Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Stretching is a Myth

To add on about sliders...

Think about foods you can crush so that the amount you start and end with are vastly different. I can take a whole box of cheezits and grind them down to maybe 1/4 c of crumbs, yeah? Well that's what happens in your stomach. So you can fit a whole box in! Whereas chicken is chicken and you can't crush it and make it less.

Calorie laden drinks are also sliders because they literally take up NO room.

To add on about sliders...

Think about foods you can crush so that the amount you start and end with are vastly different. I can take a whole box of cheezits and grind them down to maybe 1/4 c of crumbs, yeah? Well that's what happens in your stomach. So you can fit a whole box in! Whereas chicken is chicken and you can't crush it and make it less.

Calorie laden drinks are also sliders because they literally take up NO room.

On 9/5/2017 at 0:03 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

RNY pouches can definitely stretch though. and they can make extended stomachs at the top of the intestine.

and MORE deliberate misinformation about the RNY procedure from the sleever-with-an-agenda-in-chief.

you are an endless source of this crap, aren't you?

4 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but--

The fundus is the stretchy part. It is removed during vertical sleeve surgery.

Early out the sleeve is swollen. It take several months for the swelling to be completely gone. That's is the "stretching" that occurs.

The rest is eating habits and sliders.

THIS

How much a person can eat prior to 6 months is not their real size or restriction. You are not healed until 6 months post-op. That is your real restriction.

My first soft food was scrambled eggs. I had 2 bites and was done. That was not my real restriction or capacity. One scrambled eggs are gross and I never eat them, I was forcing myself because they were on my list. Also they hurt like hell because my sleeve was swollen.

4 ounces of dense Protein is supposed to be our capacity. It also happens to be the proper serving size of protein that EVERYONE, not just WLS patients are supposed to be eating.

There is no stretching of a properly formed sleeve. Just possible bad surgeons and poor food choices and eating habits.

As far as sliders, in addition to whatever the other posters have said. You can make anything a slider by drinking and eating at the same time, even steak.

You can click on his name and see his activity. Like most people that post here and cause a ton of drama, he never came back.

If stomach stretching is a myth, perhaps those of us who have regained some can be reimagined as mythical beasts. The make up woukd take all day. ...

If stomach stretching is a myth, perhaps those of us who have regained some can be reimagined as mythical beasts. The make up woukd take all day. ...

Why do you think stomach stretching is the only explanation for regain? There are many--eating habits & sliders, food choices & grazing can all lead to regain with a smaller stomach.

You also rely a lot on the studies that show what percent of people regain. That includes people who gain 5 from their bottom and rebound to a new set point as well as those who regain a significant portion of their weight lost. Those are completely different in my eyes.

Also as has been pointed out, not all surgeons perform the surgery to best practices. If they don't remove all the fundus it can definitely stretch. But if it's completely removed it doesn't stretch, that's the stretchy part.

You regained on 4 to 6 ounces lean dense Protein per meal?

Like I already stated.

I can eat tons of junk if I choose to. If eat what I am supposed to, my capacity is the same. That is not a stretched sleeve. I can't blame poor food choices on my sleeve, that is my fault.

@jess9395 i was making a joke.

18 hours ago, jess9395 said:

omg...thank you so much for explaining this! I thought sliders where more liquid things like Soups that don't stay in the stomach long because they slide through due to their "wettness" I had no idea Cookies and chips were sliders too!

On 9/5/2017 at 4:25 AM, dashofsunshine said:

I'll be 3 years post op I'm November, 170 lbs lost.

I still can *barely* eat 4 oz of food. Most of my meals are 3 oz and I'm stuffed. This is of anything - Protein, veggies, salad...anything.

In the early days before my swelling fully went down, I could eat maybe 2-3 bites of anything at a time. Now it's more like 5-6 bites - and it has been 5-6 bites for over 2 years now. Call that "stretching," if ya want? Lol

I never push it. I made this a lifestyle. I've experienced zero regain and have been maintaining under goal since 16 months post op.

Your post is inspiring! I am 5 weeks out and still worried that everything I do is wrong. I loved your outlook and positivity. It's good to hear from someone who's been successful and is continuing to make it work!

@jess9395 i was making a joke.

Ooooooh! Ok

I've read that the stretching feeling can also be due to a broken stoma, that no longer holds the food in the stomach, but just lets it slide straight to the intestine. It's a sphincter that is loosened with repetitive over eating. Anyone heard or know more?

HW 310 SW 299 CW 267

1 hour ago, Monasmle said:

I've read that the stretching feeling can also be due to a broken stoma, that no longer holds the food in the stomach, but just lets it slide straight to the intestine. It's a sphincter that is loosened with repetitive over eating. Anyone heard or know more?

Those of us with gastric sleeves don't have stomas because our anatomy, including the pyloric valve that separates the distal stomach from the small intestine, is left intact.

Since you have a gastric bypass, you do have a simple stoma that can definitely be stretched beyond the point of no return.