Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What influences the foods a person chooses and how much that person eats?

A) friends, family and environment

B) their stomach and intestines

C) their mind, thoughts and emotions

D) all of the above

At first I thought it was C... but then I went back and thought about it....

A) my nutritionist, mom, and boyfriend influence me to eat healthy.

B) if I eat a ton of cabbage and it gives me gas I won't eat much of it next time. If I eat sushi and it gives me food poisoning and turns my stomach, I won't eat it for a while or never again.

I feel like I'm thinking way too much into it... any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Bits said:

I feel like I'm thinking way too much into it... any thoughts?

I'd select option 'D': all of the above...

Friends, family, and environmental factors influence food choices. It's no secret that obesity is more prevalent in lower-income social circles and thinness is more prevalent in wealthier upper echelons of society. Some of these disparities are due to food costs, while other variances can be attributed to social norms.

If we've got health-conscious friends and family members, there's more social pressure to eat right and make reasonable choices. If our social circle is filled with overeaters, we'll stand out like a sore thumb if we skip the weekly Sunday brunch at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Our minds and emotions influence food choices. Most 'comfort foods' are starchy and highly palatable such as macaroni & cheese, loaded baked potatoes, and white bread grilled cheese sandwiches. These foods bestow comfort upon emotional eaters who eat to soothe anxieties and stress.

Our stomachs and intestines influence food choices. The greater curvature of the stomach produces the hunger hormone ghrelin, and so does the small intestine to a lesser extent. The gut also produces other hormones that affect hunger and satiety such as peptide YY and glp1.

I'd select option 'D': all of the above...
Friends, family, and environmental factors influence food choices. It's no secret that obesity is more prevalent in lower-income social circles and thinness is more prevalent in wealthier upper echelons of society. Some of these disparities are due to food costs, while other variances can be attributed to social norms.
If we've got health-conscious friends and family members, there's more social pressure to eat right and make reasonable choices. If our social circle is filled with overeaters, we'll stand out like a sore thumb if we skip the weekly Sunday brunch at the all-you-can-eat buffet.
Our minds and emotions influence food choices. Most 'comfort foods' are starchy and highly palatable such as macaroni & cheese, loaded baked potatoes, and white bread grilled cheese sandwiches. These foods bestow comfort upon emotional eaters who eat to soothe anxieties and stress.
Our stomachs and intestines influence food choices. The greater curvature of the stomach produces the hunger hormone ghrelin, and so does the small intestine to a lesser extent. The gut also produces other hormones that affect hunger and satiety such as peptide YY and glp1.< br>

Yes, option D is what I went with. I agree with what you said. A, B, and C are all factors that influence a persons eating habits. Thanks for your input :)

I would say all of the above so 'D'. All of them are factors in how we go about our individual eating habits. Now that my family is eating healthier as well I find it easier to stay on track. <3

This really has one answer. YOU! YOU choose what will influence you, YOU choose to fail, YOU choose to succeed. I feel, when you consider all of the other factors, you're building reasons to make excuses when you're responsible for it all. It all started w/ YOU and only YOU can determine how this whole process will work for you.

I agree with the above statements that all of them affect our choices of what we eat. But like heycrystal2052 has stated the obvious we are the link!! We make the decisions of what and how we follow our journey's. Our WLS is a tool but we have to do the work. And make the choices for our success. We alone are responsible to make it work. But with that said EVERYTHING affects how we will respond. It is totally easier to be successful losing our weight but the real work comes in MAINTENANCE. This is HARD trust me, while I was losing my weight and doing it fast I had no problem staying motivated. All I can say it is real work.

This really has one answer. YOU! YOU choose what will influence you, YOU choose to fail, YOU choose to succeed. I feel, when you consider all of the other factors, you're building reasons to make excuses when you're responsible for it all. It all started w/ YOU and only YOU can determine how this whole process will work for you.

Well of course I do. I wanted the answer to the question I stated to be one of the options I provided.

This question is part of 20 that I have to turn into my psychologist before my psych evaluation. Just wanted your input and thoughts on it. I understand it is a tool. I understand that I am in control; that is not an option for an answer though......

8 hours ago, Bits said:

This question is part of 20 that I have to turn into my psychologist before my psych evaluation. Just wanted your input and thoughts on it. I understand it is a tool. I understand that I am in control; that is not an option for an answer though......

Ah, I thought you were asking for yourself. If that's the case, I'd go with A. I'm surprised, they let you take the questionnaire home, to me, that's takes away from the eval.

For a questionnaire, it's D.

I was gonna say for me, it's education. Learning about what we need vs what the foods provide.

But preop when I wasn't paying attention, it was more A than anything else.