Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained almost all my weight back

Help....I am 2 years post op...had 20 lbs to lose to reach my goal....my sister had a stroke, my mother-in-law passed away now my father in-law is not well....oh yea and I lost my job...now I need to lose 50 pounds....I am not even going for my check-ups because I know the doctor will yell at me...I am so upset with myself....could someone give me any suggestions on how I can get back on track please

I'm so sorry for all that you have been going through. The basic advice I keep seeing is to go back to the basics--protein shakes, plenty of Water, eating Protein, following the rules . . . hope you can do this for yourself. Good luck!

I lost my father in April and now I have 30 pounds to lose before my 3 year check up. I made my appointment and hope that will be incentive to get back on track. I am going to go back to the basics as the poster above mentioned. 2 meals I am going to do shakes and then a healthy dinner and healthy Snacks. Also I am going to start using MFP again to log my food. Good luck to you!

13 hours ago, koppeyc said:

Help....I am 2 years post op...had 20 lbs to lose to reach my goal....my sister had a stroke, my mother-in-law passed away now my father in-law is not well....oh yea and I lost my job...now I need to lose 50 pounds....I am not even going for my check-ups because I know the doctor will yell at me...I am so upset with myself....could someone give me any suggestions on how I can get back on track please

I am so very sorry for your loss and recent family illnesses.

In essence, there's no magical secret to losing weight with a sleeve: Start doing the things that caused you to lose weight when you were first sleeved. Stop doing the things that have caused you to regain a massive amount of weight.

However, and I say this as sensitively as possible...weight loss should not be your primary focus right now. It's time to adopt coping skills that don't revolve around food as comfort. If you lose weight right now, will you regain when the next crisis arises due to turning to food?

90+ percent of success with weight loss post-sleeve is psychological. Your head must be fully in the game. Good luck to you, and I'll keep your family in my thoughts. :)

18 hours ago, koppeyc said:

I haven't had my surgery yet but I have lost substantial amounts of weight and gained it back. I would suggest you go in for counselling/therapy so you can learn how to deal with your feelings instead of overeating. Its a problem that a lot of overweight people have. The Biggest Loser contestant and winner-I believe Ali Vincent. Very successfully lost weight, won the show, had a television show and endorsements. She said in an interview she went for a massage and was fondled and sexually assaulted and she gained almost all of her weight back. When people are traumatized like you with your personal losses we tend to soothe ourselves. I know if I experienced that my first instinct would be to go for a bear claw with melted butter and vanilla ice cream-but dont get me started. You have to learn to take care of your emotions and figure out what triggers you and what you can do differently when adversity comes up.

What happen to family/ friends support, counselling? food is never the answer especially when you have struggled for years and now found relieve only to do it al over again. Pre-op diets may not work because you don't have the same momentum because there no surgery coming after. You may lose some but will always be in limbo because there is no accountability and if you cant do it for yourself then who would you do it for?!. Once you've open Pandora's Box its hard to go back! You need psychological help and not a diet. food is not to satisfy feelings and crisis but to nourish the body. As I write this note to you I am reading it for me too, so that I don't fall into this trap myself.

I am sorry for your loss. I wish all to be well.

You can always go back to your prep-op diet and take the steps over again. I have heard from people in my support group that when they gain, they just reset and follow the pre-op diet for about 2 weeks and start at the solid food stage again. They said that it works for them. Also they cut carbs down a lot.

You could also have gained the weight back from stress. Stress causes lack of sleep, lack of sleep causes the body to need energy, needing energy causes the body to feel hungry and feeling hungry causes you to eat more calories in a day then you are burning.

7 hours ago, Sammie1221 said:

What happen to family/ friends support, counselling? food is never the answer especially when you have struggled for years and now found relieve only to do it al over again. Pre-op diets may not work because you don't have the same momentum because there no surgery coming after. You may lose some but will always be in limbo because there is no accountability and if you cant do it for yourself then who would you do it for?!. Once you've open Pandora's Box its hard to go back! You need psychological help and not a diet. food is not to satisfy feelings and crisis but to nourish the body. As I write this note to you I am reading it for me too, so that I don't fall into this trap myself.

Whats wrong with therapy?????????????? Support groups, therapy, family and friends you need them all if you can get them. But maybe you don't want to discuss some things with family or friends

7 hours ago, NuNu2005 said:

Whats wrong with therapy?????????????? Support groups, therapy, family and friends you need them all if you can get them. But maybe you don't want to discuss some things with family or friends

Now, w/ this response, I'll agree. A part of me wants to believe "Sammie", is just trying to get a rise out of someone.

14 hours ago, Sammie1221 said:

A bit harsh, yeah?

1 minute ago, heycrystal2052 said:

A bit harsh, yeah?

I concur that Sammie's response may have been blunt. Nonetheless, it was truthful.

The original poster can definitely go on another diet and get back on track to lose the 50 pounds she's recently regained.

Still, unless she addresses the root cause of the weight gain (read: emotional overeating), she'll most likely turn to food for comfort and stress relief when the next situational crisis occurs, thereby regaining the pounds once again.

To succeed long-term after weight loss surgery in the lifelong maintenance phase, bariatric surgery recipients must learn and actively utilize coping skills to deal with life's ups and downs that don't involve overeating.

Again, I'll keep the original poster's family in my thoughts. I'll also silently root for her with the hope that she succeeds in losing the regain and maintaining the loss long term.

1 minute ago, Introversion said:

I concur that Sammie's response may have been blunt. Nonetheless, it was truthful.

The original poster can definitely go on another diet and get back on track to lose the 50 pounds she's recently regained.

Still, unless she addresses the root cause of the weight gain (read: emotional overeating), she'll most likely turn to food for comfort and stress relief when the next situational crisis occurs, thereby regaining the pounds once again.

To succeed long-term after weight loss surgery in the lifelong maintenance phase, bariatric surgery recipients must learn and actively utilize coping skills to deal with life's ups and downs that don't involve overeating.

Again, I'll keep the original poster's family in my thoughts. I'll also silently root for her with the hope that she succeeds in losing the regain and maintaining the loss long term.

100%, agree.

The way you stated it, is a bit more polite than Sammie. Based on what the OP said, I'd assume, they're very sensitive and hearing a response like yours, is a bit more welcoming and removes the blow of being so blunt.

55 minutes ago, heycrystal2052 said:

A bit harsh, yeah

The truth hurts sometimes...and that's what open our eye to the lies and excuses we feed/stuff ourselves! the last I checked you stated on another thread that each person is entitled to their own opinion ( so why you commenting on mine?!). The doctor is not going to pretty it up for her either that's why she cancel her up coming appt. Let the original poster comment on my opinion because she asked openly for advise and I gave her mine as many others did. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Sammie1221 said:

The truth hurts sometimes...and that's what open our eye to the lies and excuses we feed/stuff ourselves! the last I checked you stated on another thread that each person is entitled to their own opinion ( so why you commenting on mine?!). The doctor is not going to pretty it up for her either that's why she cancel her up coming appt. Let the original poster comment on my opinion because she asked openly for advise and I gave her mine as many others did. Thank you!

LOL, that's all I can do when it comes to your response. I did say that and I didn't say your opinion was wrong. Due to the emotional state of the OP, the truth can be said, but in a more mature manner. No worries, @Introversion handled that for you. Thanks for the response, it is appreciated.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:24 AM, Sammie1221 said:

Why are your panties in a bunch for someone responding to your opinion with their own opinion????? I recall you responding to my comment suggesting counseling for a person who is more than likely-as I am not there- eating for emotional reasons rather than nourishment as we all have-thats how we ended up here (some people ride on a HIGH HORSE)...Doesn't that make you a hypocrite? IJS If you want to make comments on the internet expect a response-again just MY OPINION

DA-N me siding with Heycrystal...Something I never expected