Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight in the low 200lbs before surgery

Did anyone weigh in the low 200lb range before surgery? Which procedure did you go with & why?

Hello, I did, I am 5'5 and weighed 214 on the day of Surgery on 5-31-17. I had the sleeve done. I chose this life because my sister had the bypass done and she has such a restriction on food still and has a lot of dumping. My dad had the sleeve done 4 years ago and did gray on it. I will be 2 months out and 31 lb down. I'm back on a full diet but never feel hungry so I eat because it's time to eat. I feel great, back to full exercise everything. Loving life

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Your stats looks a lot like mine. I requested the sleeve & hope my doctor can do it. I had a previous stomach surgery so he's not sure of scar tissue until he gets in there. Not sure if I want the bypass if the sleeve can't be done. I don't want the rapid wt loss.

I weighed 218 lbs on surgery day. I choose the sleeve because, due to my short height, I had 100 pounds to lose in order to attain a normal BMI.

I didn't want a bypass because I didn't want to be left metabolically challenged several years from now. I didn't want a lap band because the maintenance lifestyle of fills and unfills wasn't for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I was 216 lbs in my consultation. I initially came to the clinic to get the lap band, but they told me the sleeve would be better suited for me. Why, because the lap band doesn't have a high successful weight loss just like the sleeve & the bypass would be too extreme for me.

Height: 5'0"

Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.

Surgery date: 2/13/17

Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).

Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.

My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

In my opinion the sleeve should be the default surgery for everyone unless they are dealing with:

1. Type 2 diabetes (especially if they are on insulin, or have trouble controlling their blood glucose levels)

2. GERD

3. food addiction (we all like to eat, but the true food addict would benefit from possible dumping and the malabsorption component)

4. Particularly high BMI.. in which case a DS might be a better option than RNY

5. Physiological factors (for example: lap bands can damage the stomach, making RNY a better option)

6. The patient doesn't want to risk "another surgery". RNY is "one-and-done" (usually). Sleeves sometimes need revision.

i was 208 on the day of my surgery. I had been up as high as 255 and I have type 2 diabetes. I went for the sleeve because I did not want my intestines touched. I am happy with my choice. My diabetes is gone and the weight is coming off.

I'm 204 right now and my surgery date is 9/2. I hope to lose a little before then, but I don't want to lose too much as to disqualify myself from surgery. I'm 5'7" (sometimes 7.5 on a tall day). In the past several years, I've been as high as 245, and as low as 186. My goal weight is 140. I just know I can't do this on my own and sustain any progress. No doctor in the US would approve me, and so I'm going to Tijuana to get sleeved. I don't understand the mentality in the US that you don't "need" bariatric surgery until your BMI is over 35. It doesn't make sense to me.

You should be able to have it, I have had 11 surgeries including three C-sections full hysterectomy appendix out bowel restriction and they were still able to perform the sleeve. I wish you luck in this is the best path that I could have ever taken. I'm loving the results I love be able to go into a gym again. And I love playing with my six grandchildren without being out of breath

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I weighed 218 lbs on surgery day. I choose the sleeve because, due to my short height, I had 100 pounds to lose in order to attain a normal BMI.
I didn't want a bypass because I didn't want to be left metabolically challenged several years from now. I didn't want a lap band because the maintenance lifestyle of fills and unfills wasn't for me.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Same. 5.2 I had over 100lbs to lose. At 244 now I have 80 to lose. :) congrats on your journey.

Sent from my Swift 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was 216 lbs in my consultation. I initially came to the clinic to get the lap band, but they told me the sleeve would be better suited for me. Why, because the lap band doesn't have a high successful weight loss just like the sleeve & the bypass would be too extreme for me.
Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

Your 5.0 I don't think normal BMI is 140 as I'm 5.2 normal BMI for me is 136/137lbs.

But I bet you look great. I think people look normal weight about 28 BMI.
My sw was 244 now 224 about my surgery was 4th July. Would love to know what you eat etc. And how you feel being a normal size do people treat you different.

17 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

Your 5.0 I don't think normal BMI is 140 as I'm 5.2 normal BMI for me is 136/137lbs.

Yep. I'm 5'1. 130 lbs would have placed me at a 24 BMI, which is the upper limit of normal weight. I currently weigh 118, placing me at a BMI of 22.

Someone who's exactly 5 feet tall has a normal BMI range of 98 to 127 pounds. Of course, BMI doesn't take other factors such as muscle mass into account.

Yep. I'm 5'1. 130 lbs would have placed me at a 24 BMI, which is the upper limit of normal weight. I currently weigh 118, placing me at a BMI of 22.
Someone who's exactly 5 feet tall has a normal BMI range of 98 to 127 pounds. Of course, BMI doesn't take other factors such as muscle mass into account.

Wow!! 118 is just a dream I don't think I could get there I can dream haha 130 from 244(now 224) seems unrealistic to me. can I ask your start weight . how long it took you to get there. And what you ate daily and if you excersise? Its nice so see someone who got to their goal.

6 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

can I ask your start weight . how long it took you to get there. And what you ate daily and if you excersise? Its nice so see someone who got to their goal.

On surgery day my weight was 218 pounds. It took almost 18 months for me to lose 100 pounds and get to my goal weight. I was a slower loser.

I resumed exercise at 3 months post-op. I started with a walk/jog routine and worked my way up to running 30+ miles a week. I've cut back to 20 miles of running weekly because I now lift weights 3 times per week.

I increased my calories in an incremental stair-step pattern: 800 calories a day by the 3rd month, 1000 calories daily by the 4th month, 1200 to 1500 calories daily by the 6th month, 1500 calories by the 9th month, and 1700 to 1800 calories a day by 1 year out.

I now eat 2000+ calories daily in maintenance.

On surgery day my weight was 218 pounds. It took almost 18 months for me to lose 100 pounds and get to my goal weight. I was a slower loser.
I resumed exercise at 3 months post-op. I started with a walk/jog routine and worked my way up to running 30+ miles a week. I've cut back to 20 miles of running weekly because I now lift weights 3 times per week.
I increased my calories in an incremental stair-step pattern: 800 calories a day by the 3rd month, 1000 calories daily by the 4th month, 1200 to 1500 calories daily by the 6th month, 1500 calories by the 9th month, and 1700 to 1800 calories a day by 1 year out.
I now eat 2000+ calories daily in maintenance.

Thanks for answering. I was told 800 till goal. What made you increase at 6m?