Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is your 1st fill?

Hello everyone...I was banded 10/22/2007 and my first fill was scheduled for 12/07 BUT I changed it to 12/14. Dr. Ferrari will not give you a fill until at least 6 wks after surgery. I read some interesting information on one of the forums..which of course I cannot find again regarding fills. I will continue to search for it and once I find it I will post it in here. I haven't lost much weight..started at 219 and I am at 211. Oh one more thing somebody please help me, I cannot figure out how to put my ticker on! Thanks everyone!

I am going in for a second fill, because I can fit a Buick down my gob. (No really I tried it! The dealer was shocked, but he still made me pay full sticker!):omg:

Hehe. Amy, you crack me up. I, too, have swallowed several large automobiles in the last few weeks. I have my first fill tomorrow!!! Can not WAIT!

I did not get a fill at my appointment on Monday. I was nervous going in wondering what I should say when they ask how I am doing and if I think I need a fill. I really had been thinking I didn't need one- but it was freaking me out a little because many people do at this point. After talking to the dietician, exercise physiologist, and nurse, I ended up not getting one. Since I have been eating proper portions and not getting too hungry or needing to snack all the time between fills and an over 30 pound loss in 8 weeks, we decided against it. Since I am in the perfect zone right now, we decided to not fill. At my next appointment or if anything changes, they said to call and we can get a fill. But since hunger is being satisfied, then we should try to get as much longetivity out of the fills as we can. My program has a few people that have lost 100 pounds or more with no fills- though it is more common to need several fills over time. So I am riding this train as long as I can and then when I need a fill get one. I was like, "but what if I all of the sudden stop losing etc?" They said I am giving too much credit to the band. That I am doing this well because following the program/exercise and the band is aiding me. So it was scary, but rewarding to know that I am finally getting a handle on food. I go in in about 4-6 weeks or sooner if needed and then can get a fill at that time if need one.

Congrats on the loss - no stall ing there then!!

My first fill is tomorrow, and I too am feeling a little anxious - nothing though compared to pre-surgery. My loss is not great, but I am "in control" pretty much - but I don't know if this is mind over matter. Lots of resolution being used:rolleyes

My doc is really cautious and slow so I am not sure whether he will consider this good or not.

Exercise is my biggie - can't seem to get started - like always :help:

Carrot that is fab! You are really dedicated to improving yourself. You will see the rewards, you are doing marvelous darling. Keep riding that train, before you know it you will be there.

My train is rolling in at the station for a second time on Monday! Like I said I can fit anything in my mouth. I am still keeping my portion sizes down, and exercise, but it is a challenge. I am a firm believer if life doesn't have to be hard; then why make it hard. I know I will have some restriction on Tuesday. Toot-toot for me.

Tuesday I went for my first fill. They usually fill to 4cc but with 2cc I think I had too much so they took 1cc out. I feel pretty good today. My soft signs of being full are back and I can eat 1100-1200cal. I don't feel deprived. I hope this lasts. It is a comfortable spot and hopefully, I will continue to loose. 1cc doesn't seem like much but, I wondered for a long time it I'd ever need a fill. My clothes are starting to feel loose! :clap2:

Amy- this second fill may be the charm. How awesome it will be when you reach that perfect restriction. I know it will be soon! :)

Nume130- Isn't is great to have clothes start to be loose. Yeah for you!

Hi Carrot, and Tenancious Tens!

Yep, today was it!

I was a little anxious, but thanks to others posts I wasn't panicking!!

It was good - he was pleased with my progress.

I had (apparently) 2mls in a 10ml band, and so he took out the 2mls, and then filled it with 4, so I had 2 and now have four :)

I didn't need to drink, fluroscopy or anything.

I can definitely feel a slight difference, and I feel a bit more confident about this working for me future.

I have some Thyroid issues that need addressing, just borderline but he did mention it. I can tell you, if I need thryoxine after all this, and all these years, I'll be spewing LOL!

Anyway, I am soooooooo grateful I am feeling more in control of my food with Christmas approaching.

:hungry:Hi I am getting a fill this Thursday at the Fillcenter in ST. Petersburg Fl. I ws just wondering if anybody out there has used them. I am kind of nervous about a place who makes money filling LapBnads wanting to promote repeat business. They my underfill intentionally just to have you come right back and spend money for another. Of course there aren't alot of options for me m, most local doctors have told me no because I had it done in Mexico. Help Anyone?>:help:

The one or two local doctors here that perform the surgery don't want to do the fills because I had the surgery in Mexico.

I've had 2 fills now and no restriction going on yet. The first fill the doc couldn't draw any Fluid back but said "I'm in!" and now I wonder........ The 2nd fill a new nurse practitioner did it and she worked VERY hard at it, making me lie flat and then lifting my head up to tighten my stomach muscles, which lifts the port. She poked for a bit with no success, and withdrew the needle and took a breather. Then she went to the opposite side of the exam table and looked at me and said "how are you doing?" and I said "GO for it!" This time she had success, and pulled out 2 cc. Then she put those 2 back in and added .7 to it. It's the APS band so I think it holds 10. She asked it I wanted Lidocaine because on the first fill I did have it, but she said it makes it harder to find the port, because it makes a lump under the skin. So this time I said "OK no Lidocaine, just do it" and guess what? No big deal at all, no difference noted between Lidocaine and NO Lidocaine. I'll never use it again. But now I have to wait until January for another fill, and I'm having a hard time being patient.

I know this is all typical Bandster Hell stuff, but it feels like this was a bad joke and I threw $16,000 out the window and it's flying in the wind for all the people to pick up.

I work at "dieting" since that's the only thing I can do right now while waiting. I want to join Weight Watchers, but haven't. I do all the other "rules." My weight is just stable, not losing unless I return to all liquids, which I attempt over and over.

I'm reading a self-help book, and it says that many people are ambivalent about change - that it's intimidating because it's a journey into the unknown, so the committment to change is often wavering. The author says "people don't need to be 100% committed to change....... you only need to be at least 51% committed, because that will keep your momentum going forward." So I think of that quote a lot. When faced with a food challenge I say "Can I put something towards that 51% today?" and it helps me, because I can usually say "yes, I can do that today, at least for this meal." Maybe when I get some restriction finally, I'll be able to raise that percentage. But for now, it's only willpower and dieting pushing me on. We all know, all too well, how long that lasts. But I can go one more percent. That seems like a speedbump to climb - not a mountain.

There is a lot of mind power needed when you have a lap band. I knew going in, that there would be, but I had no idea just how much would be required. Would I do it again? I don't know yet. Right now I don't see the point. Maybe that point lies somewhere in 2008 for me.

Why do you have to wait until January? I got my second fill on Tuesday of this last week and didn't feel any different. So yesterday I called the office and got in in 45 minutes. Third fill has really helped. 2ccs total in a 10cc band (they hold 4-5cc's). Call your doctor and insist! There is no reason to wait. It's a pure waste of time. Be firm....