Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to get some things off of my chest because lately I feel like I pretty much have to be on a diet with the band. I understand it is a tool but I don't understand why people say they count calories and measure everything. Don't you think if I could count calories and measure everythng that I would have been able to diet without the band? I see some people just say they eat whatever they want just in smaller portions and then I see people say count calories. I guess I just don't understand the fact that I paid 12,000 dollars to count calories. Am I the only one that feels this way?:help:

Hi Missy

I hear you. I will not count calories or buy those weird protien powders. I want to eat real, healthy, nutritious food. I am also a self pay, I paid 16 thousand to get some restriction, to help me control my portion size.

I am only a month out- I do count calories but at this point it is really for future reference-for instance if I have a plateau I can go back and look at a really good week and see what I ate that week-some combos of foods work better at shedding the pounds- also am trying to be mindful of what I am eating- I may not count the calories obsessively every day but I do try to be conscious of it-if anything I would keep track of the protein-this is very important-it is not necessary to calorie count if you are following the banding instructions given to you by your doctor.

I am a calorie and Protein counter. I don't have to but for ME it helps a great deal. It's not necessary, you need to do what works for you.

One thing I usually suggest is that if you are not losing you might be consuming more calories than you think and for THOSE people many suggest tracking it. Sometimes we don't realize what we are consuming.

If you are losing weight and not tracking food then don't worry about it. But the band really is a tool and not a magic cure. You need to find what works for you and stick with it.

One thing I usually suggest is that if you are not losing you might be consuming more calories than you think and for THOSE people many suggest tracking it. Sometimes we don't realize what we are consuming.

I'm one of those who had no idea who many calories they were consuming. When I started writing down what I ate everyday, I would look it over and think that wasn't a bad day. But even after writing it down, I found I really had no concept of calories/fat/carbs. It wasn't until I started logging my food on fitday.com that I was able to really see what I was eating. While I continue to have good and bad days, my bad days aren't as bad as they used to be because I am now able make an informed choice.

I'd like to thank everyone who recommends logging food on the various sites. It wasn't my nutritionist who convinced me, it was all of you here at LBT.

I am only a month out- I do count calories but at this point it is really for future reference-for instance if I have a plateau I can go back and look at a really good week and see what I ate that week-some combos of foods work better at shedding the pounds- also am trying to be mindful of what I am eating- I may not count the calories obsessively every day but I do try to be conscious of it-if anything I would keep track of the protein-this is very important-it is not necessary to calorie count if you are following the banding instructions given to you by your doctor.

I totally understand that counting calories is the key. But why should I count calories if I should lose weight with restriction alone?

You can lose weight with restriction alone but for most folks it really helps to count calories. Just try and stick to good small meal portions and see how you do.

but look at how much weight you have lost!!!

Yes I am very happy with the weight loss thus far but the scale will not budge lately. My doctor retired at the end of July so I feel kind of abandoned even though I know he needed to do what was necessary for him.

I was banded in Aug '07, and I have been using fitday to keep a food journal. I do this because my nutritionist suggested it. I never was a counter before, but now that I use fitday, I hate to say it but it is almost fun. I get really mad if I skip a few days and then can't remember what I ate. I an a techno junkie, and love gadgets, so I guess counting with fitday appeals to that part of me. I do know people who have lost lots of weight with the band, and never counted a thing except the weight falling off. It's all about making smart food choices, Portion Control, and excerise. Just as with any other diet plan. The difference with the band, is if one uses it properly, the portion control comes without work. And for me the portion control was always my downfall.

Thats JMO,

Jim

I see two distinctly different things happening here, and perhaps you're confusing the messages.

Thing 1 = people report they personally count calories

Thing 2 = you don't understand why you should

Saying people do something is not saying you should do it.

E.g. - I totally understand that counting calories is the key. But why should I count calories if I should lose weight with restriction alone?

The poster was not saying you should, she was saying she does.

If you're fine without counting calories, then don't worry about it. No one is telling you that you should.

here's my look at all this. First of all you will find in time that its very easy to eat around the band if you want to (ie grazing). So yes I'm not eating the huge volumes of food I was before..but I can easily keep on snacking all day long if I don't watch myself. I do weight watchers because it is just another tool to help me realize what is going on with my eating habits. For a couple of years I refused to count calories..cause I also thought thats why I had the surgery was so I didn't have to think about my weight loss anymore..it would just "happen". So with me..the band would take me so far without me thinking about what went into my mouth..I lost about 60 pounds over the years..but then I was stuck and started fluctuating 10 pounds back and forth. Soo I got sick of weight loss stalling and figured I had to do more to get to the end. In fact the doctor's all told me I would have to do my part too..I just really didn't listen I think. Anyways..so I started picking up excercise and also decided on weight watchers. It's been great to get me going again. Anyways everyone has to do their own thing and figure out what works. It's a war I tell ya no matter what

I totally understand that counting calories is the key. But why should I count calories if I should lose weight with restriction alone?

Because it is your responsibility what goes in your mouth and you don't lose with restriction alone. A jar of frosting would go right down, so what does restriction have to do with food choices?

It's no different from a diabetic who has the responsibility of counting calories AND measuring blood sugar four times daily. Some of us have to do it, some don't.

Just because you have a band does not mean you won't absorb the calories that go in your mouth. You have choices, you can drink a milkshake or you can eat a piece of chicken. If you make poor choices you won't lose weight regardless if you have a band or not.

There is no magic cure-all to weight loss. You do it or you don't.

here's my look at all this. First of all you will find in time that its very easy to eat around the band if you want to (ie grazing). So yes I'm not eating the huge volumes of food I was before..but I can easily keep on snacking all day long if I don't watch myself. I do weight watchers because it is just another tool to help me realize what is going on with my eating habits. For a couple of years I refused to count calories..cause I also thought thats why I had the surgery was so I didn't have to think about my weight loss anymore..it would just "happen". So with me..the band would take me so far without me thinking about what went into my mouth..I lost about 60 pounds over the years..but then I was stuck and started fluctuating 10 pounds back and forth. Soo I got sick of weight loss stalling and figured I had to do more to get to the end. In fact the doctor's all told me I would have to do my part too..I just really didn't listen I think. Anyways..so I started picking up excercise and also decided on weight watchers. It's been great to get me going again. Anyways everyone has to do their own thing and figure out what works. It's a war I tell ya no matter what

I am with Dibaby - I too am a WW person (i don't go to meeting) but I use what I have learned in WW. You say you aren't losing - well that mean too many calories in and not enough going out. You need to make healhty food choices and exercise - the band only does 25% of the work and the other 75% is up to you..

I

Because it is your responsibility what goes in your mouth and you don't lose with restriction alone. A jar of frosting would go right down, so what does restriction have to do with food choices?

It's no different from a diabetic who has the responsibility of counting calories AND measuring blood sugar four times daily. Some of us have to do it, some don't.

Just because you have a band does not mean you won't absorb the calories that go in your mouth. You have choices, you can drink a milkshake or you can eat a piece of chicken. If you make poor choices you won't lose weight regardless if you have a band or not.

There is no magic cure-all to weight loss. You do it or you don't.

Well said as ususal:clap2::clap2::clap2:

IndigoGirl...

I read a post on another board recently by a guy who went to Ortiz for his surgery. He was really angry with Dr. Ortiz because he had to watch what he ate. He felt for the $10K or whatever he spent the band should do everything for him. For that kind of money the pounds should just magically fall off overnight. He was absolutely furious over this and thought it was all Dr. O's fault.

What are people thinking? I don't understand this. How can anyone go into this surgery without fully understanding how everything works? He wasn't exercising, he wasn't eating right and he wasn't losing. He was at least thankful that he wasn't gaining but he believes he's been duped.

Let's just say we had a chat and he at least understands how things work.

Amazing.

I guess it goes with the attitude that some folks have. If you spend enough money you can get whatever you want. Well, that doesn't always work. Sometimes you spend a lot of money for a great tool that helps YOU do the work. At least, that's how my band works for me. HA!