Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I had my preop with my surgeon two days ago in prep for final insurance submission. In that meeting, my surgeon said that band to sleeve conversion patients tend to not lose as much as people who've never had any sort of weight loss surgery. This seemed odd to me that this was never brought up for vet the past 9 months that we've worked together. It kind of made my heart sink for him to tell me that I should probably expect a 60-70 weight loss in total out of the 160 that I'd like to lose.

I'm wondering if there are any patients who are band to sleeve conversion who have actually met or exceeded their goal weight? My surgeon said that most patients will lose 60 out of 100 pounds for band to sleeve conversions, but that seems odd to me as the friends of mine who are straight VSG patients have all met their goals.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Amy

Hi Amy... I am an overweight RN, and thought I was asking my Doc all the right questions when I had the VSG Aug. 1, 2013.

I was approaching 300 lbs when I had the VSG. I had just lost my beautiful husband of 33 years and was grieving pretty hard. After my surgery, I happily lost 135 lbs. When I'd eat too much, the pressure in my sleeve would let me know I'd better stop eating. Thennn I started acclimating to more and more to feel full. I was never told that my sleeve could stretch. I wasn't eating THAT much at one time, but I was "steadily eating" small amounts of cheese, rice cakes, restaurant left-overs, etc in the evenings. This binge eating led me to gain back 45 lbs, and I began to feel hopeless again. I was so ashamed that I refused to return to the surgeon, even though he had an excellent nutritionist on staff.

I saw something on Dr. Oz last week about Intermittent Fasting. I must have been living under a rock, because I had never heard this term before. I began watching YouTube videos (because I am a visual learner and need frequent reinforcement) and one of the coaches used the term "Bulletproof Coffee" I Googled this, and learned the creator was a bio-hacker from Silicon Valley. His "Brain Octane", (high end high-priced coconut oil also referred to as MCT Oil - Medium Chain Triglyceride) costs $28.99 for a 16 oz bottle at Whole Foods, but the less expensive brands of MCT Oil were @ $16.00. I deliberated at the register, and at the last minute I sprung for the Brain Octane. I am thrilled with this choice, for now, but I might try the cheaper MCT Oil when this 16 oz is depleted in several weeks.

The first video I caught on YouTube was a Tedx Talk:

Why fasting bolsters brain power: Mark Mattson at TEDx Talks -

Professor of Neuroscience at The Johns Hopkins University

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

Fasting 12, 16, 18, 20 hours... mostly while you sleep, has INCREDIBLE benefits. I was taught that Breakfast was the most important meal of the day. Watch the professor's video. He encourages his listeners to stop eating after 7 pm, and not to eat again until 11 am the next day, in order to give the body a chance to burn off stored fat (it takes approx 10-12 hours to burn off a typical meal). If you will let your sleeve work FOR you, (most Intermittent Fasters would kill to have the sleeve advantage) I think you will be encouraged, and you'll get to your goal weight !! I have only been doing the Intermittent Fasting 8 days (eating only supper) and a few healthy Snacks for 2-3 hours afterwards, then nothing until the next day. My metabolism has jumped into geer, and i have been a fat-burning machine for just over a week. I lost 12 lbs in 8 days, and this almost-60 year old woman FINALLY has hope again. I have a college reunion to attend in mid Sept, then I plan to start eating lunch again, or alternating my 12-16 hour fasts with my 20 hour fasts. The first 4 days getting rid of carbs can make you hungry, but swallowing a tsp of MCT oil or adding it to one's coffee or shake is so helpful. Good luck with your surgery. You'll do fine !

I am 4.5 months out from my band to sleeve revision and my surgeon and nutritionist told me the exact same thing -- Band to sleevers don't lose as much weight as virgin sleevers. The reasoning is that we are not at our highest weights ever when we get revised AND our pouches are not as small as virgin sleevers because our "damaged" stomachs from the bands prevent the surgeons from making a smaller sleeve.

That said -- I am 4.5 months post-revision and am down close to 91 pounds. I have 45lbs more to goal. My surgeon and nutritionist are both shocked at how much I've lost and are super supportive of me. I hope they rethink their position on band to sleevers not losing as much weight. I have, however, put in alot of hard work. I am exercising 4-5 days per week for an hour --- cardio plus weight lifting and then doing yoga and walking 2-3 miles on my "off" days. I am a vegan and religiously stick to my meal plan -- 800 calories/day; 60g of Protein and 100 ounces of Water - and I log everything I put into my mouth, even on days when I've not made the best choices. It's not easy, but I am fighting hard to get to goal.

Edited by kristenmh

Band to sleeve conversion in April~ down 60 of 100 pounds and love it- it might be a little slower than virgin sleepers but it's coming off and it wasn't before- my surgeon has no doubt will get to my goal. It's really different than the band though- full is a completely different feeling. I also log everything and eat 60-80 grams of Protein a day. Good Luck! So worth it!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, ladies. I know that we will get out of it what we put into it and I plan to put my all into this. Good luck to all of you!

Hi, I had my preop with my surgeon two days ago in prep for final insurance submission. In that meeting, my surgeon said that band to sleeve conversion patients tend to not lose as much as people who've never had any sort of weight loss surgery. This seemed odd to me that this was never brought up for vet the past 9 months that we've worked together. It kind of made my heart sink for him to tell me that I should probably expect a 60-70 weight loss in total out of the 160 that I'd like to lose.

I'm wondering if there are any patients who are band to sleeve conversion who have actually met or exceeded their goal weight? My surgeon said that most patients will lose 60 out of 100 pounds for band to sleeve conversions, but that seems odd to me as the friends of mine who are straight VSG patients have all met their goals.

Amy

I've heard that also they came to that conclusion that we lose slower because our metabolism has already taken a hit and is a bit shot. Personally, I didn't loose much with the band, maybe 20 lbs., I was nowhere near goal. I immediately has issues with it post op. That being said my new surgeon who did my revision doesn't feel like it should be an issue getting to 170 and even 160 which is about a 120-130 loss. It may take longer but I didn't gain all this weight overnight either. I will admit stalls are frustrating as hell, there is no consistency in losing. Time of the month bloat and Water retention is evil and messes with your head. I began to workout 6 days a week at 4 weeks post-op, cardio and strength. I always eat my Protein first and if it's not a day where I can meet my protein requirements Premier is there aS a pinch hitter for me. Like the others I log all food that I put in my mouth, even the occasional bad stuff. Just take it one day at a time. Best of luck!!

Band to VSG revision:5/23/17

HW: 315

Pre-op: 294

SW: 283

CW: 246

GW: 175

You just made my entire week! Like I said to my surgeon, the statistics give are nationwide and not program wide. He agreed and said that if I want it, I will have it. My only unknown is the fact that I've had a total thyroidectomy two years ago and have Hashimoto's disease which is a huge part of my problem. I too lost very little with the band, 35 pounds in total, and had issues from 90 days post op and they continued for the 12.5 years that I had the band.

I know that this isn't for everyone, and I didn't go into this without serious thought. Having had the band for some years did teach me a bit about how to eat and I still maintain those practices today. I feel like I'm not the only in these shoes and know that I will do well.

Thanks so much for writing and helping me see that we can succeed! Congrats on your loss so far. You've done amazing!

You just made my entire week! Like I said to my surgeon, the statistics give are nationwide and not program wide. He agreed and said that if I want it, I will have it. My only unknown is the fact that I've had a total thyroidectomy two years ago and have Hashimoto's disease which is a huge part of my problem. I too lost very little with the band, 35 pounds in total, and had issues from 90 days post op and they continued for the 12.5 years that I had the band.

I know that this isn't for everyone, and I didn't go into this without serious thought. Having had the band for some years did teach me a bit about how to eat and I still maintain those practices today. I feel like I'm not the only in these shoes and know that I will do well.

Thanks so much for writing and helping me see that we can succeed! Congrats on your loss so far. You've done amazing!

Awww thank you! [emoji5] Your doctor is right if you want it and work for it you'll see results. It is day and night from the band. People talk about band restriction, what?!? I was only ever stuck, sick or hungry for 9,5 years. This is a whole new ball game. I had a TON of scar tissue, it was all over my spleen and liver and everywhere else inside. It took the doctor forever to operate, my husband thought something terrible had happened.

You'll see the difference is incredible. I'm not very familiar with Hashimoto's, just try to research as much as you can about your condition and VSG. Even though we had that band mindset and should know how to eat post-op for me it was a learning experience and still is. A few bites of a Protein and I'm done. The band was never like that for me.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Band to VSG revision:5/23/17
HW: 315
Pre-op: 294
SW: 283
CW: 249
GW: 175

I'm considering revision banded 2008 lost 60 have regained 30. With the sleeve, do you feel full/satisfied with the small meals? Because with the band I'm always hungry,I just stop eating because of the pain/restrictions.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, amlpn said:

I'm considering revision banded 2008 lost 60 have regained 30. With the sleeve, do you feel full/satisfied with the small meals? Because with the band I'm always hungry,I just stop eating because of the pain/restrictions.

For a moment I thought I was reading a post that I had forgotten I had written ! I was banded in 2008 - lost 90 lbs but gained 60 back. I am doing this sleeve because I have tried so hard to lose the weight back - with only heartache and feeling of failure. My fear is still there - what if I fail - AGAIN? I know it isn't a good mindset to have - but it's temporary. I will be more positive - just need some encouragement and success stories. :)

I think it's normal to have these thoughts.

May I ask why you want a sleeve instead of a bypass?

On 8/7/2017 at 1:12 PM, JanetNBama said:

For a moment I thought I was reading a post that I had forgotten I had written ! I was banded in 2008 - lost 90 lbs but gained 60 back. I am doing this sleeve because I have tried so hard to lose the weight back - with only heartache and feeling of failure. My fear is still there - what if I fail - AGAIN? I know it isn't a good mindset to have - but it's temporary. I will be more positive - just need some encouragement and success stories. :)

I think that having the fear of failure is natural, especially when comparing anything to the band. The amount of people who do this conversion seem to make up most of my doctors surgical cases. I am not afraid of failure, you can't not lose weight with the sleeve initially, but I my only concern is not making it to MY weight goal due to Hashimoto's, lack of a thyroid, and being a previous bander. I know that I will have to work harder to get there, but I wouldn't entertain this surgery if I wasn't 100% read to face this head on. I think that's what has kept me forward-moving, even when I had trepidations.

My surgery is 3 weeks from tomorrow, a week to the day after my 51st birthday, and I feel as though I'm giving myself the greatest gift that I could even give myself. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward. A positive attitude is worth more than its weight in gold!

Edited by themaestroswife

On 7/15/2017 at 1:07 AM, themaestroswife said:

Amy

I am only 5 weeks out, and I have lost 34 pounds since surgery, 45 lbs total,.. and it's effortless!! I am losing way faster and way easier with the sleeve so I don't know why the surgeons think that is the true statistic.. I wonder if it's more common among those who have only had their bands a few years and their body is still in the shock mode of WLS in general? For me, I think I'll actually easily surpass my goal of 160 because I'm only 5 weeks out and 37 pounds away from that goal . Good luck to you!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I know that having a 13 year surgery gap may make some difference in the end, so I'll keep the positive and push the negative as everyone is different.

6 minutes ago, themaestroswife said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I know that having a 13 year surgery gap may make some difference in the end, so I'll keep the positive and push the negative as everyone is different.

I am hoping that my body reset itself or something. I didn't lose more than 15 pounds with the lapband. I never had that wls shock that caused weight loss, so I am really hoping it will happen this time!