goal Weight: 74.6kg (164.5lbs) ... date unknown ... I just hope it's in early to mid 2019.

My surgeon is counting my weight loss from my 2 week pre-op prep (liquid diet), not from my day of surgery. Anyone else confused by which number to use?? I have my highest weight number, pre-op weight, and surgery date weight, lol, too many to figure out!

I would say the two week pre op is definitely part of your journey! I intend to count every single pound lost!! We earn those!

because I couldn't gain or lose weight this whole process my count will start from the first day of pre-op

I start from my high weight - the day I walked into their office, etc. I had a six month process, and thirty of these pounds came off during that time.

14 minutes ago, crocodoxie said:

I start from my high weight - the day I walked into their office, etc. I had a six month process, and thirty of these pounds came off during that time.

I think it depends on many things.

It should, in my case, be acknowledged that my highest ever weight was 11-12 years ago. 191.8kg.

Then, after many struggles with my weight and my realisation that I was "out of NORMAL options", I decided on the gastric sleeve and got my general practitioner to refer me to the surgeon.

So I acknowledge that I was 174.6kg this July when I met the surgeon & dietitian.

They asked me to meet several other medical professionals to assess my suitability and to prove a commitment to shrinking my liver. So when I went back after five weeks (last Monday) I was 167.7kg and my surgery date (Thur Oct 12th) was selected.)

My next milestone will be my weight on the morning of Oct 12th.

And my goal weight/target is 74.6kg. (I originally set 88kg in 2006 and 81kg in 2014 but now have a goal under the BMI end-zone of 25.