Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Premier - On the worst of Proteins, list? O.o

Darn. I just bought 100 shakes.

Still cussin' over here about this...

gwbicster, that just SUX!!! Big Green ONES! (Am I yellin' cut I feel like I am!?!)

I don't get it. The problem with DATEM is that sometimes it's made with PHOs, but Premier doesn't use PHOs. So if they don't use PHOs, why the angst?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using BariatricPal mobile app

14 hours ago, jrmoseley said:

I don't get it. The problem with DATEM is that sometimes it's made with PHOs, but Premier doesn't use PHOs. So if they don't use PHOs, why the angst?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using BariatricPal mobile app

To be honest, if they're on the FDA's radar for the ingredients used, I'd rather stay away from that product. Removing them from my daily use, is something I feel better doing. Knowing there are other products out there, that will give me the same outcome, I have no problem w/ making the needed adjustment.

DATEM, as a whole, is not good for the body and is an ingredient that should not be consumed. If you choose to continue, please do. For me, this is a personal choice.

I really am curious now. I may have missed another related post and if that's the case, I'm sorry for proving dense. But why do you think "they're on the FDA's radar for the ingredients used."? I just went to the FDA website and searched DATEM, and the FDA says its a safe ingredient used as an emulsifier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/15/2017 at 9:40 AM, heycrystal2052 said:

Hold up wait a minute, let me put a "WHAT!!? O.o" in it! Have you seen this?

This was on the worst of Proteins, list.

PREMIER
Protein

Protein shakes

Per 11 fl oz bottle, vanilla: 160 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 270 mg sodium, 4 g carbs (1 g Fiber, 1 g sugar), 30 g protein

Commonly used in over-processed breads, DATEM (DiAcetylTartaric acid Esters of Monoglycerides) is used as a shelf-stabilizing emulsifier in both dough and Protein Shake applications, as Protein Powder is notoriously difficult to mix with Water. Unfortunately, this additive is often made from artery-clogging partially hydrogenated oils, which the FDA will ban from food products starting in June 2018. Premier Proteinresponded to us and said their DATEM is only made from fully-hydrogenated oil—but why use it in the first place, when so many others don't?

This is what caused me to further look into the Protein Drinks.

22 minutes ago, heycrystal2052 said:

This is what caused me to further look into the Protein Drinks.

If you search well, you will find people also attacking the other popular emulsifier used in Protein Shakes (lecithin) saying it may contain hexane.

7 minutes ago, Middus said:

If you search well, you will find people also attacking the other popular emulsifier used in Protein Shakes (lecithin) saying it may contain hexane.

Per the FDA regulations, this product isn't on their watch list.

...Neither is DATEM. DATEM can be made from PHOs or other oils. Premier said their DATEM is not from PHOs.

thanks for posting this @heycrystal2052

maybe its bad, maybe its not. It is a cheap additive that the processed food industry and fast food industry love - and damn, they are more creative than big tobacco in finding ways to kill us.

There is only 1 study out there and while it was showed some negative results, it was on rats. Great start, but not the final word. There is no conclusive evidence either way, just educated guesses. So I agree with you, why take a chance?

As Dr. Weiner says, Protein drinks although essential in certain phases of the surgery, are still PROCESSED foods. He advises his patients to get off of them ASAP. I am still using them but much less (I limit to one or two a day).

I just bought 108 (big sale at costco using my Mom's account). I will be drinking them all. Once they are gone, I hope to be to the point where I don't need them.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:51 PM, gwbicster said:

As Dr. Weiner says, Protein Drinks although essential in certain phases of the surgery, are still PROCESSED foods. He advises his patients to get off of them ASAP. I am still using them but much less (I limit to one or two a day).

I just bought 108 (big sale at costco using my Mom's account). I will be drinking them all. Once they are gone, I hope to be to the point where I don't need them.

I had the Premier juice (I was taking that back any way), it was horrible. The shakes, I had two cases and Sam's happily took them back. Just as it was stated above, if you don't have a dire need for them, why drink something that is questionable? Almost two years out, I will focus more eating all of my Protein than drinking them. I did, however, buy a box of their bars and those appear to be just fine, so I kept those.

**I don't know how to remove posts, my apologies, I meant to quote Middus.

Edited by heycrystal2052

Preimer was highly recommended by my NUT.