Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost enough weight pre-op to cancel?

I was on Metformin because I have PCOS and I didn't really lose weight. And after I hit 260 lbs, I couldn't lose another pound. Metformin is for diabetes or pre-diabetes and PCOS. It's not for losing weight.

Thank you for your insight on this. I am 41, 5'8" 215 lbs and my BMI is 32 (it was 35 when I qualified). I was able to qualify because my doctor started me on metformin last year when my A1C was 5.5 to try and delay the onset of type II diabetes. I only lost 2lbs while I was sick but continued to lose weight after that because I'm just not hungry, which I don't understand. My biggest problem with eating is that I never used to feel full. I could eat and eat and there was no sensation of fullness. Now I can eat maybe a cup of food and feel like I'm going to be sick. My pre-op diet is 5 Optifast shakes a day or roughly 800 calories. I was dreading it and not sure I could hack it but I'm having trouble getting in all 5 shakes. This is just really weird and not anything I've ever experienced...
I became overweight about 10 years ago after my first baby. Since then I've bounced back and forth with the same 20-30 lbs. I'd gain it back when pregnant lose it again afterwards but after my youngest 2 years ago, I never managed to get back below 225-230 until now. My family doctor thinks if I get below 200lbs my blood sugar issues will resolve so that's my primary goal. Being around 150-160lbs is more of an appearance goal.
My total out of pocket right now is $4500 and my approval is good for 6 months. If I wait until then, it will be around $11,500.
Here are my primary concerns:
1) spending $4500 on myself when I could spend it on something to benefit my whole family
2) I'm scared of what life is like post surgery. I've heard so many horror stories - can't eat vegetables, can't eat chicken, no energy, Hair loss, terrible indigestion & heartburn. My family is very active so the no energy is a big one for me and I hate fish so if that's my primary Protein source post-op I'm in trouble.
However, I am scared not to have tge surgery because I've never lost more than 30lbs before so 60lbs is a big deal. And what if I find myself back in the same situation where my stomach goes numb and I'm over eating again? Why can't the magic 8-ball be real and tell me what to do?
Is there anyone post-op who can tell me how it's been for you? Do you still feel normal? Are you miserable with the changes? Would you do it again?

I think the not being hungry thing is you preparing for the surgery. Literally all someone would have to do is MENTION the word food and *snap* just like that I was starving. About 3 weeks out from my surgery I went on vacation with my fiancé to South Dakota for a week. While there I literally barely ate. I just wasn't hungry. Now I'm on liquid pre op diet and she's eating fast food unless I cook for her and I'm still really not hungry. I think it is your mind subconsciously getting prepared for what's to come.

12 hours ago, JustJulie said:

You only needed to lose 60 pounds? No way in hell Would I have this surgery for that amount of weight. I thought you had to be at least 100 or more overweight to even qualify for it. I would cancel.

Not very supportive to a fellow wls member?? Amount of weight to lose is a factor but not all of it. I am going in tomorrow, and I need to lose about 40 lbs to get to my weight. I have already lost 40 since the beginning, but this next 40 is the 40 i have never been able to get rid of..... or keep off.

13 minutes ago, vsgdon said:

Not very supportive to a fellow wls member?? Amount of weight to lose is a factor but not all of it. I am going in tomorrow, and I need to lose about 40 lbs to get to my weight. I have already lost 40 since the beginning, but this next 40 is the 40 i have never been able to get rid of..... or keep off.

Your surgery is tomorrow? Please keep me posted! I go Wednesday. I don't know if it goes against board protocol but I'd be glad to give you my email address if that's easier.

I wish you the very best of luck. I sincerely appreciate all the encouragement and advice you've given me. I keep coming back to some of the things you've said and it makes me feel more comfortable with this decision.

On 8/2/2017 at 10:13 AM, Cober1 said:

I'm scared of what life is like post surgery. I've heard so many horror stories - can't eat vegetables, can't eat chicken, no energy, hair loss, terrible indigestion & heartburn. My family is very active so the no energy is a big one for me and I hate fish so if that's my primary Protein source post-op I'm in trouble.

I'm 2+ years post-sleeve and life is so much better. I eat chicken and fresh veggies all the time. In fact, I had chicken and roasted honey Sriracha Brussels sprouts for dinner yesterday.

I'm full of energy. I run 20+ miles a week and lift heavy weights 3 times weekly.

I don't have indigestion, acid reflux or heartburn.

Realize that most sleeved people suffer no complications. But, due to negativity bias, the unfortunate souls who had complications shout the loudest, so perceptions on the surgery's safety are skewed.

After all, few people post, "I had an uneventful recovery and reached my goal weight!" Most of the people who gripe/complain had poor outcomes, whereas the silent majority of WLS patients have been successful. The difference is that the success stories move on with their lives and are less inclined to run to internet forums with complaints.

I could lose weight before surgery...I was the yo-yo diet queen. I'm in my mid 30s and lost 200+ pounds in the 2 decades before surgery (lose 30, regain 50, lose 60, regain 90, rinse & repeat).

Nonetheless, I couldn't keep weight off.

Your chances of maintaining your current weight loss without surgery are less than 5 percent. The odds are stacked against you. However, if you feel uncomfortable, don't do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Edited by Introversion

You and I are almost in the same boat except I have not been approved yet - it was just submitted last week to insurance.

I am 4'11" and I am 184 pounds. My weight history is varied and I am 43 years old and really struggled since 27 when i had my last baby (17 years ago lol). I have been on weight watchers too many times to count. I have tried so many diets. During these 17 years I got down to about 137 twice, once right after I had the baby and went on WW and another time when I was going through the divorce diet. Most of the time I have been about 170 but up and down up and down, total yo-yo diet and up to 189. When I was 189 last time they denied me two years ago because the previous year I dropped below my BMI while on prescription weight loss pills. So I thought here I would try it again two years later as I am at 184. My cut off is like 174. The other day I was 179 because of the new blood pressure med I am on is making me pee tons. I am back up, though. I am so close to my BMI that the pre - op diet could screw me up.

So number one: I have never been able to keep the weight off myself.

Number two: I have never been low enough to make my medical issues decline.

Number three: I would like to lose weight and decrease my medications eventually.

I can lose 60 pounds and be close to my goal weight of 120.

I have type 2 diabetes, no insulin. I am headed that way. I hope to be off metformin with wls.

I have osteoarthritis in my back and neuropathy in my feet and hoping that by losing that I can be off the Lyrica I take or at least decrease it!

High blood pressure: It was 200/120 the other day - tell me now that I am too close to the cut off even if it is 60 pounds? Right? So with the new BP meds I am on I am closer to a normal BP range, but still I hope with WLS I can decrease my BP enough to be off meds.

sleep apnea: again WLS should help

Fatty Liver (non-alcoholic): I am sure it is all the cheese I eat. lol! But he told me five years ago if I don't lose weight that in 10 years I was looking at the beginning of cirrhosis, hows that for scary.

I am probably forgetting something but that should be enough.

My point is, even if you don't have much to lose, check out your past history and take into account your health and how WLS will be a tool to help you manage your weight loss.

My daughter said if I get denied: "Can't you just send a picture of yourself to the insurance company and they can see your body?" HAHA! It is true though, if they saw how I carry my weight in my waist and arms, upper back, they could tell I look like diabetic headed for a stroke.

That is my 60 pound story. If I was 100 pounds over weight I would probably be dead. Technically I could weight 100 pounds and still be in my weight range but 120ish is the goal.