Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess I'll just wait and see. I've had sooooo many conflicting answers between insurance, coordinator and friends. If it happens, it happens

I know this reply is late but...I would download the Anthem App. I experienced lot of back and forth too. But once I got the app and put in my info in EVERYTHING was spelled out in black n white. It tracks how much has been applied to your deductible, max out-of-pocket, all the surgerys they cover at which hospitals etc. I had to do a 6 mo pre op weight checks btw. But I've heard of ppl getting credit for weight checks-supervised diets done previously.

I went for my first appointment about a week ago. Had the majority of the testing required for insurance. When I met with the patient coordinator she told my my insurance required 4 months of nutrition and exercise counseling. I thought it was 6 months (I have Anthem BCBS). Does anyone else have Anthem? What have you been told?

I have BCBS IOWA I have to do 6 months supervised diet and can not have a gain.

This is the Bariatric Surgery Policy for Anthem: https://www.anthem.com/medicalpolicies/policies/mp_pw_a053317.htm

My understanding is that different plans and states can have variations of this. For my plan (Anthem BCBC or California PPO) when I called Anthem to ask about the policy they directed me to look at that page. If you call your insurance and they don't give you a straight answer ask them if medical policy SURG.00024 is the policy that your plan uses or if there is a different one. Each plan should have a very clearly defined medical policy for coverage of any surgery included in that plan.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield as well. When I started this process in February I called Blue Cross Blue Shield to check on the requirements. They sent me a list of all of the criteria that I needed to have completed. I suggest calling Blue Cross Blue Shield and they will be able to give you the information and send you out a paper that gives you all of the criteria.

I have to do 6 months. I have BCBS of Iowa

I called BCBS, asked for requirements. They told me ask my hospital and WLS team. My team dropped the ball, failed to tell me I had to do 6 months supervised weight and education. I was supposed to have surgery in October. Now my date is Dec. 14th. Still waiting for insurance approval.